Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > Feeding

Feeding For general feeding and nutrition related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd March 2011, 08:28 AM
Boxer Pal

Eating way to fast!

My dog eats WAY to fast, or what I believe to be way too fast. To the point where I stop here after she takes a bite so she can chew the food instead of vacuum it all down. Do the different food bowls make a difference? the slow feeding bowls, do they make a difference?
My wife and I think that she had been starved by her owners prior to going to the rescue where we got her from. you can see all of her ribcage practically and she acts like she has never eaten food in her life.
She has put on maybe a pound or two since we got her but she still looks really thin. the vet says she is in perfect health and weight, while on the thin side, but otherwise in great shape.
any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd March 2011, 08:48 AM
Boxer Insane

My pup has been doing this since we brought her home at 8 weeks. She was far from starved! She was eating so fast that she would choke herself, walk away from the bowl for a 1/2 second and have to compose herself. It was scary to watch.
I just took one of her larger toy balls and put in in the bowl with her food. It has made a huge difference. She no longer chokes on her food. Still eats fast but it is much better.
The special bowls designed for fast eaters do also help and I was going to go that route but the ball worked so I saved a few bucks.

Old 2nd March 2011, 11:59 AM
Super Boxer

I have always had this problem too. I tried a fast break bowl. Tennis balls in bowls. Lg rocks in bowls still the same issue so now I take his food and divide it into three servings give him one wait a few minutes than the others. I use a glass pie pan or even a cookie sheet.

Old 2nd March 2011, 04:36 PM
Boxer Booster

We got my hoover dog one of the Martha Stewart slow feeder bowls. It has 3 nubs that stick up in the middle so the dog has to eat around them. I was very skeptical of whether it would work, but it slowed my dog down probably from eating in 10 seconds to taking a whole minute, which was a huge difference.

Old 2nd March 2011, 05:18 PM
Boxer Pal

Invested in Slow Feeder bowl

So we went out and invested in a slow feeder bowl, and used it out tonight. It worked wonders, she went from eating in 10-15 seconds to 2-3 minutes, which may not seem like much, but it is a huge difference!! thanks for all your comments

Old 11th March 2011, 09:05 AM
Boxer Pal

Slow feeding bowls can be costly so I use serving platters. Platters that have 5-6 different section. I spread the food out among the section, it really helps. My baby would eat so fast, choke then throw up. I like these because you can get them really cheap so I can throw them out when they get rough looking and I can change them up based on the holidays! lol.

Old 13th March 2011, 07:44 AM
Boxer Insane

You could also use a ball in the bowl. A little cheaper than a new bowl.
Bailey was a huge gulper when we got her. Thankfully, she has learned that she is getting good food, and she won't have to hurry and eat before her brothers get it. She now eats within about 5 minutes. When we got her (she was being fed Ol' Roy) she would eat it within a minute.
I would just put small amounts in her bowl at a time so she had to slow down. She is still very food oriented, but at least she's not scarfing it down anymore.
Buster/fawn/floppy 11-11-10

Old 14th March 2011, 09:17 AM
Boxer Booster

I got a FastBreak bowl for Cash from Jeffers ($15 for medium size), and it has worked wonders! We noticed him inhaling his food, and thought it might be a good idea to try one of the slow feeder bowls. I read some reviews, and ended up going with the FastBreak based on them. The only gripe I have is that it does not have any rubber grips on it, so Cash slides it all around our kitchen floor while eating. I'm sure I can find something to improvise though.
~cat - Dinah **RIP Jinx 3/02 - 9/10**