Go Back   Boxer Board > SHOW BOXER FORUMS > Showing - questions and answers

Showing - questions and answers For exchanging tips and general information on showing boxers in the conformation ring.

Closed Thread

Old 26th August 2005, 11:55 AM
Super Boxer

cropped ears - healing time

I was just wondering what was a common amount of time for the ears to heal before being able to tape. I am getting the stitches out around 10 days after but how long after that? Just wondering what most people have experianced.

Old 26th August 2005, 12:35 PM
Boxer Insane

I think in most cases the ears should have healed adequately at 10 days or so when the stitches are removed to tape the same day. In our case, the ears had soft foam inserts leaving the edges exposed so they healed almost immediately and were standing the whole time. The day the stitches were removed the breeder taped them, changed the tape weekly about 3 times and that was it. Hope all goes well.

Old 26th August 2005, 01:13 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

the vet taped maverick's ears after 10 days. good luck!!
Striper our fat kitty

Old 26th August 2005, 02:11 PM
Boxer Insane

after surgery, the stitches and/or staples usually get removed after about 10 days.
once removed the taping begins and the quest towards perfectly erect ears begins.....

Old 11th October 2005, 11:59 AM
Boxer Buddy

ours started being taped right away. Vet said its better to start now. we used foam with skinbond right after cropping, but it feel out after a day so we used the styrafoam cup method. it keeps the stiches open to heal and so you can clean them.. here is a picture...

http://tinypic.com/ei13bd.jpg

Old 11th October 2005, 01:22 PM
Boxer Buddy

I'm sorry to go against the grain here.

But why do you crop your dogs ears?

It's illegal in UK to do it but even if it was'nt i cant see the point in putting your beloved dog through unnessasery pain just to look hard.

Old 12th October 2005, 05:21 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer373
I'm sorry to go against the grain here.

But why do you crop your dogs ears?

It's illegal in UK to do it but even if it was'nt i cant see the point in putting your beloved dog through unnessasery pain just to look hard.
Yikes! Here we go!!
Ears and tails are certainly a contentious issue and regularly discussed.
I would love it if everyone who showed just said "No More" and within a few years we would have a level playing field. Until then there are just a few pioneers who are probably not getting the congratulations they deserve for going out on a limb.

Australia has never really allowed cropped ears, so they look foriegn to me and no one ever makes comments about my boys natural ears. This seems to happen a lot to people on this board, strangers coming up to them and commenting on the cropping or lack thereof. Tail docking has been illegal here since 2002. Within a few years a docked dog will be a rarity, people will assume it's had an accident or something.

Even if either of these things were legal i still wouldn't do them.

Your boy looks very handsome with his tail and ears, I think my boy looks pretty special too.

Old 12th October 2005, 06:05 AM
Boxer Buddy

Thanks for your reply. I just read a post about showing your dog in the U.S and the person was asking if natraul ear where acceptable the the ring!!!!!

This is crazy these people say they love the breed! Well shouldnt they love the breed floppy ears and all? A dog is'nt a car you can't go modifing it just because you want it to look better. I think in the same post it said somewhere that a boxer with a tail should be heavily penilised!!(in the ring). This is nuts. If people where wanting to follow tradion why not chop the ears off completely?? Now i bet that sounds barbaric but thats what they done in the early days and it was for a reason, NOT so it looked tough.

I can understand about docked tails as a boxer could break his tail i honesty dont know how Ralph aint in pain due to wacking it off everything when excited.

Everytime i'm out and we meet someone they always say Oh look a that boxer he's got a tail! They love it. I also think a docked tail is one of the reasons that a boxer can attract hostility from other dogs. Because they have no tail to wag when saying hello i think other dogs see it as a sign of aggresion they're is no visual marker to say 'nice to meet you'. Its also a nice visual marker for people, they can see Ralph's happy to see them and dont feel threatened.

Also ralph is very agile and can turn on a dime. We were down park yesterday with a boxer with a docked tail and ralph was runnign rings round him.

Old 12th October 2005, 06:37 AM
Boxer Insane

These topics have been discussed many times in the past, and a search of the archives will pull up some of the lengthy threads where the points you're making have been made before, and refuted, and restated.

*This* thread is not about whether one should crop or not; it is about healing time after cropping. The deed has already been done - there is absolutely no point in arguing against it now. People who choose to crop do not take the decision lightly - but we are still very glad that in North America, the animal rights activists have not taken away our right to choose. Those who have never had a dog cropped always talk about "pain", yet they have no experience on which to base this assumption. Those of us who have had dogs cropped know first-hand just how minimal the signs of discomfort are - especially when compared to other widely-accepted surgeries such as spay/neuter.

Because it is such a heated issue, please leave the discussions about the pros and cons of cropping out of this thread. The original poster was seeking information, not opinions, and we want her to be able to get that information without being subject to an argument. If the discussion continues, this thread will be closed.

Old 12th October 2005, 07:27 AM
Boxer Booster

We had our guys ears cropped around when he was around 12-13 weeks old. He Was a smaller pup so we had to wait a little longer. Then the breeder told us to just leave the stiches as is and let them heal naturally in the open air. We occasionally put some Neosporin on his ears.

We did not start posting them until all of the scabs were 100% healed and the stiches were removed. Stiches were removed after 2 weeks, and we started posting after 3 weeks.

Then it took 5-8 weeks of posting the ears to get them to stand. Every 6 days or so we would take the tape off the ears for a few days then re-post them if they flopped over. After about 7-8 weeks they stood up.

it was not as bad as a process as i thought it would be.

Old 12th October 2005, 02:25 PM
Boxer Booster

It took about one week after surgery to get Kody's taped. Just keep an eye on them after they are taped, you want them to stay straight up, we had to re tape one, it was leaning a little!!
good luck!

Old 12th October 2005, 07:19 PM
Boxer Insane

Smile

Everyone talks about taping thier ears. I never had to tape Jazzy's The vet. cropped and took the stiches out 8 days later and they have never been taped. I have a picture of her in my gallery. She just woke up so her ears are not standing straight up. But they do when she is alert. They cut them when she was 12 weeks old. A little Neosporin every day was all it took.