Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL CHAT > Other Pets

Other Pets If you have pets other than boxers then use this area to discuss any and everything about them.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2003, 10:43 AM
Super Boxer

Average cost to spay a cat?

Hi everyone..A friend of mine is getting her kitty spayed this weekend and she got a price from a local vet around here that seems really high to me...anyone know the average cost to spay a cat and/or how much did you guys pay??? Our female came to us spayed and goodness knows my memory does not span back to when we got our male kitty neutered
thanks in advance

oops, she is having the cat declawed too
estimate is $474.00 for both
Sponsored Links

Old 16th May 2003, 10:52 AM
Boxer Insane

I have no idea what it would cost for both because I would never ever declaw a cat. I adopted Matilda from rescue and they offered a $40.00 spay fee if I took her to their vet. I wanted to take her to my vet instead and I think it was $150.00 .
Stephanie
Matilda & Marius - Russian Blue (cats)

Old 16th May 2003, 10:53 AM
Boxer Insane

The female cat I have was already fixed when we got her, so I'm not exactly sure. But I do know the vet my animals go to charges 50 bucks to neuter a male cat, females are normally always higher... like maybe around 60 to 70.

Old 16th May 2003, 10:55 AM
Super Boxer

steph i am totally with you...both lishi and gellie have their little razors but as they say....to each his own

Old 16th May 2003, 11:35 AM
Boxer Insane

I do not agree with declawing cats, although we are each entitled to our own choices. My vet will not declaw cats for any reason, she turns these customers away if they insist on having it done. I LOVE that because I think it speaks volumes about her character. As for spay, I have no clue. I have 2 male cats and they were $20 each to have neutered

Old 16th May 2003, 12:00 PM
Super Boxer

Just so you all know both my kitties have theri claws and I have the scratches to prove it I do not agree with declawing cats either however my friend says she has no choice and unfortunately it is not my decision it is hers...thanks for the costs..I am thinking that price sounds really high, I suggested she contact some of the other local vets and see what they charge..thanks guys

Old 16th May 2003, 12:07 PM
Boxer Booster

$474 is an outrageous price to pay unless she's getting GOLD stitches!

I paid $125 2 yrs ago to get my kitty spayed and declawed.

Old 16th May 2003, 12:29 PM
Super Boxer

We havent checked into it yet to get our 5 month old siamese kitten spayed so I'm not quite sure, we're also no declawing her so I don't know. I trim her nails frequently so it doesn't really cause a problem.

Old 16th May 2003, 01:03 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally posted by cascel
$474 is an outrageous price to pay unless she's getting GOLD stitches!

I paid $125 2 yrs ago to get my kitty spayed and declawed.
I do know that more and more vets are now using laser to declaw cats, which in some areas, is atleast doubling the price. Also laser spays are more costly than conventional spays. Your friend may want to get a cost break down because often prices vary by what is included in the quote. For example, $474 may include overnight boarding, extra pain meds, fluids, laser for both procedures, post surgical wraps for the feet, etc. and although another clinic may quote her $225, they may only be quoting her for the spay and declawing not all the extras that are necessary. Nothing worse than getting hit with a $400 bill when you were expecting $225. I'd recommend getting a cost break down and if the vet won't give you one, I'd highly recommend NOT using that facility Good luck!

Old 19th May 2003, 10:17 AM
Super Boxer

Thanks everyone. Well the deed(s) are done and Aimee you were correct. That was the total price and they did use the laser on one of the procedures..can't recall if she told me which one..little chloe is just fine thanks everyone