Go Back   Boxer Board > PUPPY MATTERS > Puppy Feeding

Puppy Feeding Post here tips on feeding the young Boxer.

Closed Thread

Old 19th June 2004, 03:30 PM
Boxer Pal

Human Food....Is it good for our Boxers??

I was just wondering if its a good thing our bad thing to give my boxer human food.....people have told me that they dont get anything from human food other than a filled belly and more mess out the back end

I would like to know your ideas on this

I think my boxer looks a little underweight....and she always seems hungry
Im feeding her on four cups of Iams (puppy) a day but she dont seem to gain much weight
Sponsored Links

Old 19th June 2004, 03:44 PM
Boxer Insane

We don't give Luke any human food whatsoever. He only eats dog food. We feed Innova right now. He's doing great on it so far

Old 19th June 2004, 05:32 PM
Your Friendly Moderator

There are hundreds of thousands of people who feed their dogs human food. A BARF diet is human food. It is, arguably, the best way to feed your dog possible.

Please see the BARF section for more information.

Old 23rd June 2004, 11:17 AM
Boxer Pal

after reading your post I done some research on BARF.....I was impressed....so much that I went out and got my dog some raw meat from the butchers. She woofed down about 2lb of raw meat in seconds.

But now I have cause for concern mainly beacause I stumbled upon this website http://secondchanceranch.org/rawmeat.html and now I am not so sure.

Old 23rd June 2004, 11:47 AM
Boxer Booster

I've fed one of my boxers raw meat every day (twice a day) since he was 3 months old (he is now over 2 years old) and never had a problem. I've fed our oldest boxer raw meat now for well over a year also without any problems. They eat raw beef, turkey, chicken, lamb and have also had raw pork and raw eggs. I've also had people that don't understand how a raw diet works tell me that I'm going to give my dogs worms or I was going to make them really sick or else kill them. I've also had people tell me that their coats are just beautiful and they look so very, very healthy and then ask what they eat. Some people that know what I feed my dogs also say that there is something to this diet because of the way our two look. Paula

Old 23rd June 2004, 03:49 PM
Your Friendly Moderator

Post a question in the BARF section. Many of our members have been feeding BARF diets for many generations. I'm sure their testimonies will be of benefit to you in your research and decision.

Old 23rd June 2004, 09:28 PM
Super Boxer

I was feeding BARF until recently when due to a couple of different factors I switched back to kibble, but I plan to go back.

Don't worry about the second chance ranch thing. There are some fanatics who refuse to believe that dogs didn't always eat dog food - that lady is just using scare tactics. In the same way, you will probably run across some BARF fanatics (who will probably try and make you feel bad) because you don't give your dog an antelope to eat "because it's what nature intended."

You should do whatever you like, once you've researched all the options. It's really not a black and white issue and lots of people do some raw and some kibble or mostly kibble and some raw or mostly raw and some kibble, etc.

Like Tulsa Dan said, look at the posts in the BARF section and if you are more interested there are some BARF newsgroups on yahoo that are very helpful. There are also several good intro books out there.

Good luck!

Mariah.

PS I also wanted to add that boxer puppies can look skinny and fill out later. As long as she's healthy I wouldn't worry.

PPS You also might consider an alternative food. There are several kibble choices that are considered superior to Iams. You can look in the feeding section to find more info.

Old 24th June 2004, 11:38 AM
Boxer Insane

Here is Dr. Billinghurst's reply to Katie (My Blue Dog):
http://www.bestfrisbeedogs.com/mybluedog2.html

Certainly there are risks with a raw diet, but Katie's site is based on very little fact.

Old 24th June 2004, 12:59 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieM
Here is Dr. Billinghurst's reply to Katie (My Blue Dog):
http://www.bestfrisbeedogs.com/mybluedog2.html

Certainly there are risks with a raw diet, but Katie's site is based on very little fact.

Ok, i read the first link posted here and then read that link by Dr. Billinghurst. I have no opinion about the subject matter but as a scientist, i would have to agree with Billinghurst. She did make unsupportable claims and weak round about logic. Also, i am a mathematician/physicist and i KNOW for a fact that you can make any set of statistics say just about anything you want them to say. So beware when looking at statistics, any statistics! Just my little bit of input.

Carolyn