Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Holistic care

Closed Thread

Old 18th January 2006, 11:26 AM
Boxer Buddy

Question How much Holistic Vets charge

I am sure everyone in this forum has seen a holistic vet. I am considering going to one in my area since she is supposed to be very experienced with the digestive problems that Cassius has. Is it normal for them to be more expensive than traditional vets? Like in the area of 3 times more expensive? I normally pay about $45 for an initial visit to the traditional vet and the Holistic vet is charging $150 for the initial visit.

Please help thanks,

Old 18th January 2006, 11:44 AM
Reasonable Moderator

Holistic vets may charge a lot more, but they also spend considerably more time with you. I would think that $150 is not bad for a Holistic Vet. Follow up visits may cost less.

Old 18th January 2006, 01:36 PM
Boxer Buddy

My vet is alittle of a traditional vet and alot of a holistic vet along with an animal acupuncturist. My bill is around 115 to 135 per visit. But she is so into Whiskey, each time I take her in for shots the vet will spend no less then 2 hours playing and checking her out. It's not "stick, next" like most vets.

Old 18th January 2006, 01:46 PM
Boxer Insane

I switched Mason to a holistic vet last Spring after he had a severe case of hives, see my gallery. My regular vet who I had been going to since I was a child kept giving him steroids to treat everything and not really looking into the root of the problem. The charges are a little higher but worth it to me. Mason looks great and I think feels great, if he could only talk lol.

Mason - Fawn Male 7/18/00
Penny - Fawn Female Rescue ?/??/02

Old 19th January 2006, 02:05 PM
Boxer Buddy

well thanks for your responses. Sounds like you all have positive experiences with holistic vets. In fairness it does seem like they have more to offer than a traditional vet.

Is there anyone here that has had a negative experience with a holistic vet?

Does anyone use pet insurance and how well does it cover stuff like regular vet visits?