Go Back   Boxer Board > PUPPY MATTERS > Rearing puppies

Rearing puppies From Birth to 8 weeks

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2007, 06:31 AM
Boxer Pal

Signs you can trust your dog alone in the house

Hello, I wanted to see what everyone thought might be some good signs that you can start giving your dog a "test" to see if he can behave by himself at home with no crates or gates? I have a small puppy and we gate him in the kitchen and of course I wasnt thinking and left a foot stool by one of the gates and he got on the foot stool and jumped over the gate. When I got home he made a accident on the floor but I didnt see anything tore up or anything. Of course I want to keep him in the kitchen until he is old enough to hold himself, but I am somewhat impressed that he doesnt chew on wood or anything else.

Anyways, let me know how you guys could tell that your boxer was ready to have the run of the house and be trusted to do so! Thank you all for your posts!!
Sponsored Links

Old 12th June 2007, 08:08 AM
Boxer Buddy

Re: Signs you can trust your dog alone in the house

IMO any boxer puppy left free for more than 10 min. will start having puppy fun So he probably just made it out and you made it home in time to catch him b/4 the real fun began My Thatcher is 7 months old and I'm really starting to think the poor guy will be crated while we're gone untill he is 2 or 3 years. He is soo hyper and into everything. Although all pups are different, my Shylo, a mixed breed, was alowed run of the house at about 6 months. But then again she's not a boxer

Old 12th June 2007, 08:27 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyBoyLouie View Post
I am somewhat impressed that he doesnt chew on wood or anything else.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but Biff was a perfect angel when left in the house until he was around 6 months old, and that was when we bought a crate, which he loves, and doesn't mind in the least going in there when we are going out.

The only way to tell if they can be trusted is trial and error I'm afraid. Boxers are natural clowns, and imo most of them love to get into mischief especially when left alone in the house!

"Better safe than sorry"
Good luck!
Bruno~ 2/6/10 ~ red boy ~ undocked ~ rescued

Old 12th June 2007, 12:26 PM
Super Boxer

I think all pups are different and it is trial and error, all ours have had free reign of the house and have never chewed on anything while we've been gone, I think Reilly plays and snoozes while we're gone. He was 10 months old when we adopted him, the first time we went out we did put him in his crate, which came with him, but he was in such distress when we got back, we never put him in there again. We didn't know how he'd behave if we left him loose so we just started by going outside for 10 minutes at a time then going back in to see, and luckily he was fine. Kate.

Reilly, 16 months Brindle wild boy
Morrissey, our angel
02/1995 - 04/2006
loved forever

Old 12th June 2007, 01:06 PM
Boxer Insane

My boxers are 20 and 16 months old and they are crated whether I am popping out to post a letter or gone for 3/4 hours, I think I will always do that as I can imagine the fun they would have if they weren't crated

Old 12th June 2007, 10:00 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

My dog is a year old and I still crate him when I am not home to watch him. He is very naughty and playful so I am not sure what he would do if he were not crated.

Old 6th July 2007, 12:34 PM
Boxer Booster

My KJ is crated when I am not home. I have been giving him short trial periods in the house alone. I started with an hour and moved up he did really good until he was alone for close to four hours. It wasn't bad but he did go on the kitchen floor and pulled some paper off the table but other than that he did good. After that I haven't left him alone outside the crate. Good luck.

Old 2nd August 2007, 06:54 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

We've crated Apollo since day one(he's 2). We have tried leaving him out during the day, but he hates it. It gives him a complex(he has a guilt complex to boot). He thinks that he will do something that he shouldn't and he doesn't like to be scolded. We even thought that leaving him out at night (so he could sleep with us or our girls) would be great, he bed hops all night long! NO sleep for anyone. So we crate him. Our puppy Rocky wouldn't make out either. The crate works great for him because we know that it is helping with potty training. Ultimately, it has to be your decision and what you think is best for your dog(and you). Good luck!

Erin
Apollo & Rocky's mom

Old 3rd August 2007, 09:15 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Everyone is still crated at my house and they are all over a year old. I think having multiples is more difficult and they tend to join in the fun when someone starts it. Also, they get bored easily and if they can't find the right thing to chew on they will find SOMETHING to chew on.

Take it slow and maybe with just one baby you will have some luck and be able to let him free by the age of 1.
Parker 11/14/04 At the bridge

Old 3rd August 2007, 11:55 AM
Boxer Insane

I think it varies, each dog is different. We crate trained both of our babies when they were puppies. Crash (who is almost 3 years old) was and still is an angel. I started to leave him out of his crate when he was about 5 months old for just a few minutes at a time. Then I started moving the alone time up just a little longer. He has never chewed or gotten into anything, never even an accident. They only thing he may eat is the newspaper or toilet paper, but thats our fault for leaving it out for him.

Now Bosco, is a different story (he's 2 years old). He will tear up pillows, remote controllers, phones and rugs. So all of these items will not be left alone with him. Other than that, they are great.

Just take it slow and be patient with him. Good Luck!!!!

None are as fiercely loyal as Dog People!

Old 3rd August 2007, 01:49 PM
Boxer Insane

We always used the crate whenever we went out, whether for 5 minutes, or 3 hours, until Mackensie was about 14 months old. (Of course, she usually goes with us unless it's a trip to the grocery store, or the restaurant). She is usually a very well behaved girl, and I started giving her a little freedom at a time. She never did anything naughty when we left. She's not a chewer, and I thought I could trust her completely. Now, when we leave, she is not crated at all. I have video taped her a couple of times, and she just sleeps for as long as we're gone!
Roman~White Male~Docked and floppy~7 months old Adopted 5/31/11

Old 3rd August 2007, 07:55 PM
Boxer Booster

I agree with Ariki. Cassius is a monster and so playful when I have a watchful eye, nevermind if I wasn't watching him!!
~Coal - black medium hair cat