Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > Feeding

Feeding For general feeding and nutrition related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd August 2012, 12:36 PM
Boxer Buddy

Exclamation Nature's Domain Dog Food (Long)

Hi Boxer Buddies,

So I found out yesterday while I was at the vet that Marlee (6 1/2 months old) may have an allergy to the food I'm feeding her. She is currently on Iams 1-6 Premium Protection Adult food. The vet said that it is uncommon for dogs to have solely an allergy to their food (only 10% of dog's allergies are caused by food), and she also said that Marlee was almost too young to have developed a chicken-based allergy (one of Iams first ingredients is chicken). When I bought her from her previous owner, she told me she was on the "blue bag food from Costco that was grain free", but since I didn't have a membership to Costco, I switched her over to Iams.

I thought Marlee had a wicked ear infection because she was digging at her ears all the time, making them bleed, and even causing the hair on the outside of her ear at the base to wear thin. Also, I noticed that she was getting this little white spots on the top of her head that would occasionally bleed. Upon taking her to the vet, the vet said the spots looked like hives, and if she's digging at her paws (which she sometimes does), then it may be an allergy to something. Also, she said she didn't have an ear infection, that her ears were extremely irritated and sore due to the allergy (hence why she kept scratching them). So, the vet prescribed an ear-soothing liquid to put in her ears, and also allergy pills. The vet told me not to change her dog food quite yet, so that if Marlee gets soft stools from the medication, then we know what it's from, rather than guessing if it's her meds or her change of food....

So my real question is... Who's had their dogs on Nature's Domain dog food? I've read through the ingredient list (no artificial crap/corn fillers), and it's fish based (which the vet said we may have to put Marlee on if it's her food causing her allergies). This is the food she was on before I got her, and she never had hives or anything, and her ears were fine. So I'm thinking I should switch her back to her regular food and ditch the Iams (after her medication is gone). Also, her eyes have been tearing pretty bad lately and she's been quite gassy.

I've only had her for almost a month now, and it seems this all started after I switched her food.

Reviews on Nature's Domain please

Old 2nd August 2012, 08:36 PM
Boxer Buddy

Thank you! You were a help. I think when Marlee's bottle of meds is gone (for pooping purposes) I'll change her back to Nature's Domain. If she did well on it before, there's no reason she shouldn't do well on it now. Also, I only mop our floor with a little bleach and water, so it's well diluted, and those are the only cleaners she comes into contact with... Don't think it's that because the reaction wasn't right away, and there's nothing wrong with her feet, but thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on certain cleaners. Scary things, reactions can be!

Old 2nd August 2012, 09:20 PM
Boxer Insane

Check out
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble
Also look at the sticky on top of the feeding forum on choosing a dog food.

I would pick a food from the 6* or 5* categories, certainly no lower than a food rated 4*. Many veterinarians sell Science Diet, so that is what they recommend. I would not feed it to my dogs.

We are Costco members, I looked at Nature's Domain in the store and walked away. My Oscar has allergies and I am very careful about what he eats. He gets itchy feet and black gunk in his ears when he eats anything with corn, canola oil, or beet pulp in it.

Other forum members may chime in, but I would run, not walk, away from anything made by Iams or Science Diet. Just my 2 cents.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiverDiva For This Useful Post:
LILYLARUE (7th August 2012)

Old 2nd August 2012, 09:23 PM
Boxer Insane

Juno used to be on Natures Domain and did fine, but she does not have allergies.

Personally I'd give it a try just because Natures Domain is a much better quality food than Iams. Sometimes life is funny and just because she did well on it before is not a guarantee she'll do as well if she's switched back, but you have nothing to lose by trying since she's already so itchy and uncomfy.

There are tons and tons of other foods you could switch her to that likely work just fine for her too, but I think the Natures Domain is a good place to start since you know she's done well on it.

Old 3rd August 2012, 07:24 AM
Super Boxer

@KendallRose, Tyson is experiencing the same problems. He used to be on Nature's Domain and i changed it to Natural Balance, trying to switch up. Every since he has been on Natural Balance he has had these issues. I've only had him on it for about 3 weeks now. I went last night and got him a bag of the Nature's Domain again. He does great on this. What was the name of the allergy pills and soothing medicine that your vet recommended. I was just getting ready to start a thread with the same issues, when i saw yours.

Old 4th August 2012, 06:47 PM
Boxer Buddy

The allergy medicine she is taking is called Vanectyl P, it's working wonders for her ears. She hasn't dug at them since. And the soothing ointment I put in her ears every night is called Aurizon. Also, Marlee was on Iams for not even two weeks when I started noticing her symptoms. I thought she had gotten an ear infection because I was playing with her with my hose and I thought some water had gotten into her ear and didn't drain... I read that's how it can be caused, but after a visit to the vet, they said it's allergy related, and it's probably something in her food.
The Following User Says Thank You to KendalRose For This Useful Post:
Madea (4th August 2012)

Old 6th August 2012, 09:32 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Yes, it's all life stages. My friend uses it for her puppy and she loves it. It's one of the only foods all three of my pups did well on. Good luck!
Tyson - 5/4/08 - 11-23-12 My sweet boy, always and forever in my heart!

Old 7th August 2012, 07:12 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

That's great that she likes it!!! I would still mix it and transition over a week or so. If her poop is good and she doesn't appear to have any tummy troubles you can go a little faster than normal with the switch, but I definitely wouldn't just totally switch, it may be too abrupt. Also, when I switched from Wellness to ND the amount of food they recommended was more but we stayed at the same 1.5 cups twice a day (adult dogs) and all my dogs gained weight (about 3-4 pounds each) and needed to be slightly reduced in serving size.

I also really like that the kibble is large, it seems to keep my always hungry girl satisified longer. I use only things that come in large kibbles is our rotation.

Good luck and I hope the success continues!!