Go Back   Boxer Board > SHOW BOXER FORUMS > Showing - questions and answers

Showing - questions and answers For exchanging tips and general information on showing boxers in the conformation ring.

Closed Thread

Old 10th November 2005, 07:40 AM
Boxer Booster

Professional Handlers vs Owner/Handler

I plan on showing my own dog and one day finishing him. In a perfect world i wiould love to do it all on my own, but i am sure i will use a professional handler at least once.

Since i have been researching the show ring, it seems that Professional handlers are preferred if you want to finish your dog. It seems like it is an uphill battle for owner/handlers if you take that route to finish your dog. I know that the Boxer ring is very competitive, but from the judges perspective, owner/handlers are at a disadvantage from the start, even if you have a very nice show dog.

My question is why? I am going to show my own dog as much as i can but i just would like to hear some other opinions or experiences.
Sponsored Links

Old 10th November 2005, 08:39 AM
Boxer Insane

It is my understanding that, for the most part, pros are just better. They've been handling for a long time, have had much more experience and have the skill to make a dog look good. That, and some people are just naturally good dog handlers so turn "pro".

Old 10th November 2005, 04:36 PM
Super Boxer

Well, I did finish my bitch and I put all of the points on her myself. So, I certainly think it is possible. I think it depends on how good a handler you are (some people have a knack for it, others are plain terrible - I think I was just okay), and I think it depends a lot on the dog as well. I think that as an owner handler you need to have a VERY good dog or it is going to be an uphill battle.
So, it might be harder to show your dog as an owner-handler but the sense of achievement is something special too - especially when you are beating out professionals for a major win.

I think that everyone who wants to handle their own dog (and finish it) needs to take a very objective look at their skills and their dog. It might be that with your first show dog - that you can put singles on the dog, but then you need help from a professional to get those majors.
It makes sense to me that professionals are better than the owner handlers - afterall, this is their livelihood - they had better know how to make a dog look good. Some of it is probably political as well - but there are judges out there who are prepared to put up dogs handled by their owners.

Old 10th November 2005, 07:32 PM
Boxer Insane

I personally am handling Ninya a little (small shows) and using a handler. I have just gotten into showing and Ninya is my first. I have taken some classes but I know I am not as good as those that grew up showing dogs.

My handler can get NIn stacked in seconds and knows how to make her look her best. I am always fumbling around and trying to not trip :-) She is not nervous out there and frankly looks like a pro.

I also like watching Ninya show. It is fun to be ringside with a catalog and watching the show. It is certianly more fun for me than being nervous and worried :-)

Also-- using a handler means i can get Ninya to more shows. I am sending her to a 5 day show in Dec. Due to work and showing my other dogs in agility and obed it is hard to get to all the shows. I also can't take off work 3-4 days a month to travel to the shows. My handler has a motor home set up for transporting dogs, they have all the grooming supplies, they have the x-pens, crates ringside, matching leads etc.

That said- I am showing her next weekend at a 1 pt show. Wish us luck!
Regal's Full of TENder Grace

Old 10th November 2005, 08:50 PM
Boxer Buddy

I will give you the opinion of someone who is a little of both. I have been showing dogs since October 2002. I began by working for a handler in my area and worked for him a little less than a year. I have since stopped working for him and started to handle dogs for clients of my own. I just got Gable, my first show dog of my own. I plan to handle him myself to his championship. Coming from someone who can see it both ways I would say take handling classes and get into the ring and see how you like it. Some people just have a nack for handling and others don't. You never know if you don't try. As far as advantages go, as others have said, professionals are just better, have more experience and know the judges and what they like and how to present the dog to it's best advantage. On the other hand you have a distinct advantage over the pros. You live with your dog 24/7 and know it's faults and strenghts like the back of your hand, or at least you should, as well as what makes your dog tick. You have unlimited time to work with your dog and perfect your show ring presentation. Most handlers usually show between 5-15 dogs a day, and trust me they don't have the same bond with their charges like you have with your pet. So my advise would be to get into the ring, see if you like it and go from there. Oh yeah, don't forget to have fun. Because if you aren't, your dog isn't.

Old 11th November 2005, 06:23 AM
Super Boxer

I know that I am more nervous watching from the sidelines than when I am in the ring actually doing......Star's breeder has been shown her a couple of times in breed (I certainly don't feel qualified to do that), and I have been sooooooo nervous from the sidelines - in my opinion it is better to be in the ring than watching.

Good luck with Ninya this weekend!

Old 11th November 2005, 07:10 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Jane
in my opinion it is better to be in the ring than watching.
I agree! I very much enjoy showing my own but every year my nerves get the best of me and I make arrangments to use a handler for Nationals. I do enjoy having the chance to watch my dog show but it never fails, after several minutes of watching, I'm wishing I was handling!

Old 14th December 2005, 08:46 AM
Boxer Booster

Talking Kudo's to you, i can't do it

You know. My boy is teaching me more than he's learning from me. I had the painful realization that he would NEVER win with me at the lead...so...i called my breeder explained my complete inability to figure out what the heck was right or wrong and she came to the rescue....as usual...I LOVE THEM!!!

We're going to use professional handlers for conformation, BUT so i can feel better about myself and improve upon my complete lack of skill in the ring...or training for the ring...I'll be handling him in MATCHES. So the important stuff gets the handler...the MATCHES get me. SUPER UNCOORDINATED MOMMY!

That's the plan. I wanted to be all elegant and in control and make him look his best and it just doesn't 'flow' for me. I'll just sit on the sidelines biting my nails while my baby goes out their and shakes his bon bon for the judges. Our first real show is in Febrary.

Old 14th December 2005, 08:57 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojoe
Our first real show is in Febrary.
The Indy shows?

Old 14th December 2005, 09:32 AM
Boxer Insane

There's a show here in Colorado in Febuary too! We are getting our first show pup on Monday and we have decided that we are going to handle him ourselves, at least for now while he's a puppy. I've found some highly recommended classes to take.

Old 14th December 2005, 10:52 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilygirlCO
There's a show here in Colorado in Febuary too! We are getting our first show pup on Monday and we have decided that we are going to handle him ourselves, at least for now while he's a puppy. I've found some highly recommended classes to take.
Congrats! It'll be interesting to see how your little guy turns out. Good luck and I'm sure you're gonna have fun handling him yourself!

Old 28th December 2005, 05:46 PM
Boxer Insane

I also think politics play a HUGE role in conformation. Sad but true.