Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > Feeding

Feeding For general feeding and nutrition related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 29th April 2009, 10:30 AM
Boxer Booster

Smile How much food does your boxers go through?

I have two boxers. My male is about 70 pounds and my female is about 60. I go through a 40 pound bag in less then a month. It is good quality food, so I was wondering if that is normal amount of food to go through? You guys with more then one boxer how much are you going through in one month? My female seems to be hard to keep weight on her, she is very lean. Is that a female thing, my male is fine. With the price of dog food getting crazy it is so temping to get the cheeper food but I know better then to do that. Just wanted to get an idea of what other people are going through a month. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 29th April 2009, 10:59 AM
Boxer Booster

I think that the amount you go through depends on the type of food and how much you are feeding. When I switched to a higher quality food by dog ate less, there for overall I don't have to buy as much per month. Boxers are lean dogs, it seems that yours are at a reasonable weight, do you feed them the amount that the bag says?

Old 29th April 2009, 12:04 PM
Super Boxer

1 cup= 8 oz ,,twice a day,,,plus a half can of wet dog food per day

Old 29th April 2009, 12:13 PM
Boxer Insane

A large bag of premium food, 26-30 pounds, depending on the brand, lasts us not quite a month, and I supplement with a can of food as a bonus 2 or 3 times a week. When I dabble with RAW feeding and feed a few meals a week of raw meat rather than kibble, the large bag lasts a little over one month. My two weigh 55 and 49 pounds, both are smaller Boxers, and both are lean. They are currently on Orijen 6 Fresh Fish, which I think is a very high quality kibble. I have always had to feed mine a little more than the guidelines on the bag, or they lose weight.

Old 29th April 2009, 12:41 PM
Boxer Booster

They are getting 3 1/2 to 4 cups a day of dry food. I recently heard that cats need to have canned food in their diet or they can have health problems. I always thought dry food was all they needed. Is this the same for dogs? Mine only get dry food, once in a great while I will give them canned food, should they be getting wet also?

Old 29th April 2009, 01:12 PM
Boxer Buddy

i go though two bags of burns with my two girls.. there 20 or 30kg i think.

Old 29th April 2009, 02:30 PM
Elusive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsgfan View Post
They I recently heard that cats need to have canned food in their diet or they can have health problems.
There is a growing body of veterinary evidence to suggest that cats should not have any dry food in their diet at all. And it is linked to a wide range of serious health conditions. You might find this site, run by a vet, rather interesting if you have a cat to feed: http://www.catinfo.org/

As for dogs - I see little reason to suspect that they're substantially different from other mammals (I think you'd look a very long time before you found a medical professional to support the idea of humans consuming a fully dehydrated diet either ). Personally, I would go a very long way to avoid ever feeding an animal solely on a kibble/dehydrated diet.

Old 29th April 2009, 03:54 PM
Boxer Insane

My girl hoovers right at 60lbs. She eats 1 cup in the am and every so slightly under one cup in the pm but we also add in about 2 tablespoons of canned with the evening meal. A total of just a tad over 2 cups a day. She also gets treats throughout the day as well.
She is quite active, like most Boxers and burns calories up pretty well.
She isn't over or under weight.
3 1/2 - 4 cups a day seems like a little more than normal for your female (at 60lbs).
What are you feeding?

Old 29th April 2009, 05:09 PM
Boxer Booster

I am feeding them Kahoots lamb and rice. The first five ingredients are:
Lamb meal, ground brown rice, brewers rice, chicken meal, oatmeal.

They were getting Iams but this was a little cheeper and the lady that works at the pet store has her Rottwilers on it and said they do very well on it.

They don't any skin problems, thank goodness. Maybe I will start giving them canned a couple times a week along with their food.

Thank you gmacleod for the web site. I will diffinently check it out. I have a persian and they don't have great imune systems to start with.

Old 29th April 2009, 05:21 PM
Boxer Insane

We use Blue Buffalo, rotating between lamb/rice, fish/sweet potato and wilderness (grain free). All three of ours get two cups a day with a can split between them at the evening feeding. If any of them start to look thinner or heavier, meal size gets adjusted by a small amount for a short period of time.

Old 29th April 2009, 05:45 PM
Boxer Booster

I thought it was not good to change their food? Or is it okay if it is the same brand?

Old 29th April 2009, 06:02 PM
Boxer Insane

It's not only OK to change food from time to time, but actually recommended to help avoid the development of food allergies.