Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > Feeding

Feeding For general feeding and nutrition related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 9th November 2004, 12:45 PM
Boxer Insane

Question Feeding Guidelines

Just wondering if people generally follow the feeding guidelines listed on the dog food. I feed Mega Wellness and the feeding guidelines recommend 2 1/2 - 3 cups per day for a dog of his weight (65 pounds). Mega is tall and lean (can see his ribs) but I feed him 4 cups (2 in the morning and 2 at night) and he gobbles it up. Anyone else have this situation? I don't think I should cut back on his food even though it's a high quality food, should I?
Sponsored Links

Old 9th November 2004, 01:23 PM
Boxer Booster

I've been wondering this too. I feed Chloe Wellness Fish and Potato. For her size, it says to feed 1 1/4 cups to 2 cups per day. I feed her twice daily, a cup in the morning and a cup at night. She laps her food up within just a few seconds. She does get treats between meals.

I have been giving her 2 cups per day, but she would still eat 1-2 cups more, if allowed. I don't want to overfeed her and I sure don't want to underfeed her. I have tried to research and find out what others do but I can't find anything online that helps in this area.

Hope someone can help us!

Old 9th November 2004, 01:26 PM
Elusive Moderator

Nope, no need to cut him back. It sounds like you're doing the right thing by feeding him more You need to feed an amount to suit your individual dog, and the best guide to that is how he looks - if you're seeing ribs, then he's clearly not consuming more than he needs to.

It's worth remembering though, that the guideline on the packet is just that - a general guide. Dogs are just like people in that some of them run on the smell of an oily rag, and others seem to be bottomless pits. Also like people, their metabolisms may slow down with age - so Mega may not *always* need to eat quite that much. You'll know, of course, if that ever becomes the case, because he'll start to gain too much weight

The bottom line on ALL foods is that you need to feed according to your dog's needs. If the dog is constantly hungry and is thin, then it needs more food (or occassionally a better quality food). If it is too fat, feed less. And of course, perfect weight = don't change a thing.

Old 28th November 2004, 12:20 AM
Boxer Insane

I am a firm believer that if your dog or pup is showing ribs, and/or showing signs of hunger and wants to eat more.Then feed him more! There's nothing wrong with feeding him more than what the bag of kibble states. Younger dogs more than older dogs tend to eat more, and need more nutrients. So feed him a little more. And believe it or not, all dogs won't eat until they bust. Both of my boys stop eating when they are full. If they show signs of becoming overweight, that's when you should start cutting back. But until then, give them more....remember boxers are high energy and most have high metabolisms, so what the bag says may not be ideal for your individual dog. And this may not work for you....but up until both of my boys were 2, their bowls were always out, and always full. If anyone walked by their bowls and they were empty...we refilled them. This allowed them to eat how much they wanted, when they wanted to. And neither of them were/are fat. Good Luck.

Herkie...aka Fathead
Kuma-05/01 to 01/26/05 run wild & free now beautiful boy

Old 1st December 2004, 04:22 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

No Way!

Chicken Soup sugests 2-3 1/4 cups... Luka (14 wks) would never eat that much. He hardly eats 2 cups a day. He just is too excited- and I figure he musn't be that hungry, otherwise he'd eat it! I'd definately feed him more if he needed it tho... it's just a guideline

Old 1st December 2004, 04:31 PM
Boxer Insane

Talking

as long as you remember those are just guidelines. Adam usually eats 5 cups a day (not counting what he steals from Evie ) He would eat all her food too- usually about 4 cups a day - if he could get away with it! LOL Of course, Evie is loosing her extra baggage in this deal too But, Adam is still a growning boy and is already 90 lbs!!
~my dear Smitty at the bridge Oct '90~

Old 2nd December 2004, 06:21 AM
Boxer Insane

I recently switched over to Wellness chicken. Napoleon (11 mths) always acts hungry even though you can tell by looking at him he is not. Most days he eats about 4 cups. He is 75lbs and still growing. Sandy (3.5 yrs) eats about 2.5 cups per day and acts satisfied but looks a little thin to me, she is 52 lbs. They both get yogurt and treats.

Should I increase their food or add canned food to their diet?
Someone told me canned food that would satisfy them a little better.

Debbie