Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER RESCUE FORUMS > General rescue forum

General rescue forum For people who are involved in rescue or want to support it.

Closed Thread

Old 13th January 2012, 01:42 AM
Boxer Pal

Rescue with kids a problem?

My husband and I are eager to add a boxer to our family. We are experienced boxer owners (we were forced to rehome our boxer girl due to an overseas military move), but don't currently have any pets. We do, however, have three kids (aged 4,3,1) with a baby due in July. Because of our kids, we know a puppy is NOT the way for us to go. (I can just imagine a puppy teething on a crawling baby! ) Anyway, we are very interested in adopting an adult boxer or possibly purchasing an adult dog from a reputable breeder. Will a boxer rescue deem us an unworthy home because we do have several small children? Would a breeder have the same reservations? We are prepared to wait and find the right dog for our family (and we do expect this dog will be a family member and constant companion... coming with us to drop off kids at school and on family vacations).... just wondering how a rescue will look at our large-ish family? Oh, and I'm a stay at home mom, so I'll be around all the time to give a dog the attention it needs!
Sponsored Links

Old 13th January 2012, 08:46 AM
Boxer Booster

Some rescues have their dogs in foster care and know quite well before adopting out the dog if they are good with kids (small kids v.s. only bigger kids) and can usually find a pretty good match for your family. I think that having small children will limit the options of which dogs are suitable but won't make the rescue organizations completely turn away from you. Being a stay at home mom should also be a bonus when adopting a new dog into your home as you have that time to spend with them on a daily basis.

I would contact some rescues in your area and find out if they can help you match the right dog to your family (which any good rescue should be able to assist you with). Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacquim For This Useful Post:
Gatorblu (13th January 2012), prittiegirl (15th January 2012)

Old 13th January 2012, 10:42 AM
Boxer Insane

I agree with Jacquim. Good rescues test dogs in different situations before adopting out. I would also request a less hyper boxer since you do have small children. I have two boxers and one is a full out run and play girl. She is great with kids over the age of 5 or 6. My other is much more mellow and smaller children just love to come up and hug him. He really is great with kids of all ages.
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 13th January 2012, 12:29 PM
Boxer Insane

There is no reason why you cannot rescue a dog. Just take your time and choose wisely. As others have said try to work with a rescue that knows their dogs well and if possible uses foster homes. Also people are always concerned about how the dog is with kids. But we also always ask how are your kids with dogs? Kids need to be taught limitations and how to respect the pets and of course supervision is key. There are people out there that think a dog should take whatever a kid (s) dishes out and that is when they get themselves into trouble.

PS What state do you live in?

Old 13th January 2012, 04:17 PM
Boxer Pal

a puppy is possible

Just wanting to say dont completely rule out the thought of a puppy. There are pros and cons to every situation, but my sister got a boxer pup from me when her son was 7 mos old and they were buddies from early on. We have pictures of him climbing all over their boy dog named Thortie. Boxers are known to be "endlessly tolerant with children", although I am well aware all are different. We knew the temperment of Thortie's dad and mom, and he was a mellow pup, the most mellow of the litter of 3. Some breeders are trained in testing pups for temperment and can match them with the best home situation. Also, with a pup you dont have possible behavior problems from mistreatment. I got our current boy from rescue at 8 weeks old-- his mom was rescued the day before she delivered 10 pups-- rescued from a backyard breeder. Our boy is wonderful-- we of course neutered him as soon as medically safe. As far as teething, we always had good luck redirecting chewing from something we didnt want them chewing to a toy appropriate for them.
Good luck in your search-- I'm sure whatever you do will be great because you are thinking it all out so well ahead of time.

Old 13th January 2012, 07:16 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Also, with a pup you dont have possible behavior problems from mistreatment.
This is a myth! There is NO GUARANTEE that your dog wont have behavioral issues just because you raise it from a pup. Keep in mind it’s not until a dog hits sexual maturity that some innate behavioral problems start to surface. There are many desperate calls made to rescues from people who paid thousands of dollars for a purebred puppy, who is now a year or 18months old and biting people, attacking other dogs, or engaging in some odd neurotic behavior. Buying & raising a puppy doesn’t mean you will automatically get a well tempered dog.

The truth is this: when we list a 4 month old puppy, we can only guess what kind of adult she’ll make. When we list a 2 to 3 year old dog, we can predict pretty accurately what kind of dog you’ll have forever. Puppies take a long time to develop and mature before you see the true dog. However if you rescue an adult what you see is what you get. They have already grown into themselves.

