Go Back   Boxer Board > DOG SPORT > Other Sports

Other Sports Schutzhund, tracking, flyball...

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2003, 09:48 AM
Boxer Booster

Question Swimming.......

My Carmella is almost 8 months old. My in-laws have a swimming pool. Since the summer is here, I wanted to know how Boxer's react to water and the hole swimming thing? Carmella isn't affraid of the ball tub - she just doesn't know what to think of the hole situation, and I swim every day and wanted her to enjoy the pool, too! Any suggestions / comments are appreicated on this matter!

Thanks!
Jennifer
Sponsored Links

Old 21st May 2003, 10:26 AM
katie520

You know...I was wondering the same thing. I am glad you made this new thread. I want to take Duke swimming, but I was not sure if he would take to it very well. I guess the only way to find out is to try.

Old 21st May 2003, 10:39 AM
Boxer Booster

Hey your right this is a good thread but I hate to break it to you Boxers are not swimming dogs in fact they can't swim they think they can but they sink like a rock and most Boxers love the water but due to there big wide chests it makes it really hard for them to stay afloat But they do make life vests or floaties for them and I think you can purchase them at Petsmart My two love the water as long as they can touch the bottom so I would give it a try just don't toss them in the deep end LOL!!!

Heidi

Mommy to Zekekingicon and Zoeyqueenicon

Old 21st May 2003, 10:46 AM
Super Boxer

I think that saying Boxers can't swim is a rather "narrow" view.

Lady can swim, and she loves to swim. Not as much as a lab loves the water, but she gets in all buy herself, and is a mighty fine swimmer I might add. It took a little while at first, but my dad has a huge pool in the backyard, and I wanted to make sure she knew what to do into event she fell in.

So I threw her in, it petrified her. Not the best way to go about it. Get in with your pup. Hold them, if there are ledges, let them sit, and sit with them. Cuddle and fawn over them the whole time, and then they will associate the pool as beign a good thing.

Lady plays fetch in the water now- that's our biggest accomplishment. It's nice, because we live in Las Vgeas, and it gets hot. She will just get in on her own to cool off.

So don't lose hope- Boxers sure can be water dogs. You just have to help them out!
Come See My Gallery!
See Lady's Homepage Here!
Mitch- 3ft. long chocolate corn snake. wormicon

Old 21st May 2003, 11:19 AM
Boxer Booster

OK I stand corrected "most" Boxers are not good swimmers is that better I know my two will sink like rocks if they get in over their head they love the water they just are not good swimmers I don't think throwing your dog in deep water is a good idea I agree that you should get in with them and let them know it can be fun maybe give them swimming lessons for starters I think it's great that Lady is a swimming dog you have done a good job with her, but I also think getting a life vest or floaty would be a good investment!

Heidi

Mommy to Zeke kingicon Zoeyqueenicon

Old 21st May 2003, 11:29 AM
Super Boxer

Good your babies got to try in a nice clean pool... :)

On monday, Josh and I took Harlie to the river to jet-ski (Josh jet-skiied, Me and Har watched) And Joshs friend Ben went along. Well Me and Harlie are sitting on the dock and Ben asked to hold her (he is a 20 year old guy, so of course I said yes) She had a short leash on that is like a foot long, because I didnt want her to fall in, and I went to the bathroom, Well as I was coming back to the dock, I heard one of the kids screaming "HARLIE DONT DROWN! HARLIE DONT DROWN!" And I was booking it to the dock to see what the heck happened, and Ben had her head above the water becuase he was still holding the leash, I was soooo afraid that the collor would let go, and she would go under, but then as I got up there Ben was pulling her out, he said she just backed up too far and thats why she fell off the dock...I was a little aggravated because I had her on a short leash for a reason, SO SHE WOULDNT FALL IN!! So after that she was a little shaken up, I felt bad for her because I wasnt there to help her or anything, when we got home, she got a bath to get all the yuckie river water off of her, then she slept the rest of the night...poor baby! Now I bet she will never go swimming with us!!

Old 21st May 2003, 11:33 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

When we got Hammer we didn't really want to teach him to swim, but we wanted to be sure that he could in an emergency if he fell into the pool. So we took him one day with the idea that we'd teach him where the "exits" were in case he fell in. He sank like a stone! Now mind you, he was very young, but I'm not sure anythings changed.

Ginger, on the other hand, can swim and even dives! On the two occasions she's leapt into my pool I swear she's been going after the pool sweep on the bottom! The first time was her first day at my house, she leaped in and we thought she was sinking, not so. She was diving for the pool sweep! Eventually she surfaced (just before I went in after her) and swam to the side so we could pull her out.

So I wouldn't say all boxers can't swim, but I certainly wouldn't say they like it. Ginger has a VERY high prey drive and she WANTS that pool sweep! So she'll swim to try to get it! We keep a very close eye on them when they are in the yard just in case. This is our first summer with both of them, I have no idea how they'll react to US swimming in the pool yet.

Sharon

Old 21st May 2003, 11:48 AM
Super Boxer

I'm sorry if I came across as rude. And I don't want you to think that I just chucked my dog in the pool.

What matters I guess is that she can and does swim. I don't really feel that there's any need in her case for a life vest. She's a great swimmer, body form challenges and all. I think she learned her form from my best friends lab.

So maybe that's a good idea! Expose you pups too others who love the water, I'm sure they will come around, if not out of shear curiousity.

Old 21st May 2003, 11:53 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Sunday, Jesse had her first water experience. My husband and I went hiking with two of our friends and their two black labs. I knew that we were going to be by a lake so I brought Jesse’s life preserver. She loved the water but would not go past were she could touch. We would through a stick and then she would start to chase after it when ever the life preserver started to make her float she would back up. Of course one of the labs was only 6 months old and he would do the same thing (with out a vest). I am hoping that this summer Jesse will swim with her vest on when I am in the water. If not, I know at least she will have fun by the waters edge.

Old 21st May 2003, 12:29 PM
Boxer Booster

THANK YOU ALL! Carmella loves to get sprayed by the water hose, she even bits the water coming out of it. I was at Petsmart the other day and saw the life jackets, I'll definetly go and get one now. I just wish we would have some good weather here in Virginia so that Carmella and I could TRY to go swimming......if not swimming then sun bathing....HA Ha!

Old 21st May 2003, 12:40 PM
Super Boxer

Sammi loves to swim. Our pool is above-ground, so she can't get in by herself (and there's an awful lot of barking and jumping if we go in without her), but when we visit family in Florida, there's an in-ground pool that we just can't keep her out of! We've made sure to teach her where the exits are, but being the child that she is, we have to go in and force her out of the pool!
I think each family has to learn what their furbabies can or cannot do, and provide the correct safety precautions.

Old 21st May 2003, 12:42 PM
Boxer Buddy

Bubba sinks, I took him out & was holding on to him like you do with kids & as soon as i let go he was vertical, he was trying to paddle but his big ole paws were going straight up in the air & barely slapping the water & he just sunk like a rock. I carried him out & he never goes in over his head now, he wades around the edge but no more swimming lessons for the Bubbs.