Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > Feeding

Feeding For general feeding and nutrition related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 18th November 2004, 09:57 PM
Super Boxer

Food for dogs with bladder stones?

I just wanted to get some input from other people who have had more experience before we discuss it with our vet...
One of our dogs (not a boxer) has bladder stones and is having surgery to remove them tomorrow. Our vet says that we will need to change her diet to help prevent them from recurring. He said we would discuss that after her surgery when I go to pick her up. I have been feeding all 4 of my dogs Wellness for about 6 months. Before that, it was a low quality dog food(Purina). I am not sure what my vet is going to recommend, but I am sure it is something that the office sells, probably Science Diet.
Any suggestions on alternatives of good dog foods for a dog with this problem? Is Wellness not a good choice in this case? I have been trying to do some research on it and all I am finding is what "people" food that is off limits, like yogurt and cheese.
I would like to stay on a high quality dog food. I would love to stay with Wellness so all the dogs eat the same food, but I understand if that has to change because of her condition. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by Sidda1018; 18th November 2004 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links

Old 18th November 2004, 10:31 PM
Boxer Insane

He will test the stones when they are removed & will tell you what caused them & science diet does make one & you are right, he will have one to sell,wait & see what he suggest, then research all brands,cause there are many on the market.Hope your dog gets better soon,sending healing vibes your way! Hanley

Old 19th November 2004, 06:00 AM
Super Boxer

Thanks for the reply, Hanley, and for the encouragement.

Our vet says that most dogs have one type of stone that can be managed with diet. He said he was going to do the surgery, then have us change her food. He said if she continues to have problems, then he would reccommend lab tests on the stones. I realize that a different vet might do things a little different, but I like my vet and I trust him with her treatment for this. I am basically just wanting to know what my options are going to be when we go to change her food. I don't want to take Science Diet if there is a more high quality food for dogs managing bladder stones. I have been trying several searches and don't come up with any specific brands other than Science Diet. So I guess I will just listen to what the vet has to say about food, and what we should be limiting. I may get a small bag of whatever he reccommends until I can find more info.

Old 19th November 2004, 06:31 AM
Boxer Insane

Found this info on the web. Hope it helps ~ Cathy
When the infection is treated by the correct antibiotic, cranberry juice Capsules (not cranberry juice) can be given to the dog. These help to stop bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall and help prevent future infections. Some people have had success keeping the urine acidic, which helps prevent these crystals from forming, by feeding acidic foods and avoiding alkaline foods. A raw, natural diet is high in acidic foods.
Because bladder infections lead to high alkaline urinary pH and struvite crystals, many people, including many vets, make the mistake of treating the problem by acidifying the diet. But that is confusing cause and effect. Alkaline pH and struvite crystals are not caused by a diet of alkaline foods; they are usually caused by bladder infections. Therefore, trying to make the urine more acidic will not get rid of the infection. Alkaline pH can also be normal, as pH can vary a great deal even in the same dog at different times of the day, and also by the way the urine was captured and handled before testing.
If your dog has struvite bladder stones, then acidifying the diet, along with treating the infection, can help dissolve the stones. Ascorbic acid (a form of vitamin C), and distilled water can help with this. , Acidic foods include chicken, beef, eggs, fish, pork, cottage cheese, yogurt, rice (brown and white), beans, nuts and all seafood. See http://www.herbtime.com/InformationP...kalineAcid.htm for more information on acidifying and alkalizing foods. See http://www.marvistavet.com/html/cani...er_stones.html for more information on struvite bladder stones.
Calcium Oxalate
Calcium Oxalate crystals tend to affect more males than females. Common breed occurrences include Yorkshire Terriers, Miniature Poodles, Lhaso Apso, and Miniature Schnauzers. Calcium Oxalate crystals can also be found in a healthy dog, but are more prone to develop into stones in some dogs. The pH in dogs with these types of crystals is usually acidic or neutral. It is thought that some dogs that are more prone to these types of stones have an inherited weakness that prevents them from forming nephrocalein, which prevents calcium oxalate stone formation. While these stones are mostly treated by surgically removing them, there has been some success with reducing the oxalate rich foods in the diet and working to alkalize the urine pH.
Alkalizing foods include apples, bananas, cabbage, broccoli, beans, potatoes, pumpkin, millet, honey, alfalfa, non-distilled vinegar (organic apple cider vinegar), squash and most fruit and most vegetables.
High oxalate foods to avoid include beet greens, rhubarb, spinach, beets, raw endive, dandelion greens, okra, kale and sweet potatoes. http://www.marinurology.com/articles...ds/oxalate.htm

Old 19th November 2004, 07:37 AM
Boxer Insane

Our yorkie had bladder stones and had surgery to remove them. The vet analyzed them and they were calcium oxliate stones. He was on a RX food for about a year and then I started feeding him regular food. I feed both my boys Eagle Pack holistic. Good luck.
Disney - Yorkie 4/95 - 11/09

Old 21st November 2004, 11:48 PM
Super Boxer

Little Galveston ended up coming through surgery just fine. The food that the vet gave us is cans of Hill's Canine s/d. They said she will need to be on this for a month then switch to k/d or something like that. We are going with what the vet says for now as I am not sure what a better alternative would be. On the plus side, Galveston does like the food and it has not caused any diarrhea or upset tummy.

Old 22nd November 2004, 12:15 AM
Boxer Insane

Talking Sending healing vibes!

Glad Galveston made it through sur. fine,I know he will be feeling better soon, now its over with.Sending hugs & healing vibes! Hanley