Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > RAW Feeding

RAW Feeding For specific questions regarding feeding a raw diet, sources, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th March 2001, 04:01 PM
Boxer Buddy

I heared it not goods for dogs!!!any comments?
Sponsored Links

Old 15th March 2001, 10:13 PM
Reasonable Moderator

I have never heard that peanut butter is bad for dogs. Where did you hear it from? Peanut butter is often given to dogs as a treat. You can ever buy dog biscuits made with peanut butter.

Old 16th March 2001, 11:52 AM
Boxer Insane

Peanut butter is probably considered bad for dogs for the same reasons it is considered bad for humans....processed food, high in sugar, high in fat....there is also the risk of aflatoxins, which I think is minimal.

Of course, too much of anything is never good!

Old 17th March 2001, 08:31 PM
Boxer Pal

Thumbs up Peanut Butter Bad??

I give my dog the all natural peanut butter with low salt and sugar. He loves getting that in his Kong toy! I would think it's got the oils and protein that is good for them.

Mom of Deuce, 10/17/00, Flashy Fawn with natural ears.....our little love!

Sampson, Fawn with black mask and cropped ears, waiting at the bridge since 8/00.
Our best friend in the whole world - we miss him very much!

Old 27th March 2001, 02:54 PM
Boxer Booster

Well, I heard that it's peanuts which are bad for dogs. They don't digest too well and can get caught in the urinal tracts, causing considerable pain. In fact, it happens to humans if too many are eaten as it happened to my dad when he was a truck driver many moons ago. He ate a very large bag of peanuts and later in the even he was doubled up in pain, I think he had to go to hospital.
plus one hamster with no name & a goldfish

Old 4th April 2001, 10:18 AM
Boxer Insane

I was told that if you feed peanut butter you need to check the ingredients list and make sure there is a certain type of oil I beleive not listed. This is what is harmful, I don't know why but will ask on the other list I'm on for the name again. I was feeding peanut butter as a snack for mine until I read this. I checked the label of the peanut butter I fed and this ingredient was listed. I haven't fed peanut butter since.

Old 6th April 2001, 08:10 AM
Boxer Insane

Ok, here are the ingredients that are supposed to be harmful

“hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils”

Here is the web site that was provided to explain this. I haven't looked at it yet buy hopefully it will be informational.

http://www.cyberparent.com/nutrition/hydrogenated.htm

The peanut butter I was feeding had one of these oils in it (I don't remember which) so I threw it away. According to my e-mail these oils can be found in other foods which should be avoided as well.

Old 9th April 2001, 04:49 AM
Boxer Pal

Alisha, I cannot speak to dogs in particular, but I do know a little about oils. I own a soap making company and deal with oils all the time. Hydrogenation is a process that adds a Hydrogen to the oil molecule in order to make it more solid. This is what is used to process liquid oils like soybean and peanut oil into a harder shortening. As I said, I can not speak to whether this is harmful to dogs, but I thought you might like to know what the process is.

karon

Old 9th April 2001, 10:10 AM
Boxer Insane

Karon,
Thanks, I looked at the web site I posted and it wasn't what I had expected at all. I was under the impression that these oils were harmful to dogs inparticular. Was suprised to see the site was human related not dog related. I can't believe how much I have learned about the food I eat and feed my family while trying to learn more about what I feed my dogs.