Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Holistic care

Closed Thread

Old 26th January 2011, 06:42 PM
Boxer Insane

Back / Hip Arthritis

Riley is developing a touch of arthritis in his back and his left hip. Every now and then when he gets up (mainly first thing in the morning) he has a bit of stiffness. My vet (who I do trust) suggested putting him on Rimadyl. I'm very uneasy about doing that and would like to try a safer more natural approach. He's also taking Sotalol now for his heart so I'll need to make sure whatever route I go will not clash with the Sotalol. Do any of you have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

Old 26th January 2011, 07:34 PM
Boxer Insane

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on a product called Organic Pet Superfood Joints Powder?

Old 26th January 2011, 08:05 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

My last dog Toby took Glycoflex III since the age of seven, and it helped him tremendously. (diagnosed with hip arthritis via x-ray at that time) He lived to be 16 and it was only the last year or so of his life that the arthritis got bad enough to require actual pain medicine. Glycoflex comes in varying strengths but for some reason we started out with the top level. Did a loading dose for two weeks and then he was on half a pill a day, gradually increasing over the years until he was at two full pills a day, one am and one pm. I highly recommend Glycoflex for arthritis, especially if he is just starting to show signs, rather than go straight to a pain medicine. (It's glucosamine and chondroiton and maybe msm too, I forget if there is a third active ingredient or not)

Old 26th January 2011, 08:38 PM
Boxer Insane

Yeah I'd recommend a joint supplement and a good dose of fish oil (1,000mg per 10-20 pounds of dog) if that's okay with the heart issue. I wouldn't give Rimadyl. There are many other chocies that are safer, Previcox, Gabapentin, Metacam, Deramaxx, among others. If you want to go pain pill route versus NSAID's there's Tramadol which I personally prefer and used for my girl for a few years.

Good luck!
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 27th January 2011, 06:18 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer_21 View Post
Does anyone have any experience or opinions on a product called Organic Pet Superfood Joints Powder?
I haven't heard about the product but what you want to make sure before you buy any product is that it meets the dosage guidelines for supplements for arthritic dogs:

glucosamine (25 mg/lb/day),
chondroitin (20 mg/lb/day)
MSM (45 mg/lb/day)
fish oil (500 - 1000 mg/10 lbs/day) Our surgeon advised us that for the fish oil to be truly anti inflammatory it needs to have a high EPA content (Sky at 42 pounds needs 1400mg of EPA daily. Target has a double strength brand that I used before and right now I use "Super EPA" from a company called "Now", I have seen similar products at health food stores)
Vit E (400 mg/day) Vitamin E should always be given when you supplement with fish oil

You don't have to buy products that are made for pets, you can also use products for humans, they are usually better quality and often cheaper.

I have also heard very good things about injections with Adequan:
Adequan for Dogs
Animal Health Products - Horse Arthritis - Luitpold Animal Health

Old 27th January 2011, 07:58 PM
Boxer Insane

Thanks for all the recommendations! Guess I've got a lot more reading ahead of me now.

I spoke to the covering doctor on duty (seems our normal doctor is never in when I need her ) and she said none of these treatments should interfere with the sotalol. Of course, the doctor in her recommended that I set up appointments to see their doctor for acupuncture treatments. I'm not saying I won't look into that, but I'd really like to give treating it at home on my own a go first. It just makes me cringe thinking of how stressed out Riley would be having to go the hospital so much for his heart and now for the arthritis. He does NOT like going there, but I can't say I blame him!

Sansal, Riley is between 85-90lb (he's very tall, not really overweight). Going by the plan you suggested, if I did my math right, he'd be taking a LOT of pills. Thankfully, getting him to take pills is never a problem. He's such a good boy in that department! How many pills does your girl take and how do you spread them out throughout the day?

Old 27th January 2011, 08:17 PM
Boxer Insane

Right now Sky is taking 1 Vitamin E in the morning, a total of 4 super EPA a day (2 in the morning, 2 in the evening) and 3 Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSN (it's a combination product containing all three supplements) With taking just 3 pills we actually don't quiet reach the recommended MSN content, I would have to get additional MSN pills to meet the recommended content)
The Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSN she gets in the evening because I have noticed that it upsets her stomach if given in the morning.
Thankfully Sky is also very good with taking pills, I just mix them in with her kibble and she gobbles everything up
At some point she had to take even more pills (she has immune mediated polyarthritis, thank god we finally have it under control) and it was getting a little tricky to suspend all the pills at the right time but once the routine is down it gets easier.

Old 27th January 2011, 08:27 PM
Boxer Insane

Also, I know what you mean about the acupuncture. Sky went for low level laser therapy for a while. But to be honest it is really hard to tell if and how much it really helps. Often times I wished I could just ask Sky what kind of a treatment she thinks would be best for her. If Riley is stressed out going to the hospital I wonder how beneficial those treatments would really be.

Old 28th January 2011, 05:55 AM
Boxer Insane

Yes, Riley gets very stressed at the vets. As as we get him inside he starts shaking and I have to walk with them when they need to get him to go out back for a weight, etc otherwise he plants his butt down and won't move. He looks so pitiful!

I just noticed in your original post you said 400mg / day for the Vitamin E. Did you mean this as a straight 400mg or should be per pound like the others? Also with the fish oil, I checked my local superstore last night and they have what I'd call plain fish oil and then they have it with Omega-3. Should I go the Omega-3 route?

Old 28th January 2011, 06:36 AM
Boxer Insane

The Vitamin E is just 400I.U. a day per dog, no matter the weight (sorry, I think I said mg, it's I.U.).

About the fish oil, to be honest, I don't know what exactly the difference is between the different kinds. I just went with what the surgeon told me to look for. The super EPA I am using right now has 2000mg natural fish oil concentrate, 1200mg Omega 3 Fatty Acids, 720 mg EPA and 480mg DHA per serving (2 Softgels).

This article has some information: Fish Oil – many health benefits for dog health : Whole Dog News

Last edited by Sansal; 28th January 2011 at 06:37 AM.

Old 1st February 2011, 03:54 PM
Boxer Booster

What is the purpose of the Vitamin E? I am supplementing fish oil right now for a dog with possible IBD. I noticed you said dogs getting fish oil should also get vitamin E, but I didn't know why. I want to make sure I am not missing something important.

Old 1st February 2011, 04:06 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffdiz View Post
What is the purpose of the Vitamin E? I am supplementing fish oil right now for a dog with possible IBD. I noticed you said dogs getting fish oil should also get vitamin E, but I didn't know why. I want to make sure I am not missing something important.

Most fish oil capsules (for humans anyway) already have the vitamin E in them so it's not necessaary to also supplement with it. But vitamin E is good for the skin and coat and is also a natural anti-inflammatory which may help with the IBD.

The reason for the vitamin E with fish oil is it keeps it from oxidizing and keeps it stable, but if you're using human pills, more than likely it already has it.