Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Holistic care

Closed Thread

Old 17th October 2011, 01:16 PM
Boxer Booster

Question About Coconut Oil ?

I just bought some from Walmart in a glass jar and it says it's organic and refined just wondering if anyone else has used this or is this an ok one to go with ?

It also says on the jar for med high heat,lol I have never used this or bought it. I figured I would try it out.
Sponsored Links

Old 17th October 2011, 05:25 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I give my guys coconut oil but always the unrefined. Unrefined as much more benefits plus it is not processed with anything.
Capone 07/29/2009 Brindle Male Nub Floppy

Old 17th October 2011, 09:19 PM
Super Boxer

I agree. Unrefined for us also. Refined coconut oil has been processed with chemicals, so we do not use this kind.

Old 18th October 2011, 05:58 AM
Boxer Booster

Thanks for replying , I did some research online yesterday and found that out so I went to a Health store and got the virgin coconut oil unrefined. And of course she loves it . How much do you give and how many times a day? Last night I actually rubbed some on her belly because she's been itching and I rubbed it on her paws. This morning I started with 1/2tsp in her food.

Old 18th October 2011, 12:38 PM
Super Boxer

I have read anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per 10 pounds of weight. You want to start slow so maybe a 1/2 tsp for a few days then go up from there. Each dog is different so you will have to see how much is just the right amount for you pup.

When we started Nala on it, her allergies actually got a little worse then all a sudden all was gone and she was fine running and jumping and being crazy. She is on 1 TBS twice a day mixed in her meals.

Reo was getting the same but he had a pancreatitis issue several months ago and even though the vet said it had nothing to do with it, we are a little nervouse about adding it back into his diet. According to my research its supposed to be good for that but I don't want him to hurt either. However its not off the table for him just yet

Our cat even gets it every morning in her food and won't eat unless its in it

We also rub it on any sores from wrestling or cuts on paws, even bumps that pop up do to bug bites or hives.

Last edited by nalabear; 18th October 2011 at 12:41 PM.

Old 18th October 2011, 02:09 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Same here. Both my guys get 1 TBS twice a day. I also rub it on cuts and scraps they get from wrestling.

Old 18th October 2011, 06:59 PM
Boxer Booster

Do you guys give this instead of the flaxseed or fish oil? Is it better? I have some, but never thought to use it on the dogs.
Isis - 9/11/03~7/24/11 - White Boxer lost to Cancer

Old 18th October 2011, 07:19 PM
Boxer Booster

Thanks for sharing everything . I really hope this works for her. I started out with the 1/2 tsp and hasn't seemed to bother her . She loves it and when she smells it she starts licking my hand . I rub it on her belly and under her neck . I also rub it on her paws because she won't stop licking them and they are so red. Yesterday I rubbed some and I wrapped her feet , it was so funny she would not walk or put her foot down. Today I did not wrap I just rubbed it in . I want to make sure it gets in her skin good . How long did it take before you started seeing results?

Old 19th October 2011, 10:35 AM
Super Boxer

It shouldn't take to long to see results even with the small amount. You will notice more as you increase the amount you give.

When you rub the coconut into the skin make sure it sits for a good 10 min before licking commences That will give it time to soak in and do some good.

Old 19th October 2011, 10:39 AM
Super Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaMN View Post
Do you guys give this instead of the flaxseed or fish oil? Is it better? I have some, but never thought to use it on the dogs.
I have not given fish oil or flax seed with the coconut oil. So I am not sure if its good or not. But it is a great question that I would love to know

Old 20th October 2011, 09:36 AM
Boxer Booster

I have bumped her up to 1tbs but I have to say I think she's getting worse before better . It's only been about 4 days . So I know I need to give it time . I really need to get her feet back to normal but that's the hard part with her to stop licking them .

Old 20th October 2011, 12:21 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondmom View Post
Thanks for sharing everything . I really hope this works for her. I started out with the 1/2 tsp and hasn't seemed to bother her . She loves it and when she smells it she starts licking my hand . I rub it on her belly and under her neck . I also rub it on her paws because she won't stop licking them and they are so red. Yesterday I rubbed some and I wrapped her feet , it was so funny she would not walk or put her foot down. Today I did not wrap I just rubbed it in . I want to make sure it gets in her skin good . How long did it take before you started seeing results?
Does your dog have allergies? If so, you need to figure out what is causing the allergies first before you start with remadies like this because if you don't find the cause, and if the coconut oil works, the allergy will resurface when you stop the oil.

I ask because I have an allergy dog and your description of licking feet all the time. This is usually a high indicator that an allergy of some sort is present such as to grass, food or yeast.

And yes, sometimes it does feel like it gets worse before it gets better.

So, if you feel there is an allergy you need to get to the root of that so what ever it might be can be identified and eliminated if possible.

Good luck
1 crazy yellow cat~Scooter 1996-2011