Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > Feeding

Feeding For general feeding and nutrition related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 24th December 2005, 02:47 PM
Boxer Booster

Question How do you know if your dog likes or dislikes his food

Rocky will eat eventually but doesn't scarf his food down when we put it down. I don't know what to do.
He has been on wellness canidae and Natural Balance never acts like he likes any of them. I just started adding yogurt to food and he scarfs it down.
Rocky has been throwing up all day today and for the last several days.
we are used to him throwing up if he gets too much water but this is getting crazy. He plays and acts just fine though.
Everytime you take them to the vet a tell the vet they are throwing up they want to change diet and they don't recommend any of the top brand foods. They want to put them on hills or science diet. I am very frustrated and don't know what to do. I don't want to take a dog that doesn't appear to be ill to the vet. Don't need the bill. For what I spend at the vet to tell me to change his food. I could by a couple 40lbs bags of dog food.

Please help. Thanks Brittany
Sponsored Links

Old 24th December 2005, 05:06 PM
Reasonable Moderator

I don't know what Wellness food you fed, but both Canidae and Natural Balance are Chicken based. It's possible that chicken is causing the problem. You might want to try a food where the main meat source is not chicken.

Good luck!

Old 26th December 2005, 09:36 PM
Super Boxer

We have Rocco on Solid Gold Hund'N'flocken and he seems to like it alot. We mix in the canned varieties to give him some different flavors. We have also tried the Merrick Grammy's pot pie..... he loved it unfortunately it didn't love him. I've been thinking of giving the Merrick Turducken a try though......we have recently found out that he was sick so I'm not sure that the Merrick caused his runny bm's so I'm thinking of giving it a try again. They just seem to offer the most variety!
Also, with Merrick, you can request samples from their website.

Old 27th December 2005, 06:37 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco's Mom
Also, with Merrick, you can request samples from their website.
We ordered the Merrick Wilderness blend over the internet and Hannah loves it, but Samson would not touch it. I would like to give some of their other flavors a try. Do you have to email them for the samples? I didn't see anything on their web site offering them.

How old is Rocky? Samson went through periods of not eating. We just kept him on the same food and after a day or so, he would be eating again. If he seems to get sick with chicken-based foods, try a premium lamb or other base. You could also try some of the premium foods made for allergy prone dogs.

Let us know how he is doing!!

Last edited by Valantar; 27th December 2005 at 06:42 AM.

Old 27th December 2005, 07:16 AM
Super Boxer

I ordered Grammy's Pot Pie from the Merrick website and in the comment area, I requested some samples of Cowboy cookout. I think they sent me 3 sample packets of it. Rocco loved that one too.