Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > Rainbow Bridge

Rainbow Bridge Share your memories of loved companions now gone.

Closed Thread

Old 21st April 2008, 12:34 PM
Boxer Booster

Unhappy Darien is gone...

Hi all. I haven't been on in a while. What with a job change and a new baby it has been difficult to keep up with my online friends...

We lost Darien some time back. A little over 4 months ago.

It was nobody's fault but our own. He had been showing more of a tendency to go after cars since our boxer girl, Darla, got out of the yard and caught a glancing blow from a neighbor's car. Well, Darien took it as a challenge I guess and he finally got out of the yard. We live on over 4 1/2 acres in the country in a family neighborhood that is on a dead end road. The size of our yard prohibits us from fencing the whole thing and after all......we are surrounded by my aunts, uncles, cousins, and siblings. We are miles from the nearest highway. We thought that since no one ever goes more than 10 MPH we wouldn't have to worry about our fur babies so much when it came to traffic. But delivery trucks are something that operate outside the family rules. I put the whole horrible day down as a Blog if anyone cares to read it. You can beat up on me if you like. I deserve it. It is part of my penance for being irresponsible.

For anyone who thinks they are safe in their area from losing their pet to a car or truck please think again. If it can happen where I live it can happen to you.

is a video I made of Darien with our oldest son when he was just a baby. It still makes me smile and it even takes away a little of the pain. I will miss you soooo much Darien. I am sorry I failed you. Please forgive me.

Adam

Darien Bigge 4/14/2001---12/11/2007

Last edited by Darien'sDad; 21st April 2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: fixed link
Sponsored Links

Old 21st April 2008, 12:42 PM
Boxer Booster

I didn't mean to put the whole video in the post. Just a link to it. Now I can't edit it out because the time limit has expired. Would an administrator be kind enough to fix it? I only intended to put in a link.

Old 21st April 2008, 01:09 PM
Boxer Insane

Adam, I am crying as I read your post about Darien, and watched the video. I am so sad for your tragic loss of such a wonderful boy. The video speaks volumes of how special he was and how much he loved your baby boy - thank you for sharing it, it is beautiful. I hope in time you will have only sweet memories when you think of Darien, remembering the love he had for your family, and the good life he had with you. I send you my deepest sympathy.

Old 21st April 2008, 01:35 PM
Boxer Insane

So sorry for the tragic loss of your sweet boy. Your video was one of the most precious things I have seen. Run free sweet Darien
Wallie, Josie & Bandit waiting at the Bridge

Old 21st April 2008, 01:43 PM
Boxer Insane

I am so very sorry about your loss (Your blog page said it has expired). Please know my thoughts are with you. What a wonderful video to remember your baby!!!

Godspeed sweet Darien

Old 21st April 2008, 01:51 PM
Boxer Booster

Here is what happened....

Sorry. The link isn't working so here is what happened that day...................

Quote:
Well, anyone who knows Kate and I or looks at my bulletins knows our dog, Darien. Kate and I had purchased him 6 years ago when we first started dating and had raised him from a pup. He was (as corny as it sounds) our first kid. I know that he was only an animal but to us he was also a member of the family. He was a loyal friend that never asked for anything from us other than a warm lap to lay on (even though he weighed over 60 lbs.) and a place at the foot of our bed. He welcomed both of our sons into our household with puppy kisses and a playful waggle of his tail when all our relatives told us, "You better get rid of that dog before the baby gets here. He'll hurt your child. You'll see..." He was the best friend any of us could have asked for. He was also instantly terrifying if he ever thought that someone/something was threatening us. He took it upon himself to be our protector (and our children's protector as well) and we never once had an incident where his protective nature caused problems. He was gentle and playful with the boys and it was a joy to watch him romp and play with them. He was the perfect dog and we love him very much.

The joy that he brought went out of our lives on Tuesday, Dec. 11th when he was killed by a delivery truck. It was my wife's birthday.

Darien's buddy, Darla (our other boxer) had been hit by a truck a month or so ago and had suffered an injury to her hip. She lived and is recovering (thank God) but Darien took it as a personal affront of sorts that one of these trucks had hurt his friend. So even though he had never been much of a chaser before, he started to chase the trucks. It was no ones fault but our own for not keeping him in the yard.

I Still hear the pounding on the door as the frantic driver tried to get someone to come outside to help. I ran downstairs and was out the door about 30 seconds behind Kate. When I rounded the corner of the house I started to cry. He was laying in the road in his own blood with my weeping wife and the frantic driver standing over him. I knew he was as good as gone. It had crushed his skull. I ran up and knelt down to try to do something, I don't know what. When I felt along his chest I could still feel his proud heart beating. It didn't know that it was fighting a battle it could not win. I just put my head down and buried my face in the fur at his neck and cried until I felt it stop beating. Without even looking at him, I told the driver that it wasn't his fault and that he should go. Then, not caring that I was getting blood on my clothes. Picked my beautiful boy up and carried him to the door of my house. There I sat on the steps with him on my lap and my wife and I cried together.

We had a doctor's appointment to go to since she was pregnant and due to deliver any day now. So I told her to go on in and take care of our two sons when they woke up. I wasn't about to just leave him lying out until we got back.

I went out, found the only shovel I could (a short handled flat shovel) and I carried Darien down by the lake. The shovel was too short to be any good so I had to dig the grave while on my knees. I just kind of went blank for a while. I didn't care that my back hurt, that I was wearing dress clothes, or any of that. I just wanted to put my friend to rest. After about 30 min of scraping and digging I had a deep enough grave. Then I picked him up and told him how sorry I was for failing him. If I had been more responsible he would not have been in the position to chase vehicles in the first place. I then hugged him one last time and laid his still warm body into the ground.

After I covered him up I went up to the house to find my boys were awake from their naps and in fine spirits. I first went and changed my clothes. Then I helped Kate get the kids dressed and we went into town. It was at that time that we found out that Kate's Grandfather had had a stroke and had been lying in his house for 3-5 days before anyone found him. He is alive but is still in serious condition. I hope he recovers.

I went to work the next day feeling empty. Knowing I would never see my puppy again. I felt like a weakling for letting the death of an animal get to me. But now I realize he was much more than that. He was family. And he was gone.

Then today I get a call from Kate at 5:15 AM. It is time. I get up, get showered and as soon as I can I leave work and head home. Kate is there with her mother, Paula. We head on into the hospital while Paula takes care of getting the kids to the babysitter. At 9:54 A.M. today Levi Henry Bigge was born.

The emptiness I had felt since the day before just faded away. The pain was still there. As was the regret and the feeling that I let Darien down. I wished that our new boy could have had the chance to grow up with that wonderful pup. I would never compare the life of one of my children to the life of a pet, by the way. It was just that I still had the lingering pain over the loss of a friend.

But the joy of seeing my new son come into the world turned that pain into a realization. As bad as things get there is always something to be thankful for. Sometimes you may not think anything can cheer you up. You just want to sit down and wallow around in misery. Then God says, "Oh, Yeah? Well, how 'bout this?" and you find yourself smiling through the tears. Not all of these little miracles are as "slap you in the face" obvious as the birth of your child. Some of them take a little work to find. But with the help of my pup, Darien, (and my ever growing family) I am going to look for them a little harder now. I think that is probably the greatest gift that he ever gave to me. It doesn't take away the sense of loss, but it does make me feel like he, in some small way, will always be at my side. Offering his own special kind of puppy comfort. And that is a miracle all it's own.

Click the link below to share in a little of the joy he brought us.....
Darien and Xavier

Darien Bigge (Loyal Friend and Companion) 4/14/2001---12/11/2007

Levi Henry Bigge (My New Boy!!!) Happy Birthday!! 12/13/2007

Old 21st April 2008, 02:02 PM
Boxer Insane

I am sobbing as I write this to you. I know your heart is breaking, but do not hold yourself responsible for this, it was just a terrible accident. Boxers are very strong willed and maybe nothing you would have done could have stopped this. It is just fate. Enjoy your baby boy and know that he has a Boxer angel watching over him. God bless you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Minx & Blaze ~ you will always be loved & missed

Old 21st April 2008, 02:31 PM
Super Boxer

Tears are falling from my face as I read this, also. Accidents happen, and sometimes, no matter what we do, things cannot be avoided. Your words are evident that your boy was loved. He's now running at the bridge; waiting for you and the rest of his family. Try not to beat yourself up. I am so sorry for your loss. Congratulations on the birth of the new baby boy, btw.

Run free, Darien - RIP.

Old 21st April 2008, 03:19 PM
Boxer Insane

I can't help but cry when I read about Darien. I think of my two boys and how they have grown up with our boxers. Buster is only 10 mo. old but my youngest son, Kade, loves him more than anything and they are best friends. My oldest son, Kris, is 16 and was 9 when we got our girl Roxy. My boys love those boxers more than anyone can imagine, as do my husband and I. I can't imagine the pain of watching your beloved pet lose his life, but I am so glad you were able to be there with him when he passed. I'm sure he was comforted knowing the ones that loved him most were there with him. May he run fast and free at the bridge.
Roxy, 9 yr old brindle female, waiting at the bridge 4/10/00-4/10/09

Old 21st April 2008, 07:33 PM
Boxer Insane

All I can say is I'm sending you my prayers.

Old 21st April 2008, 07:56 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I'm so, so sorry. You will be in my prayers.

Old 21st April 2008, 08:11 PM
Boxer Insane

So sorry for your loss of Darien,dont beat yourself up too much as accidents do happen and remember when one door is shut another door is opened,you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers during this most difficult time

MoM & DaD of GDOGS 8/18/05 Brindle,Docked,Floppy and full of Zest