Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL CHAT > Other Pets

Other Pets If you have pets other than boxers then use this area to discuss any and everything about them.

Closed Thread

Old 1st June 2005, 03:38 PM
Boxer Pal

Need Advice! Great Dane/Mastiff with bad diarrhea

My brother has a 3 year old Great Dane / Mastiff mix that weighs 192 pounds. For the past 12 or so hours, he has had very bad diarrhea. It is basically liquid and is a bright yellow color. Does this sound fairly normal for an upset stomach or should he be concerned?

If it lasts for any amount of time, he will be brought to the vet, but in the meantime, I am hoping that someone can offer advice to help my brother and my parents get through the night with the sick dog. I have heard that canned pumpkin or Pepto-Bismol can soothe a dog’s stomach, but I would have no idea about the amount/dosage to give a 192 pound dog. Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by mksullivan; 1st June 2005 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 1st June 2005, 08:08 PM
Boxer Insane

I've gave my boxer pepto-bismol before for an upset stomach. I went on the safe side with one tablet crushed on his food. I dont know for a dane/mastiff, is there an emergency vet you could call?? There's been several ppl on here who've used the pepto bismol before, might call and see if a 24hr vet office recommends a dosage to hold till morning.

Old 1st June 2005, 09:27 PM
Boxer Pal

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, our 24 hour vet will not give any advice over the telephone - they need to examine the dog. My brother just played it safe and gave him a low dose of pepto and he'll be staying near him tonight.

Old 1st June 2005, 10:16 PM
Boxer Insane

I'm sorry that I don't have any medical advice, as far as dosage of Pepto. I just wanted to say that I hope your brother's pup is feeling better soon. Tyler and I are sending out some healing vibes!!

Old 2nd June 2005, 04:26 AM
Boxer Insane

This is probably too late to be of use in this case, but for future reference, this article gives the risks and safe doses for use of pepto-bismol in dogs: http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1456