Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Dog Training

Dog Training Here is the place to discuss training your Boxer (housebreaking...).

Closed Thread

Old 9th January 2006, 07:16 AM
Boxer Booster

When the puppy pee's in the house, whats the best way to discipline???

When Bimmer pee's in the house whats the best means of discipline? I have my own way which is to tell him no in a stern voice and swat his butt. However, this site is about positive reinforcement and I'd like to be more like that, but I need help/tips/suggestions on how to do that when he pee's on the floor. Or is stern discipline ok when he pee's in the house???
Sponsored Links

Old 9th January 2006, 07:18 AM
Boxer Pal

The way I did it was that if you catch him in the act say no in a stern voice and put him outside. It takes a few tries but they eventually catch on. I just got done potty trainig two pups. One still has accidents on occasion but I hear that that is typical for them to have some accidents.

Chicago 11-19-2003 flashy fawn, floppy
Tucson 07/29/2005 fawn, floppy
Savannah 09/22/2005 brindle, floppy

Old 9th January 2006, 07:25 AM
Boxer Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boxerboys
The way I did it was that if you catch him in the act say no in a stern voice and put him outside. It takes a few tries but they eventually catch on. I just got done potty trainig two pups. One still has accidents on occasion but I hear that that is typical for them to have some accidents.
Yeah when I said "NO" he took off down the hall at mach 1 and ran and hid cause he knew he was in trouble. So I took him back over there and swatted his butt and toldhim no, then put him outside where he wasn't happy. So just telling him NO and then taking him outside should do the trick?

Old 9th January 2006, 07:35 AM
Boxer Insane

it worked for baby luna and i also had her on a schedule...out all the time...about once an hour or two even if she was wanting to or not. Then when she went outside and went pee or poo i acted like a nut and jumped and yelled "Yes, Yay for luna, good girl luna!" and clapped in happiness, i didn't care what the neighbors thought....my dog was house broken quickly! You can also bring treats outside with you and give them to him OUTSIDE, if you give it to them when you get back inside they are not sure why they are getting the treat.

and of course clean up the pee inside quickly and get rid of the smell too!!! good luck it takes patience!!!!

Old 9th January 2006, 07:36 AM
Boxer Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmadoodle
Being completely consistent about telling him 'No' then taking him straight to where you want him to pee will work in the end.

It's more about showing then telling.

Think of it as though you speak English but he speaks French & you have to find a way of explaining something.

We often use our hands when we go abroad to speak - it seems to come natural to do so.
Ok, I'll start trying that more often, hopefully we'll be accident free for a while.

Old 9th January 2006, 07:46 AM
Elusive Moderator

Don't discipline the puppy at all. It's your fault, not his. He is too young to understand about housetraining, and you have to take 100% responsibility for providing for his needs. If you fail to do that, it is your fault, not his.

This is a baby puppy you're talking about here. Already yelling at him is causing him to run away and hide in fear. If you punish him for peeing, the only thing you'll achieve is a puppy that tries to slope off where you can't see him to do his business. And that *really* is not a good thing. If he won't pee in front of you, he won't do it outside either. And then you're stuck with standing out there with him for ages until he can't hold it in any longer, or worse, a pup that finds hiding places indoors to pee where he thinks it will be "safe". See how it can be (probably *will* be) counterproductive to get mad?

You can communicate your displeasure when he pees inside - but *only* if you catch him in the act of doing it. In that case, the appropriate thing to do is a loud "Uh uh" accompanied by some hand clapping that is designed to startle (NOT to scare) the puppy into stopping mid-flow. You then scoop him up and race him outdoors to finish. And praise him madly when he does.

Think about how this little puppy is ever going to make the mental connections here. He needs to know that pottying is a "good" thing - and you achieve that by praising him lavishly when he successfully potties outside.

