Go Back   Boxer Board > PUPPY MATTERS > Puppy Feeding

Puppy Feeding Post here tips on feeding the young Boxer.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd October 2008, 08:30 PM
Boxer Pal

How much should I feed my pup?

My boxer boy is 12 weeks old and eats 3 times a day. How much should he be eating? The bag says up to 1 1/4 cup a day but he scarfs it down the minute he gets it. I have both of my dogs on Wellness and they love it! I've been feeding him closer to 2 1/2 cups a day plus a few puppy treats while training. He's very active outside and has seemed to put on a little weight since I increased his meals. Last week at the vet he weighed 22 lbs which the vet said was good. He just seems so hungry all the time and I have a hard time saying no more when he gives me that 'look'.

Any help is appreciated!
Emmitt reverse brindle, docked, floppy 7/17/08
Sponsored Links

Old 24th October 2008, 06:08 AM
Boxer Buddy

We got Bonnie when she was 13 weeks and when we took her to the vet he said to feed her 1-1 1/2 cups 3x's daily.

Old 24th October 2008, 07:16 AM
Super Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsnkids View Post
My boxer boy is 12 weeks old and eats 3 times a day. How much should he be eating? The bag says up to 1 1/4 cup a day but he scarfs it down the minute he gets it. I have both of my dogs on Wellness and they love it! I've been feeding him closer to 2 1/2 cups a day plus a few puppy treats while training. He's very active outside and has seemed to put on a little weight since I increased his meals. Last week at the vet he weighed 22 lbs which the vet said was good. He just seems so hungry all the time and I have a hard time saying no more when he gives me that 'look'.

Any help is appreciated!
When Caine was about that age, i was about 1 - 1 1/2 total for the day. I was feeding him 3 times as well.
When caine would eat he would scarf down his food like he'd never seen it before.. he did this for months. I think as they get older they slow down.. but he was about maybe 6-7 months before he would take his time and chew. He used to choke every once and a while when he ate because he inhaled it..
You could try wetting it a bit that might slow him down, or even place it on a cookie sheet so he has to work to pick it up.
Good Luck!

Old 24th October 2008, 09:18 AM
Boxer Insane

You can also put a tennis ball in the bowl so they have to work around that. But how much you feed depends upon the dog's activity level, their metabolism, if they're going through a growth spurt, as well as the brand of food so that can't really be answered "matter of fact". I will say though, you need to pay careful attention to a dog becoming overweight, and someimes "tough love" is a must. If I fed my female everything she wanted to eat she'd be back up to 70+ pounds and be severely overweight, so yes, as with human children, you just need to learn to say no. That does not mean starve them but if you know they don't need it, they're a good weight and growing, then sometimes "no" is the nicest thing you can do.

Good luck.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 1st November 2008, 05:11 PM
Boxer Pal

Thanks!

He's cut down to eating twice a day and getting a cup each time. He seems to be doing really well on his new food as well as going down to twice a day although I'm sure he'd love to eat more

Thanks for the helpful advice!

Old 2nd November 2008, 05:57 PM
Boxer Booster

Venus eats about 1 cup 3 x a day so about 3 cups, and she's 15 weeks now. At 12 weeks I think we were feeding her 3-4 times a day and 1/2 a cup each time totaling 2 cups a day.