Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > RAW Feeding

RAW Feeding For specific questions regarding feeding a raw diet, sources, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st November 2009, 11:30 AM
Boxer Pal

Leeks....Toxic for dogs?

I was wondering if anybody could help me on whether or not leeks are toxic for dogs. I know that onions are bad for dogs and leeks are part of the onion family, but I have never seen or read anything that specifically says leeks are toxic for dogs. Can anybody help out?
Sponsored Links

Old 21st November 2009, 05:30 PM
Elusive Moderator

I have not seen anything that specifically says so either. On the other hand, I'm not sure why I'd want to feed my dogs leeks anyway So in my case at least, it becomes a moot point.

Having said that, whilst leeks are a member of the onion family, I believe they're a weak member (much as garlic is). In small quantities, I would not expect them to do a great deal of harm. As such, I wouldn't panic unduly if my dog happened to eat some, but at the same time, wouldn't deliberately feed them either (unlike garlic, I'm not aware of any particular properties of leeks that are desirable either - so don't see any point in giving them).

Old 21st November 2009, 05:35 PM
Elusive Moderator

Retracting the above - it seems they may well be on the toxic list. The ASPCA lists one form of leek : ASPCA | Leek
Technically, that is not the vegetable variety that I think you mean, but the edible leek IS a variant subspecies of this plant. Therefore, better to avoid, I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to gmacleod For This Useful Post:
Sandy Paws (23rd November 2009)