And rescue dogs are not broken. Most of them have no history of mistreatment or abuse. Many of the dogs in rescue are there due to no fault of their own. Often they are already trained, healthy, and have wonderful temperaments. I will tell you that I have fostered a lot of Boxers in the last several years. Some of the absolute BEST tempered dogs were adult strays with NO KNOWN HISTORY. Most rescue/ shelter dogs are nice dogs that just need a 2nd chance. Working in rescue I see so many happy "customers" who love & trust their rescue dogs completely. With that said there are the occasional "special needs" dogs that do have behavioral issues. I don't want to paint a picture of all roses & sunshine because there are occasional issues but 98% of the time everything works out just fine. My advice is for people to meet the dog, spend time with it & ask questions. And trust their instincts! Adopters should spend as much time with the dog as necessary to feel comfortable. Watch how she interacts with your kids (oldest kid 1st) & then decide. And trust the advice of the rescue. We usually have a good idea of what type of home each dog is suited for. Any good rescue will take the time to really know their dogs and their temperments.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EAO76 For This Useful Post:
CashNGeorgia (13th January 2012), jacquim (13th January 2012), prittiegirl (15th January 2012), RockyCody (10th February 2012)

Old 14th January 2012, 09:41 AM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy Rescue dogs vs. pups

Please note that in my post I stated that all dogs are different and nothing is a guarantee. I am a mature long-time boxer owner who was not trying to lead someone astray, just suggesting they not completely rule out a puppy if that was one of their options. Both of my current dogs are rescues; my boxer was rescued as a baby but my Italian greyhound girl was rescued at 11 months. Her temperment is great, but we have had to give her lots of love and reassurance over the last 2 years to really see her personality blossom due to mistreatment before we got her, including a leg being broken and never set, left to heal on its own and may require surgery down the line. This would never keep me from adopting her, but she has required lots of special treatment and still gets extremely anxious if left alone. A puppy from a great breeder could indeed have the same characteristics, we never know. All animals deserve a great forever home. I joined Boxerworld because I felt it was a place we all could freely state opinions, and I have to say the previous post hurt my feelings. Good luck to all.

Old 15th January 2012, 10:03 PM
Boxer Pal

Thanks for your responses! We do intend to teach our kids the right way to be around dogs. I was just concerned that a rescue (or a breeder) would see a family with several small kids as not right for a dog. We will be sure to find the right fit for our family... we can't wait to add a box to our house!

Old 15th January 2012, 11:11 PM
Super Boxer

The way I see it, yes, the OP could do a puppy, but honestly, if I had 4 kids under the age of 5, I do not think I would have the energy to put into raising one with my full energy or capacity. I LOVE the idea of you looking for a nice mellow adult dog who can easily mesh into your family without a ton of added work. There will be some, which I know you are aware of, being a previous boxer owner, but it won't be the same as a puppy AND it would be saving a life. I read your intro post, and am glad that you were able to find a loving home for your past boxer and that you have come full circle now that you are back in North America and you can take on another well deserving dog.

Good luck on your journey!

Old 13th February 2012, 01:52 PM
Boxer Buddy

I am a fan of adopting adult dogs. I don't think anybody would deem you unworthy just because you have kids. Where I live, kids and families are often considered the best possible home for a dog - as long as you interview the family and you know that they don't want it "for the kids to play" as if the dog was a toy. I'm pretty sure you can find a dog which will meet the kids requirement - just make sure that you emphazise that you have small children, so the dog has to tolerate them. Even if the children are well-behaved, it doesn't mean the dog will like them, so make sure they know the dog is apt for kids. That said, if you're planning to get a boxer, well bred boxers are, traditionally, kids' friend.
Good luck! I hope you can find your perfect match!

Old 14th February 2012, 09:17 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Doggie View Post
(we were forced to rehome our boxer girl due to an overseas military move),
I take it there will not be another move that will force you to give up another dog?

Are you sure you want to add a dog to the mix with 4 young children. I only have 2 children and find myself chasing my tail some days!!

My boy is a rescue, he was 2ish when we rescued him. He is brilliant with my children, nieces & nephews, not so much with others.

You should just take your time to find the 'right' dog for your family, I worked at the local shelter for 2 years before Billy came into our lives. No other before him seemed the right fit.

Good luck with your search.
Cruciate Surgery Dec 2011.

Old 17th February 2012, 10:58 PM
Boxer Pal

Because we've done an overseas tour, we won't be forced to do another, so this shouldn't ever be an issue again. I know it sounds like a lot, four kids and a dog, but our family is ready for the right dog! I've been in touch with rescues and some reputable breeders looking for the right one... Our search looks promising! Thanks for the words of encouragement! Like I said before, we know 4 kids sounds like a lot, but it's good to know that rescues won't reject us because of it. Our family really is ready for a boxer and we are so excited!