Go Back   Boxer Board > PUPPY MATTERS > Puppy Feeding

Puppy Feeding Post here tips on feeding the young Boxer.

Closed Thread

Old 10th June 2003, 08:55 AM
Boxer Booster

Question question about bowel movements

i hope this is the right place for this question. My question is aobut my 8 week old's bowel movements. I've noticed that sometimes his stool is normal and sometimes he'll have diarea. Is this normail for a young puppy? I havent done anything drastic to change his diet or anything, he eats science diet and has since he old enough to eat dog food. Other than that i just give him little treats for going potty outside and stuff. Also I wanted to know, if i find that he has diarea for a whole day is there anything i can feed or give him that is good for calming his stomach down? Any help would be great Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 10th June 2003, 09:10 AM
Boxer Pal

my pup did that while he was on science diet too. I switched him to canidae and it resolved. Make sure he gets lots of water because diarrhea can be very dehyrating

Old 10th June 2003, 12:26 PM
Boxer Booster

Boiled rice is great for the poos! It helps to "stop" them up. Science diet is not that great of a food, it has tons of fillers and little nutrients. We feed Niko Canidae and he loves it, it cut down on his gas too, thank goodness! If you do a search on food you'll find tons of info! Good Luck, try the rice thing, I am sure that will help your baby!

Old 10th June 2003, 01:01 PM
Boxer Insane

Lots of things can cause diarrhea. In such a young pup, I'd make sure he's been wormed and has been given a clean bill of health from your vet.

Stress can cause diarrhea, or even too much food overall will cause loose stools. If your pup has recurring diarrhea with one particular food, it may also be a food allergy to one of the ingredients in his kibble. You can give him boiled chicken and cooked white rice (equal parts) for a few days to settle his system, and then see about slowly starting him on a different kibble.

I would have to agree with everyone else that Science Diet qualifies as a low quality kibble and would do some research on a better food. You may want to use the search feature here (little blue button in upper right) and use keywords like "Science Diet", "premium kibble" and "Whole Dog Journal". Science Diet may be "vet recommended", but the ingredient list on the back of the bag is less than stellar and that's what counts.

Best of luck with your little guy and keep us posted on how he's doing!
Christopher, Benji and Jonny

Old 10th June 2003, 01:33 PM
Boxer Booster

thanks so much for the advice, i didnt know that about science diet, i thought it was supposed to be good stuff. What brand would you all recommend? Ill cook up some rice tonight to settle down his system. thanks again

Old 10th June 2003, 01:48 PM
Boxer Insane

Browse through these threads for some ideas on what constitutes a good kibble...

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/sho...t=science+diet

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/sho...le+dog+journal

Which is best out of these five. Really need help.

Old 10th June 2003, 01:59 PM
Boxer Booster

Thumbs up

ite thanks alot

Old 10th June 2003, 02:20 PM
Boxer Booster

sorry one more question, what is the best way to switch foods? What do you think about Nutro?

Old 6th July 2003, 09:01 AM
Boxer Pal

my puppy, about 13 weeks, just started w/the diarrhea also this past week.
i'm hoping it's the heat.
we took him to the vet. she palpated his stomach and didn't feel anything.
she also tested his stool.
we're also trying the rice. he ate some last nite, but this morning, he's soo tired, so we're thinking that's why he's not eating.

the dr. gave him some doggy pepto (it's yellow).
but a relative told us to give our pepto even before we went to the vet. it's helped.

i'm also thinking of switching kibble. he's on iams and really doesnt like it. so we're going to switch.

good luck.

Old 7th July 2003, 10:46 AM
Boxer Booster

Talking update

well just a little update, Tank is doing great now i got him off that SD crap and now he eats Nutro and it doing great, his stools aren't loose anymore and there is less clean up in the yard. Plus he had worms before so im sure that contributed, but after i de-wormed him he's eating like a horse he's 12 weeks and wieghs 24 pounds! growing like crazy