Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > Feeding

Feeding For general feeding and nutrition related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2002, 02:47 PM
Boxer Booster

Soaking Dry Food

I read an article a couple of days ago written by a vet at one of the veterinary associations. In it he said if you soaked your dry dog food it would be better digested and nutrients absorbed into the dogs system. Since then I have been soaking Baxters dog food for the recommended ten minutes. It made sense to me. Just wanted to know if anyone had heard about this (or does this). Just thought you might be interested...please don't ask me the exact site ... I can't remember or find it. If I do I'll update my post>

Mom to Gunner, 18Mth old. flashy fawn boy
Baxter (Rainbow Bridge)
http://baxterspages.tripod.com/index.html
Sponsored Links

Old 13th March 2002, 03:23 PM
Super Boxer

When Max was a little puppy, we used to soak Max's kibbles in warm water. But not because we were told it was better, just because it was easier for him to eat and more appealing due to the smell.
Hobbes - angelicon german shepard mix waiting at the bridge (05/20/93 - 03/15/99)
Kit Kat - rescued cat

Old 13th March 2002, 04:01 PM
Boxer Insane

The main reason you should soak dry (kibble) is to let it expand before it reaches your dogs stomach. This pre-expansion is a way of reducing the chance of bloat in your boxer. It is far better to have the dry (kibble) expand before it enters your dog than have it happen an hour or 2 after eating it. When we were feeding dry we would soak it for between 20 & 30 minutes in warm to hot water before serving it up. The warm water just quickens the soaking process up a bit. You just need enough water to cover the food & there is no need to drain any excess water before serving.
If you are interested in how much expansion there is in dry food place a cup full of dry in a bowl & add warm water, leave to soak over night & then see how much dry you end up with.

"Life moves pretty fast.
If you don't stop and look around for a while, you may miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Old 14th March 2002, 08:36 AM
Boxer Booster

We add warm water to Kosmo's food too. He is only 8 weeks and it is easier for him to eat. I usually just add some water right before (a minute or two) I serve it but it sounds like I should be soaking it longer. If this is done to prevent Bloat, should it continue into adulthood? I always just assumed it was to make it easier on their little teeth.
Thanks for the info!!

Kosmo- flashy fawn male with docked tail and natural ears (born 1/14/02)
Elmo- cat (4 yrs)
Mom to Alexandra (7) and Justin
(4)
Wife to Mike

Old 14th March 2002, 08:46 AM
Boxer Insane

As long as you feed your dogs kibble it should always be soaked. Also keep up on the dental cleaning as soft food is the harshest on teeth. It tends to stay on the teeth longer. When Rocks was on kibble I soaked his food for 15minutes with very hot chick broth or veggie broth. I diluted it enough to where the sodium content was not as high. If I made my own (which was most of the time ) then there was not much sodium in it at all.

Matt is right that you want the kibble to expand before it goes into the system. This helps the digestion process and helps in reducing the chances of bloat. Remember kibble stays in the dogs digestive system for 12+ hours, so the process is made a little easier when it is already expanded......whew didn't mean to blab for so long!

Old 15th March 2002, 03:29 PM
Boxer Booster

I soak Lou's food b/c I've been told (by some knowledgeable Aussies) that it helps prevent bloat.

Scooby Lou, born 9/19/01. Semi-flashy fawn boy w/a black mask, docked tail and natural, floppy ears.