Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > Feeding

Feeding For general feeding and nutrition related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 30th January 2004, 07:22 AM
Boxer Insane

Question Molasses for a Diabetic Dog?

I know this may be a stupid question; however, I'm going to ask. Is molasses a form of sugar? A family member's dog has been diagnosed diabetic and we have been trying to find diabetic treats that he'd be able to have. A lot of the all natural dog treats contain molasses and we were wondering if molasses is actually a "form" of sugar.

Thanks for the help.

Linda
Louie, Flashy Fawn, 4/22/12
Sponsored Links

Old 30th January 2004, 08:26 AM
Boxer Insane

Yes, it's a form of sugar (juice from sugar cane), so probably not the best choice for a diabetic dog. Although I've never done it myself, I've heard that it's easy to make treats from canned dog food - you just roll it out and cut into squares and then bake at a low temperature until dry and crunchy. Try a search - I think someone has posted exactly how to do it before. I've also seen some other recipes for treats on this site that I don't think have any sugar (or other sweeteners).

I got curious and did a little checking on some of the treats I use - Innova Healthbars don't have added sugars. There would be a little sugar from the apples and carrots, but they are low on the ingredient list, so shouldn't be much. My dog loves them. (I did find that molasses is in some of the others I feed, though.)

Old 30th January 2004, 10:13 AM
Boxer Insane

Hi Linda!

I saw your thread and was worried that it was Murray who had been diagnosed with diabetes - glad it's not him.

Anyway, coming from a long line of diabetics (which I'm not, fortunately)... yes, molasses is a form of sugar.

With diabetes, you need to monitor simple sugars as well as complex carbohydrates which convert to sugar in your body. This especially means things made with flour (particularly white flour) which includes a majority of dry commercial treats.

If the diabetes isn't bad, then an occasional flour-based treat should be okay. The problem arises when the diabetes is being carefully controlled by medication - eating simple sugars (sugar, honey, molasses, fructose/glucose, etc.) will spike the blood sugar in a bad way. Complex carbs will also raise blood sugar levels, but not as drastically. In fact, a bowl of oatmeal (complex carbs) can be used to bring up low blood sugar in a gradual way. My diabetic grandma used to have oatmeal or toast every morning for just this reason - after a night of no food, she was very lethargic in the mornings and the oatmeal or toast would bring up her sugar level in a controlled fashion.

I guess I'm just trying to say that there can be hidden dangers to feeding diabetic dogs. I'd suggest making some high-protein low-carb treats at home - take a look in the recipes forum for treats that are meat based with minimal flours or grains.

Give Murray a hug from me and tell him Buster sends him a lick and nubby wiggle...
Christopher, Benji and Jonny