Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > Feeding

Feeding For general feeding and nutrition related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 27th September 2006, 01:37 AM
Boxer Booster

Question Canned Salmon/Mackerel

I want to start giving my boy some canned Salmon and canned Mackerel.

A few questions:
How much should you feed per week? Can you feed too much fish?
Should I give it to him with or without his kibble?
Which is a better fish for dogs...salmon or mackerel?
If I feed him fish, would I still need to get fish oil?

THANKS!

Old 27th September 2006, 02:57 AM
Elusive Moderator

Things like sardines or mackeral (ie. small fish) are better than large fish like salmon and tuna.

And no, if you're feeding oily fish like that, there's no need to also be adding fish oil to the food (you can have too much of a good thing ). A fish meal once a week, or once every couple of weeks should be plenty. Or if it's just for adding to kibble, then one 450 gram can (about .5 lb) weekly/fortnightly - spread out amongst however many meals you choose. Oh - and if you're buying canned, it's best to get canned in oil (which the dog can consume some of) or in water. Avoid brine or anything else that has salt added.

Old 27th September 2006, 08:10 AM
Boxer Insane

Just be aware that salmon has too much fat for any dog prone to pancreatitis. I found out the hard way!

Old 27th September 2006, 08:24 AM
Boxer Insane

I give Lisa canned sardines in olive oil once every two weeks.

Old 27th September 2006, 01:24 PM
Boxer Booster

Thank you all!

So, I can give the canned fish as an actual meal without kibble? Like a full can of it for dinner one night a week? Is it still balanced?

Or, should I add it to the kibble?

From what I am understanding, it should only be a once a week or a once every 2 week thing?

Is this a better way to get fish oil versus adding actual salmon oil?

THANKS!

Old 27th September 2006, 02:14 PM
Elusive Moderator

Yes, you can give the fish as one single meal. Of course it is still balanced. Or at least, it's just as balanced as if you choose to have a salad for lunch one day a week. It is not every single meal that requires "balance", but balance over time that is important. So it matters not one iota whether you choose to replace a kibble meal with fish, or whether you choose to add a spoonful of fish each day.

I think you could say that one can of fish (thinking roughly 450 gram size) per week or fortnight is plenty. It is irrelevant whether that's a single meal, or if it's spread out amongst several meals. The time frame is small enough that it will still constitute a balanced diet.

As for whether it's better than giving oil - yes, generally, I think it is. Bioavailability of nutrients is almost always highest when food is in natural form OK - canned fish is technically cooked. But I still think it is better than a supplement. Unless, of course, your dog happens not to like it and won't eat it. In that instance, giving oil as a supplement would be the better option.

Old 27th September 2006, 02:39 PM
Boxer Booster

Thank you Gmac!

I gave my boy a small can of Salmon after his dinner last night...so he got both his kibble dinner and a little fish meal. The day before I gave him some Mackerel...at first he wouldn't touch it, but after seeing the cat scarf it down he decided he loved it too! How cute...

I, too, always thought the "natural" source was better than a supplement. Always better to hear it from the pro, though!

Why are the small fish (sardines, mackerel) better than the large fish (salmon)?

Old 27th September 2006, 02:59 PM
Elusive Moderator

Because of mercury content, primarily. Large fish like tuna are very high in mercury and it is not recomended to eat large doses (that's for people - and dogs are smaller, so should be fed even less). Small fish are frequently higher in oil content also. Salmon isn't such a concern, particularly farmed. I guess though, you can just about say the smaller the fish, the better. So little canned sardines and mackeral are good - but larger fish (including larger species of mackeral) are less good.