Go Back   Boxer Board > PUPPY MATTERS > Rearing puppies

Rearing puppies From Birth to 8 weeks

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2009, 11:40 PM
Boxer Buddy

best size crate

im a little confused about which size crate to get for my new pup i know im gonna get one with a divider but what size should it be when my pup is full grown is 42Lx30Wx28h to big any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links

Old 5th May 2009, 05:36 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapata View Post
im a little confused about which size crate to get for my new pup i know im gonna get one with a divider but what size should it be when my pup is full grown is 42Lx30Wx28h to big any help would be greatly appreciated
I have the 42 inch crate for my two boxers and the size smaller for my pitbull because he's shorter. I think the 42 inch one is the average size most people with boxers get. Also, just a hint, I didn't know better when I first got Kaybie and went and spent over $100 on a new crate for her....then I got smart I bought Atreyu and Bruno's crates off craigslist for WAY less........I think one of them was $30 and one was $40.
~Bruno~rescued stray pitbull~born aprx Feb 2008
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybie's Mom For This Useful Post:
zapata (5th May 2009)

Old 5th May 2009, 09:27 AM
Super Boxer

I have the 42" Midwest crate and love it! I brought it with my first boxer, Barron, and am using it again with my second boxer, Zeus. I did let a store store manager convince me to purchase a Precision crate with two doors but unfortunately Zeus repeatedly broke out of that one and so we went back to the sturdy Midwest with one door, which is really all you need.

Great idea about Craigs List!
The Following User Says Thank You to Barron's mom For This Useful Post:
zapata (5th May 2009)

Old 5th May 2009, 02:00 PM
Boxer Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybie's Mom View Post
I have the 42 inch crate for my two boxers and the size smaller for my pitbull because he's shorter. I think the 42 inch one is the average size most people with boxers get. Also, just a hint, I didn't know better when I first got Kaybie and went and spent over $100 on a new crate for her....then I got smart I bought Atreyu and Bruno's crates off craigslist for WAY less........I think one of them was $30 and one was $40.
you have one 42 inch crate for each right

Old 5th May 2009, 05:07 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I use a 42x28x30 also. It was a good size crate when I fostered a male boxer that was 65 -70 lbs. He had plenty of room, and that seems to be the average male weight. Even though I know some over 100lbs. But it says it is for up to 90 so you should be good to go. My little female, who is 46 lbs, could have a party in it!
The Following User Says Thank You to sargboxerluv For This Useful Post:
zapata (5th May 2009)

Old 5th May 2009, 09:10 PM
Boxer Insane

I had a 36 which worked but I upgraded to a 42 as it gave a ltitle more room. I do use the 36 one for my girl if I need to crate her (VERY rarely) as she's shorter and it's only a short time typically and very rarely. Having it to do over again I'd go with the 42 out of the gate with the divider.

Also you can get them brand new shipping included on e-bay for $65-$70.

If you go with Craig's List just make sure to wash it in bleach water as you never know if the previous owner had a dog with parvo, etc.

Good luck!
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07
The Following User Says Thank You to BxrMommieNAZ For This Useful Post:
zapata (5th May 2009)

Old 6th May 2009, 05:50 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
you have one 42 inch crate for each right
Yes, 3 dogs, 3 crates. My two boxers each have their own 42 inch crate and my pitbull has the size smaller from that.

Old 6th May 2009, 05:52 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxrMommieNAZ View Post
If you go with Craig's List just make sure to wash it in bleach water as you never know if the previous owner had a dog with parvo, etc.
Yes, that's a good suggestion. Every crate I've bought off craigslist, I put it in the driveway and hose it down and then wash it down with bleach and then rinse it off again and it's good to go!

Old 6th May 2009, 10:44 AM
Boxer Buddy

thanks everyone for your help i got the 36 inch crate at first and thought it looked small thats why i asked but i ended up going back yesterday and getting the 42 inch crate which looks pretty big i hope my lil boy grows in to it

Old 6th May 2009, 10:49 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
thanks everyone for your help i got the 36 inch crate at first and thought it looked small thats why i asked but i ended up going back yesterday and getting the 42 inch crate which looks pretty big i hope my lil boy grows in to it
My boy is small for a male Boxer and the 42 inch is just fine for him so I think you'll be just fine.

Old 6th May 2009, 11:23 AM
Boxer Booster

I starated Solomon off using a 36" crate and he quickly grew out of it and it was off to the store to buy the 42" crate. I did get the one w/the divider but I've never had to use it before.
Jakin Boaz: Classic Brindle. 2/26/03 - 4/6/08