If you scold, scare or punish him for pottying inside, he is far more likely to conclude that pottying is bad - and simply avoid doing it in your presence (and as noted above, that's really not a good thing from your end). So don't let him reach that conclusion - keep the scolding to a minimal "uh uh" and immediately give him the opportunity to get things right instead (ie. get him outdoors quickly).

That will enable him to come (eventually) to the conclusion that it is *location* that matters. And that all potty events are outdoors-only activities. But he's not going to understand that in five minutes. He simply doesn't have that mental capacity yet (any more than a human toddler does). So you must never forget that getting the potty events right is entirely down to you, and keeping an eagle eye on him for any slight indication that he may need to go.

Incidentally, if he potties inside and you miss him doing it - too bad. That's 100% your fault for not watching him carefully enough (you can't have been if he was able to slope off somewhere to potty un-noticed) and not making sure he was outdoors at the right time. Just clean it up and resolve to be more vigilent in future

Old 9th January 2006, 07:50 AM
Super Boxer

Luna's mom had great advice. That's what I did with mine. One thing to remember is that the pup is not messing in the house to be bad. It takes a while to learn. Don't punish them if they are not caught in the act. They will not understand why they are in trouble. It will take a few months to get really potty trained and there will be accidents. Think about how long it takes people!!! Be patient and have rug cleaner on hand. I had my carpet professionally cleaned after my last puppy was finally house trained.

Old 9th January 2006, 09:00 AM
Boxer Insane

I agree with Gmacleod's response, I just finished training my little monster using this method. But I do have a couple of additions:
1. ALWAYS take him/her out to potty on leash. This sure helps with the immediate praise for pottying outside and also helps with good leash behavior and sitting to go out and when coming in (i.e. ask for a sit to get leash on/off) which will come in real handy when he/she is 80lbs and excited. He/she will know that to get the leash on they must sit. Just remember that right now you teaching pottying outside so dont get too wound up on the sitting for leashing. This is a real pain to always leash the dog to go out, but my little one was about 75% potty trained until we went to my parents house, where I had to leash (no fence) and guess what in 2 weeks he became 100% trained. It was worth the effort.
2. Try bell training, my little guy picked up on it in 10-20 minutes. Works great. just do a search for "bell training" you will find lots of tips on how to do this. It is great when I am busy and dont notice when they have to go, now I just have to listen for the bell. and my little man is sitting patiently by the door to be let out.

One well respected author wrote something about potty training that has stuck in my head since I read it, I am paraphrasing here cause I dont remember word for word:

"If you catch your puppy or dog peeing on the floor, the best thing to do is get a magazine, roll it up real tight, and then hit yourself in the head saying "Bad mommy/daddy" over and over again. Then calmly clean up the spot and promise to be more vigilant." ~ Ian Dunbar

I love it!
Fur kid: Drake 08-05

Old 9th January 2006, 09:28 AM
Boxer Booster

Lady luck t I love your quote. I know some people that should do that for raising their skinkids as well as training their furbabys. LOL

Old 9th January 2006, 10:21 AM
Super Boxer

Just my two cents. I don't want you to feel like were ganging up on you here. The problem with swatting is that you are punishing the puppy, not teaching him. It is unnatural for a dog to learn that he needs to ask you to go potty outside. In the wild, he'd just goes as he pleases. So he needs the training. By saying "NO, No" in a stern voice you are voicing your displeasure but then taking him out is showing him the right way. I agree that the swatting will only cause him to hide his accidents. That's how you end up with a stink days later.
Take him out and say, "Go Potty" and reward him every time he pees outside with a rub, a "good boy" and a treat. Eventually he will get it.

Here's a link from me back in Nov. My trainer gave it to me. Similar to ladyluck
http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/sho...148#post736148

Old 9th January 2006, 10:59 AM
Boxer Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacleod
Don't discipline the puppy at all. It's your fault, not his. He is too young to understand about housetraining, and you have to take 100% responsibility for providing for his needs. If you fail to do that, it is your fault, not his.

