Go Back   Boxer Board > PUPPY MATTERS > Puppy Feeding

Puppy Feeding Post here tips on feeding the young Boxer.

Closed Thread

Old 5th September 2011, 05:47 PM
Boxer Pal

Question what is a good dog food.

We have 12 week old female boxer pup. what is a good dog food for her to be on? Right now we have her on purnia puppy chow. Thanks for you help.

Moderator note: thread moved from the News forum to the Puppy feeding forum.
Sponsored Links

Old 7th September 2011, 11:06 PM
Boxer Insane

If you check out Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble you want to choose a 4, 5, or 6 star food that is available in your area and that you can afford. Puppy food is not necessary, but I would encouarge you to switch from Purina as it is a very poor quality food.

Many of us here feed Taste of the Wild, which in my area runs around $40 for a 30 pound bag. That bag lasts me 3 1/2 weeks feeding a 67 pound Boxer and a 70 pound German Shepherd, both very active. I also feed Earthborn Primative Natural, which is about the same cost and bounce between the two of those. Both are all life stages food and good for puppies through seniors.

Hope that helps some and good luck!
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 8th September 2011, 03:21 PM
Boxer Booster

The dog food analysis that BxrMommieNAZ shared is fantastic for helping you pick out a good food. I relied on our breeder to help me with Kona (sire's owner is a friend and she shows/breeds...very knowledgable in all things boxer).

First of all, we stayed away from the typical "grocery store" brands. And Kona isn't as active as many boxers, so the high protein foods are just too much for her. She doesn't burn it off and it messes her tummy up. We stay with about 20%- 28% protein. I've been told to also avoid chicken, which can be a common boxer allergen but Kona is fine with it. Our vet recommended transitioning off puppy food at least by 6 months. So I looked for a line that had both puppy and adult formulas (most do).

Some of the brands I personally like include:
Orijen (a friend breeds bullies and this gives them AWFUL gas, though)
Acana
Blue Buffalo(our other dog won't eat it...snob!)
Innova
Natural Balance (got the 'tube' version to cut into treats for training)

Another friend who breeds/shows Boxers swears by Purina Pro-Plan. It's better than your run of the mill purina, but isn't quite as high on the list as some I put above.

For the true confession, we feed Nutro Ultra Holistic. It's a little higher in grains than some of the top foods, but through trial and error (and a lot of runny poo) it's what works for Kona. It's descent quality and affordable for us.
Jack- Orange tabby kitty cat boy 10/1996

Old 12th September 2011, 04:51 PM
Boxer Buddy

I am going to try...

We are getting our 9 week old girl this Saturday...based on all the research I have done I am going to try her on Acana Ranchlands. We'll see how it goes. Lots of people here do TOTW but there was something about Champion Pet Foods that makes Acana that I really liked...hope she does as well! Good luck.

Old 12th September 2011, 07:12 PM
Boxer Booster

Natural Balance has been what we've decided to go with. Chaucer had horrible diarrhea on Blue Wilderness. He did fine on TOTW, but I've been hearing of dogs having problems after a while on this. Digestive issues. The store I go to won't even carry it for this reason based on feedback from customers and research he's done. I also decided to give a lower protein because I've been told and read that higher protein can harm the kidneys over time. I know high protein diets are highly favored here though.
Oh and we feed Primal raw for breakfast.

Gl. The choices can be overwhelming. You have to kind oD play and see what makes the most sense for the pup.
Isis - 9/11/03~7/24/11 - White Boxer lost to Cancer
The Following User Says Thank You to SabrinaMN For This Useful Post:
Caney Creek (13th September 2011)

Old 13th September 2011, 06:38 PM
Boxer Booster

We was feeding Brody ToTW but got him off this and put him on Nature's Variety Lamb LID and he is doing wonderful on this food and absolutely loves the taste of it. You can find it online for 52.99 and it last about 5 weeks.

Old 13th September 2011, 10:25 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaMN View Post
I also decided to give a lower protein because I've been told and read that higher protein can harm the kidneys over time. I know high protein diets are highly favored here though.
Actually, there is no empirical data to support the theory that high protein diets can harm the kidneys over time. What does exist is data that supports that low protein diets are beneficial to dogs who already have compromised kidneys. The two things are very different. Anecdotal information about dogs who exhibited kidney damage while being fed a high protein diet can't be taken as proof because there is no knowing what the kidneys of these dogs were like before they were fed the food.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TwoDogs For This Useful Post:
Caney Creek (13th September 2011), elgerdes (16th September 2011), johann (14th September 2011), SabrinaMN (14th September 2011)

Old 15th September 2011, 12:07 PM
Boxer Booster

The link that BxrMommieNAZ posted is an excellent resource for helping pick out food. There are so many choices!

When I got my boxer, he was on purina puppy chow which we quickly worked to transition him off of. It gave him very runny poop and I wanted something a bit better quality for him. My older dog tried Origen for awhile but it gave her the runs and she had been on Horizon Legacy for awhile but it is getting harder and harder to find around here. I had been feeding them Acana Ranchlands and even though it firmed up the boxers poop, it gives him horrid putrid gas that could clear a room in moments. About a week ago I switched them to Blue Buffalo and they are both doing great on it. No more smelly gas, everyone has nice formed stool, and they gulp it down (my other dog is a very finicky eater so finding a food that she WILL eat is wonderful!). I have heard tons of people here feeding TOTW, but I can't find any stores that sell it in my city.
It can be trial and error figuring out what works for your dog but I would stick to one with some higher quality ingredients.