Go Back   Boxer Board > DOG SPORT > Other Sports

Other Sports Schutzhund, tracking, flyball...

Closed Thread

Old 23rd January 2006, 07:01 PM
Boxer Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilygirlCO
Our new puppy, Ishie, just went to his first Schutzhund "lesson" today. He's 4 months old now so he's only going to the Schutzhund club training to socialize him right now and then they are going to start training him on tracking. There's another Boxer puppy (imported from Germany) that's there right now socializing too. I didn't go but there was several Boxers there I guess.
Thats great! 'carefull, you might get addicted. By the way if you train him for schutzhund style tracking you'll be able to earn AKC tracking titles too.

have fun,
Astor

I'll see if I can find and post a picture of Allegro tracking at 3 months
Sponsored Links

Old 23rd January 2006, 07:48 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by astor
Thats great! 'carefull, you might get addicted. By the way if you train him for schutzhund style tracking you'll be able to earn AKC tracking titles too.

have fun,
Astor

I'll see if I can find and post a picture of Allegro tracking at 3 months
I would love to see photos! I like Allegro's name I think we're already getting addicted and we've hardly gotten started! It's a great group of people and dogs!

Old 5th February 2006, 01:10 AM
Boxer Pal

I have read different books and articles from the net and it shows that majority of these dogs that they use for these kinds of tasks are European lines, it may be a boxer, Dobermans or German shepherds and some other working breeds. I’ve seen a lot very informative shows on how these WORKING DOGS are meticulously selected, examined, go through process of elimination at a young stage of their puppy life to determine if they are capable to handle rigorous training, mentally and physically to complete a set of course in order for them to pass and get recognized and certified.
WHY and WHAT makes these European lines more desirable and commendable compared to their American counterparts to perform such obligations?

Old 5th February 2006, 08:54 AM
Boxer Pal

[QUOTE
WHY and WHAT makes these European lines more desirable and commendable compared to their American counterparts to perform such obligations?[/QUOTE]
In some european countries, for a litter to be regestired the parents have to meet certain standards including proof of working abilty. In the USA, in reguards to the AKC there are no requirements beyond being registered. Working ability is as inheritable as appearance so breeders
who don't select for working ability generally don't get it.

have fun

Old 7th February 2006, 11:22 AM
Boxer Pal

Schutzhund training in California

There is a guy in California (John Ailinsug?) that just titled his boxer recently as Schutzhund I and he lives in southwestern california. His city I can't exactly remember he was about an hour away from excondido and it begins with a T. He has a website that you can link to off of the USA boxers website. Look for a link refering to Q. He can hook you up with boxer clubs in California. I Schutzhund train a little in south florida. hshawpt.

Old 18th February 2006, 12:45 AM
Boxer Buddy

training

I learned a lot about schutzhund training in college,I only worked with German Shepards though. When you train, and throughout the dogs life, you can't let it get away with one little thing. You have to constsntly flip it over on it's back and let it know you are in charge. No mistakes ever. It is very serious and in my opion takes a lot away from the dog/owner relationship. A poorly trained dog is a lot more dangerous than a totally untrained dog. It takes years of work annd you must always keep up on the training.

Old 18th February 2006, 03:02 AM
Boxer Pal

Cool

I have been involved in schutzhund for 15+ years. No one in my club has ever done an alpha roll nor have some international level competitors I know. Our dogs are also family dogs and participate in normal family life; I belive the training has enhanced my relationship with my dogs.

Old 10th June 2006, 11:27 AM
Boxer Pal

Schutzhund Hopeful

I currently own a German Shepherd who I got from GS rescue. But I am hopefully going to be getting a brindle boxer boy in October or November of 2006 (Planned breeding by a lady who shows her dogs). I would love to get this pup into some sort of Schutzhund training! If anyone knows of anything in the Portland, Oregon area, please let me know!

Old 6th July 2006, 01:32 PM
Boxer Pal

I think the training methods a club uses say alot about the club. I also agree that just as breeders breed for conformation and health they need to breed for working ability to have it strongly represented in thier puppies. I have a 14 week old brindle boy. His mom is from Finnland and his dad is from Germany. I got him specifically to participate in Shutzhund with so I wanted to really look into his parents working abilities. They are curently both titled to a II and working toward their III.

I really believe this training will give you a great bond with your dog and a place for the dog to focus his/her energy.

Old 6th July 2006, 06:06 PM
Boxer Pal

Greetings boxerflint,

If the mom & pop are who I think they are you're off to a good start. (The number of Finnish female boxers currently competing in schutzhund is quite small).
As reguards training I think the important thing is to remember you're training a tri-athelete and that raising a working dog is not quite the same as raising a well mannered family pet.
have fun!!

Old 6th July 2006, 06:11 PM
Boxer Insane

I have joined the boxer schutzhund yahoo group and that's a great source of info. We have several clubs in the area and were able to shop around. We are currently working with a very competitive club and Ishie is the only boxer in it right now. But it's a lot of fun!