This is a baby puppy you're talking about here. Already yelling at him is causing him to run away and hide in fear. If you punish him for peeing, the only thing you'll achieve is a puppy that tries to slope off where you can't see him to do his business. And that *really* is not a good thing. If he won't pee in front of you, he won't do it outside either. And then you're stuck with standing out there with him for ages until he can't hold it in any longer, or worse, a pup that finds hiding places indoors to pee where he thinks it will be "safe". See how it can be (probably *will* be) counterproductive to get mad?

You can communicate your displeasure when he pees inside - but *only* if you catch him in the act of doing it. In that case, the appropriate thing to do is a loud "Uh uh" accompanied by some hand clapping that is designed to startle (NOT to scare) the puppy into stopping mid-flow. You then scoop him up and race him outdoors to finish. And praise him madly when he does.

Think about how this little puppy is ever going to make the mental connections here. He needs to know that pottying is a "good" thing - and you achieve that by praising him lavishly when he successfully potties outside.

If you scold, scare or punish him for pottying inside, he is far more likely to conclude that pottying is bad - and simply avoid doing it in your presence (and as noted above, that's really not a good thing from your end). So don't let him reach that conclusion - keep the scolding to a minimal "uh uh" and immediately give him the opportunity to get things right instead (ie. get him outdoors quickly).

That will enable him to come (eventually) to the conclusion that it is *location* that matters. And that all potty events are outdoors-only activities. But he's not going to understand that in five minutes. He simply doesn't have that mental capacity yet (any more than a human toddler does). So you must never forget that getting the potty events right is entirely down to you, and keeping an eagle eye on him for any slight indication that he may need to go.

Incidentally, if he potties inside and you miss him doing it - too bad. That's 100% your fault for not watching him carefully enough (you can't have been if he was able to slope off somewhere to potty un-noticed) and not making sure he was outdoors at the right time. Just clean it up and resolve to be more vigilent in future
I was hoping you'd jump in here, he was outside not 10 mins before he pee'd in the house and did not pee outside. So I am trying to meet his needs. I did catch him mid act and when I said no he stopped mid pee. I took him out he wasn't happy but he did pee outside where I did my usual good dog routine for going outside.

edit:as for pottying inside when I dont catch him, I dont discipline him for that, but its only happened once, happened last night when he got up from a nap. I was doing some dishes and went in there when I heard him moving around. He must have just squirted a tiny bit cause I didn't notice, we went outside and he pee'd. We came in and I was doing some sit routines with him when I noticed it. I didn't say a word, just cleaned it up cause that was my fault.

Last edited by 6SpeedTA95; 9th January 2006 at 11:01 AM.

Old 9th January 2006, 11:02 AM
Boxer Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksjkc
Just my two cents. I don't want you to feel like were ganging up on you here. The problem with swatting is that you are punishing the puppy, not teaching him. It is unnatural for a dog to learn that he needs to ask you to go potty outside. In the wild, he'd just goes as he pleases. So he needs the training. By saying "NO, No" in a stern voice you are voicing your displeasure but then taking him out is showing him the right way. I agree that the swatting will only cause him to hide his accidents. That's how you end up with a stink days later.
Take him out and say, "Go Potty" and reward him every time he pees outside with a rub, a "good boy" and a treat. Eventually he will get it.

Here's a link from me back in Nov. My trainer gave it to me. Similar to ladyluck
http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/sho...148#post736148
Dont feel bad, I posted because I wanted to know the better way of doing this. I knew the way I did it would eventually work but maybe not how we wanted it too. I'm open to correcting my behavior just as much as I am to correcting Bimmers behavior.

oh one more thing, clapping my hands and or slapping the wall/door with an open palm seems to work very nicely when he's doing something I dont want...I clap and say "no" or "enough" and he stops and the sound gets his attention, maybe I'll try this cause I dont wanna spank the little guy

Last edited by 6SpeedTA95; 9th January 2006 at 11:04 AM.