Go Back   Boxer Board > PUPPY MATTERS > Puppy Socializing

Puppy Socializing How to socialize the young Boxer?

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2011, 05:18 PM
Boxer Booster

Going for walks...

Tucker has had his first shots and booster...is it safe for me to take him out for a walk? I asked our vet and he said tho Tucker does have some immunity, he's not fully covered at this point. I would like to take him out as our yard isn't fenced so I'm out there with him anyway....he has so much energy to burn at 10 weeks old!!!

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated....I need to find a way to burn some of his puppy energy!!

Old 1st May 2011, 05:34 PM
Boxer Insane

Your vet is right. He is still very susceptible to picking up the diseases he's been vaccinated for.

However from a socialization standpoint... you still need to get him out. Do you know if there are a lot of parvo cases in your area? That's the biggest concern, some areas have a higher incidence of parvo, more loose dogs, what have you and in that case I'd be more cautious. In general though the risk of him picking up a disease is small, but the risk of him being cooped up and undersocialized is far greater. I definitely would not take him to dog parks or pet stores but a stroll around your neighborhood is probably fine.

Old 1st May 2011, 05:42 PM
Boxer Booster

I'm not sure about parvo in my area, our vet is across the city but he's a great vet (repaired our bichon shih tzu's many pelvic fractures after being hit by a car) I suppose I could call the local vets tomorrow and see. I was hoping to just take him to my kids ball game tomorrow night so he's not stuck inside, I have taken him to the pet store but held him the whole time.
He does meet new people as I run a dayhome and there are tons of kids in our neighborhood that are always in the backyard with my kids.

Old 2nd May 2011, 10:45 AM
Boxer Booster

If you HAVE to take your pup out, i would search the area before hand for others dog poop. From my understanding the poop is what carrys parvo, but even with the area being poop free i suggest you only do it if you have to.
If you have kids playing out back with him and he meets new people there shouldnt be any reason to have to take him out for walks yet. Yes it would help with leash training and socailizing but trust me death from parvo is harrible to witness.
One minute your pup is playing and jumping around, then later on you notice they are just lying there barely able to wag their tail. After that comes the vomiting, blooding poop, and vet bill. My girlfriend lost here first pom to pravo, i felt so bad for her.

Also on a side note- my local petsmart and petco dont properly clean their shopping carts so dont use those either, if you are taking your dog to pet store.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilbert For This Useful Post:
SillyTucker (2nd May 2011)

Old 2nd May 2011, 02:32 PM
Boxer Booster

I don't really HAVE to take him out, just wanted to as he has so much energy and I know a walk would do him good. I'll just wait it out till he gets his next booster.

Thanks!

Old 2nd May 2011, 07:42 PM
Boxer Booster

I m glad that you have choosen to wait. Im in the same position as you are, Achilles is going to be 11 weeks old on Wednesday an he is just so full of energy. I have found a great way to wear him out. I get an empty 2 litter bottle, throw some pebbles inside, put the top back on tight, and then let him have a blast. He runs around fighting with the bottle for about an hour then we come inside an he passes out.

Old 2nd May 2011, 11:22 PM
Boxer Insane

I'd skip the pet store even if you are carrying him, there are many airborne diseases. I'd skip taking him to sporting events (ie many dogs tend to hang out there).

Do you have any friends with older dogs that you know are healthy that could come over (or you over there) to help socialize him with other dogs? Also your children's friends coming over is great, but make sure you have other adults to meet and greet your pup too. You can start with basic training commands, playing with him in the yard and such so he can burn off some of his energy that way, or put him on leash and walk him to the end of your street and then walk back. For a 10 week old pup that's a trek for sure.

I wouldn't coop him up, but I'd avoid dog frequent places (parks, dog parks, pet stores, etc) until he's a bit older, but do try to set up doggy play dates with people you know, and have as many people meet him as you can.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 3rd May 2011, 07:35 AM
Reasonable Moderator

I agree with BxrMommieNaz.

You need to get your pup out there and exposed to all different sights and sounds. Socialization is so important at that age. You can always pick him up and carry him. In most areas, the risk of an undersocialized dog is dog is greater that the risk of disease. If I recall correctly, Dr Ian Dunbar suggests that your pup should meet 100 people a week. You can download his book "Before you get your Puppy" for free from various places. His book after you get your puppy is great too.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan For This Useful Post:
SillyTucker (3rd May 2011)

Old 3rd May 2011, 08:16 AM
Boxer Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
If I recall correctly, Dr Ian Dunbar suggests that your pup should meet 100 people a week.
Wow....a 100 people a week?!! How is that even possible when they can't go anywhere? I have brought him into a pet store, I carried him of course. Aside from that....what do you suggest to get him out there while limiting his risk?

Old 3rd May 2011, 08:47 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyTucker View Post
Wow....a 100 people a week?!! How is that even possible when they can't go anywhere? I have brought him into a pet store, I carried him of course. Aside from that....what do you suggest to get him out there while limiting his risk?
Again, have playdates with people whose dogs you know, take a walk to the end of your street, have your kids friends come over, have your pup meet the UPS guy or Fed Ex guy, etc. Even carrying skip the pet store too much risk. But having people come over to your home or taking your pup to homes of other people is a good idea, walking to the end of your street or around the block depending on how large your street/block is is another good idea. You could sit in front of the mall (not a place where dogs typically frequent) or busier grocery store.

Skip dog parks, regular parks, and pet stores even if you're carrying him as many diseases are airborne and therefore carrying him doesn't make any difference.

Old 3rd May 2011, 09:16 AM
Boxer Booster

As being in the same position you are but witinessing a dog die from pravo, im personally not taking the risk.
So once Achilles is 2 days passed his last shot im planning on taking him to hang out outside the mall (acting like im waiting for someone that way i dont seem like a weirdo), families houses, my work, and outside gorcery stores.
Then after a week with the final shot i will starting hit the pets store, and parks with him. And finally after 2 weeks with the final shot and a dose of boratilla (spelling?) im going to take him to the Humane Society and do some meet and greets with other puppies and adult dogs.

But for now he plays in my yard, meets the people and there pets that come over, meets the kids that pet him through the fence, and he takes ride with me to the bank drive thur.

Old 3rd May 2011, 09:27 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
As being in the same position you are but witinessing a dog die from pravo, im personally not taking the risk.
So once Achilles is 2 days passed his last shot im planning on taking him to hang out outside the mall (acting like im waiting for someone that way i dont seem like a weirdo), families houses, my work, and outside gorcery stores.
Then after a week with the final shot i will starting hit the pets store, and parks with him. And finally after 2 weeks with the final shot and a dose of boratilla (spelling?) im going to take him to the Humane Society and do some meet and greets with other puppies and adult dogs.

But for now he plays in my yard, meets the people and there pets that come over, meets the kids that pet him through the fence, and he takes ride with me to the bank drive thur.
Unfortunately by that time the developmental time will have passed :-( (they need the socializing before 16 weeks). Things happen, we cannot live our lives in fear of them forever. And I'd encourgae you to skip the Bordatella, it's the equivilent of vaccinating for the human cold, it's a doggy cold, they don't die from it, and it only protects against one strain out of thousands.