Go Back   Boxer Board > DOG SPORT > Other Sports

Other Sports Schutzhund, tracking, flyball...

Closed Thread

Old 3rd August 2010, 01:00 PM
Super Boxer

Dock diving

A place near me has a set up for dog dock diving, along with classes and competition. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this, and if it something boxers would enjoy.

Forever in our hearts: Sally, Maxine, and Lucy - all at the bridge.
Sponsored Links

Old 3rd August 2010, 02:52 PM
Boxer Insane

Can Layla swim? I bet boxer would be really good at it, especially the "high jump" one instead of distance. Definitely a sport dominated by labs and -doodle crosses (at least in my area), but it looks like a lot of fun. I have a friend that does the annual Dock Dogs event in our area and her golden-doodle has a blast.

I can picture JOhann jumping in, starting to drown, then me having ot save him. I've seen a few dogs do the event with lifejackets on though, so that might be an option.

Have fun! I'm always trying to find new things to do with Johann to keep him amused (still sidelined from agility due to my injuries). I may try a tracking clinic with him next month, and want to do a beginner weight pull class soon too.

Old 4th August 2010, 08:35 AM
Super Boxer

Layla loves to swim! We made a point of socializing her to water early on. She isn't real smooth at it, but loves it anyway. She especially likes running on the beach chasing sea gulls. She will do this for awhile, and then just turn 90 degrees and boldly walk into the ocean for a swim.

However, diving may be a different thing. While she is very fast and athletic, she is also very lean. I had envisioned her going way under the water versus the other dogs who sort of stay on top. I hadn't considered a life jacket. I guess there is only one way to find out.

Old 4th August 2010, 12:10 PM
Boxer Buddy

I wish I could find something like that near us, my Jackson loves jumping in the pool. We have to drag him away as he will continually dive in, swim, get out, dive in, etc. This would be a great activity for him!!

Trudi