Boxer Board

Boxer Board (http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/)
-   Agility/Obedience (http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/agility-obedience/)
-   -   Obedience? Maybe...? (http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/agility-obedience/159591-obedience-maybe.html)

chrystel 27th October 2011 11:41 AM

Obedience? Maybe...?

Hi everyone :)

I practice agility at an outdoor facility. So in crazy Texan summer heat.. and freezing Texan winter.. we don't have practice.

Of course, the die-hard people in my friendly group all have a house with agility course in their yeard.. or they join classes at an indoor facility.

I am thinking, maybe it would be fun to do an obedience class at an indoor facility with Oxford during the cold month, after our agility get canceled (I am thinking December maybe? - or January?)

Oxford is still very much reactive. But he LOVES working. He loves free shaping. He loves 101 games with the box. He is (oddly) very obedient. He loves sit-stay-go get your toy game we play at the park :)

Does anyone do obedience?
What is the clear difference between obedience and obedience rally? Do I need to do obedience and then obedience rally afterwards.

I found a place that has a BUNCH of classes. I don't know which one to choose first...

Here what they say:

Impulse Control 101: This class is for EVERY dog. All dogs need to learn to think before they do. We like them to do the thinking so we don't need to do the nagging. We will be working on door manners (crate and door ways) as well as walking nicely on leash. The human will think differently after this class too! Only 4 dogs per class

Basic Obedience - 6 Week Class: Hereís a chance to work on your dog's obedience and/or issues. Come out and join the fun - yes, fun! - as we work on your pup's skills and manners and solve those training challenges! This will be an upbeat and rocking class that will address the basics - control, attention and focus, and any throw-your-hands-up problems that you might have. We will also work on mastering the exercises that make up the Canine Good Citizen test.

Oh boy.. this is what I need :lol:
Agility for Reactive Dogs:This small group class is designed as a continuation of Reactive Dog class, therefore each dog must be evaluated prior to signing up for this class. Classes are structured for each dog's individual problem so they can move into a regular group agility class when they are ready.

Anyone here does obedience? :)

ouesi 28th October 2011 04:03 AM

Yep, we do obedience! Bates only has a rally novice title, but I hope to also put a CD on him the next time I have enough spare cash to justify a show weekend :)

Most people will tell you that rally is "easier", and while I agree that rally is a better place to start off, rally and obedience each have their own set of challenges.

- Rally courses are different each time, obedience is always the same set of exercises.

- Rally allows for multiple signaling and encouragement for your dog. In obedience you can not say and signal the command at the same time.

- For rally, you have to keep the dog engaged throughout the entire course, there are no breaks. In obedience, there is a break between each exercise. You can touch the dog at this time and rev him back up or calm him down. In rally there is no touching the dog or breaks for the duration of the course.

- You cannot use food or toy rewards in the ring for either obedience or rally. However in APDT rally you can reward with food for stationary exercises. APDT rally courses are usually longer and harder too.

- At the advanced and excellent levels, rally has a food and toy distraction. I donít think there is ever a food distraction in obedience (at least not on purpose, I suppose some left over bait could end up on the ground in the ring).

- I think for bigger dogs, another issue with rally would be that the courses can get pretty tight. Some judges really like the turns and pivots, and those are hard for the bigger dogs. (There are no 360s in obedience, 180 at the most.) Especially if you have a turn sign right next to a stationary sign, it doesnít give you a lot of room to get the dog straightened back out.

AKC now also has a beginner novice obedience class. A starting point for those wondering if they're ready to start obedience.

In general I would say that obedience can be just as much "fun" for the dog (and handler) as agility, its all in how you train for it.

johann 28th October 2011 03:04 PM

I do Rally obedience with Johann. :) I started out as a time filler between his basic manners class and when he was old enough to start agility (and give my broken leg time to heal).

1.5 years and quite a few trials later.....we're still in rally. :lol: The classes I take work on signs from all 3 rally venues (APDT, AKC, and UKC), but we compete only in APDT so far. I like the signs for APDT rally and that you can reward on course for stationary exercises (basically anything that ends with the dog sitting or in a down). Helps keep my monster interested in the "game".

I'd give it a try with him and see how he likes it. :) Johann got bored really quickly in our intro to rally class, but it was because we were in a class with dogs that barely knew sit/down/stand, and he hates drilling exercises. Now that we've moved up to level 2 and 3, the signs are more interesting and keep him engaged easier.

chrystel 28th October 2011 04:04 PM

Thank you so much!!!

Sounds like fun!!! I hope I can keep Oxford interested! :lol: