Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > Feeding

Feeding For general feeding and nutrition related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 21st April 2005, 12:11 PM
Boxer Pal

Question BRAT diet for dogs?

Rocky has a tendency to get doggy diahrea. Not often, but enough. The low-residue stuff from the vet gets expensive. So, any suggestions for a doggy version of the brat (bananas/rice/applesauce/toast) diet for people?

Thanks!

~Elizabeth

Old 21st April 2005, 12:41 PM
Energetic Moderator

Quote:
Rocky has a tendency to get doggy diahrea. Not often, but enough.
Boxers can have quite sensitive stomachs. Rather than purchasing the Vet's "special food" or using a "BRAT" Diet, why not find out what specifically your Boxer cannot tolerate?

By far, the most common culprit is grains. Dogs are primarily carnivores, but can also digest some vegetables/fruits as well (exactly how much is needed in their diet, if any, is debatable) -- but certainly not grains. Unfortunately, most commercial foods are loaded with grains and cheap fillers such as:

Corn (corn by-product, meal and gluten)
Whole Wheat
Beet Pulp
Rice

These are often times the most common source of allergies in dogs. The following page has some great information on choosing a quality kibble:

www.boxerworld.com/feeding

Hope this helps

Old 21st April 2005, 01:00 PM
Boxer Insane

Courtney323's advice is the best. The most important thing is to find out why the puppy is getting diahrea.

When Tess gets diahrea, I feed her steamed rice and boiled chicken. That's the equivalent of BRAT for dogs according to my vet. However, it's not meant to be the dog's primary food (and if you're dog's allergic to chicken, will only make it worse). It's meant, just as BRAT in humans to give the tummy time to cool off w/out aggrivating it more.

If your dog has a persistent problem, you really need to follow Courtney323's advice and figure out what the root of it is.

Good luck,

Old 22nd April 2005, 09:35 AM
Boxer Pal

Mods - sorry for posting in the wrong spot! wormicon

Thanks for the advice on allergies. Rocky's already on a high protien, low grain diet. I have a friend with a rescue dane who has an EXTREMELY sensitive stomach (poor baby had bloat a couple of years ago), so I took her advice in dog food. She explained the myths of grains being good for dogs. I did cut back on kibble and increase the meat, which her dog cannot have.

The vet diagnosed parasites. The parasites are normal, in a small amount, in the intestines. However, Rocky's multiply when he's under stress. We had to kennel him last weekend as we couldn't take him camping with us (no dogs allowed on Scout outings ), hence the outbreak. We've used this place for years, but I think it's time to find a new one.

I'll try the steamed rice and chicken.

~Elizabeth

Edited to add: Rocky's 2 1/2 years old and was the runt (according to the byb).

Last edited by me3boyz; 22nd April 2005 at 09:38 AM. Reason: To add information.

Old 22nd April 2005, 10:57 AM
Boxer Insane

What kind of parasite is it? Is it something that responds to treatment? Perhaps another deworming (if worms) would do the trick?? Did your doctor give you anything for the diarrhea specifically? It might not be a bad idea to call and give the vet an update on his situation. Maybe he/she can give something for the diarrhea if nothing else.

Tess had whipworms and our doc perscribed a dewormer and flagyl (generic) to calm her colon. It helped to harden up her stools as we were de-worming.

It's worth a call, especially since you've identified the issue.