Go Back   Boxer Board > PUPPY MATTERS > Rearing puppies

Rearing puppies From Birth to 8 weeks

Closed Thread

Old 27th April 2005, 12:06 PM
Boxer Booster

Question Strange Smell

I may be completely crazy, but Romie has a very strange smell - not sure whether it's her breath or potty or what. I smelled it this morning when I put her in bed with me & it was enough to turn my stomach. The smell is what I would associate with blood - just a very iron-y, metallic smell. She doesn't have any wounds, nor is she old enough to be going into heat, but the smell is AWFUL!?! Anyone have any idea what the deal is? YUCK!
Sponsored Links

Old 27th April 2005, 12:44 PM
Boxer Insane

Talking

it's probably puppy breath? i didn't like it at first, but, you get use to it.. then you miss it...

that's the only thing that I can think of..

Old 27th April 2005, 12:53 PM
Boxer Booster

Does it smell metallic-ish? I thought puppy breath kinda smelled skunky, but this is really gross smelling? Who knows, maybe sleep deprivation is making me nuts!?! HAHAHAHA

Old 27th April 2005, 01:25 PM
Super Boxer

does she have discharge? could be puppy vaginitis - but it shouldn't have an appaling smell.... (don't get me wrong - it's semi gross; but nothing about a puppy can be too gross )
Is it her coat? was she dirty/ muddy? Did she pee on herself? (poor little baby )

I guess you should figure out if the oudour is constant - and if so, ask her vet about it when you're getting puppy shots ...

Old 27th April 2005, 01:51 PM
Boxer Booster

Red face

I haven't seen anything abnormal in that region, but of course, I haven't really been looking. It could possibly be something on her coat - she has had so many accidents in her crate here recently, maybe she just needs a good bath. I know someone who puts cologne on their boxer b/c they can't stand the smell - is that bad?

I will give her a good bath tonight and keep an eye on her. If it does turn out to be her breath, are there bones or something that will freshen it? Maybe a little Winterfresh gum!?! HAHA J/K

Old 27th April 2005, 02:13 PM
Elusive Moderator

If it is her breath, then by all means try giving her some raw meaty bones to chew on to keep her teeth clean. Or alternatively start brushing her teeth. Dogs need regular dental care as much as people do

But it couldn't hurt to consult a vet too. Bad breath can be due to teeth/gum problems, but it can also be the result of internal problems/disease. A metallic odour is something a bit on the unusual side, so I think it is something worth asking a vet about.

Old 27th April 2005, 03:05 PM
Boxer Booster

She just went to the vet on Saturday & they checked her mouth then because she is teething. Do their gums bleed when they teeth? Its just so strange - I have a very sensitive nose, but my first thought was of blood. I checked her over to make sure everything was okay, but I didn't think of her mouth?

Old 4th May 2005, 05:51 PM
Boxer Buddy

Puppy breath

When we had first gotten my black lab, his puppy breath was so bad it could definitely make a person gag. He eventually grew out of it and I can't remember if it was metallic-like, but shoo-ee. . . it really smelled bad!

Old 4th May 2005, 06:00 PM
Boxer Insane

I know the EXACT smell you're talking about. I, too, have a very sensitive nose. I can smell everything! Tess gets this from time to time, usually after she's been playing really rough. It smells metallic and like a very specific kind of blood that only women experience. (Trying to be discrete...) I've never pin-pointed what it actually is, though.

I'd avoid perfumes, as boxers can have sensitive skin. My friend put a doggy perfume on her dog and she lost all her hair! Give her a good bath and see how she smells after that. You wouldn't belive how much yuck and dirt they hide in those coats!

Let us know what it turns out to be. I've never thought of it as a problem, but maybe it is! Thanks for the alert!

Julie

Old 6th May 2005, 11:22 AM
Boxer Booster

Julie:

Yes, that is EXACTLY the smell....it is SO gross. I've been giving her yoguart lately, so maybe that will help. Its pretty nasty & I do only smell it sometimes - usually its when she is in my bed under the covers & I lift the covers to get her out. The smell could knock you over...SO gross! I guess I'll just have to deal!

Thanks though, I'm glad to know I'm not completely crazy!

Old 6th May 2005, 12:06 PM
Boxer Insane

Just to add, Tess also had vaganitis as a puppy, but the discharge wasn't always visible. I think we might have nailed it down. Yogurt is good to suppliment. Tess responded well to it when she had this problem. I also applied it locally, which helped too. It will resolve itself when she is spayed, in any case. Keep the area really clean in the meantime.

Good luck!
Julie

Old 6th May 2005, 07:32 PM
Boxer Buddy

Puppy breath

Monty has kind of bad breath too. Fortunatley her gas doesn't stink yet, but I know its only a matter of time. But if its from a puppy its not all that bad.