Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > RAW Feeding

RAW Feeding For specific questions regarding feeding a raw diet, sources, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st November 2010, 10:37 PM
Boxer Pal

Venison = diarrhea

So after about two weeks of chicken for dinner and the new intro of venison we came across some problems.

We have two 18 week pups and they absolutely love chicken. After an ad on craigslist we received about 20 pounds of deer scraps which we ground up. Looking at it I'm guessing about 10-15 percent of it is fat. One of the two has diarrhea which is pretty constant for the following 12-24 hours after.

is there something that were missing? We gave them about 3/4 lb of the ground meat today with a pork rib hoping the bone would help but it didn't.

Is the venison just a no go for them?

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd November 2010, 05:57 AM
Reasonable Moderator

I wouldn't give up on venison quite yet. I would give them chicken for a few days, until things return to normal and then maybe try a half venison, half chicken meal and see how it goes.

Old 2nd November 2010, 12:12 PM
Boxer Buddy

These things come to mind...

-I agree with Jan, maybe it would be a good idea to introduce the venison a little more slowly. I would probably spread it out over a few days...3/4 chicken, 1/4 venison - 1/2 chicken, 1/2 venison - 1/4 chicken, 3/4 venison - all venison meals thereafter (alternated with other meat meals).

- It sounds like you may be feeding a bit too much food at one feeding; which will cause diarrhea. You mention 3/4 lb venison plus a pork rib (which could be as much as a 1/2 lb) - this could be about 1 1/4 lb in one feeding (I couldn't tell from your post if they got this amount each in one feeding or for the day). My experience with my female pup is that anything over about 13 or 14 oz in one feeding will cause the runs - even if it's something that she's been eating well for months.

-Why grind the venison? Your pups can probably handle scraps without you having to grind it. It's my understanding that letting them work through the meat will help clean their teeth.

Old 2nd November 2010, 01:09 PM
Boxer Pal

I'll try the slow integration of the venison.

As for the grinding of the meat we received a box with scraps. Anything from very small pieces to larger pieces. I just thought it would be easier to grind it all and put in 1 lb bags. Was that not a good idea? I think our next move will be to wait a couple days and give about a quarter pound of the venison and a chicken drumstick.

Old 2nd November 2010, 01:39 PM
Boxer Buddy

Humn, I guess good and bad are relative.... I don't make extra work for myself if I don't have to. I would definitely put it in 1 lb bags but no way I'd grind it - small pieces are fine as is, large pieces are an opportunity to make your pups work a little and maybe even wear them out for a while. A worn out puppy = a well behaved puppy in our house. Only my personal opinion, of course...

Old 3rd November 2010, 10:09 AM
Boxer Pal

Yeah were still workin on this whole "fine tuning" of the raw diet. So far they love the chicken and like eating the venison even if it doesn't sit well with them sometimes.