Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Dog Training

Dog Training Here is the place to discuss training your Boxer (housebreaking...).

Closed Thread

Old 21st November 2000, 05:16 PM
Boxer Pal

Question

I adopted a 1-2 year old male from the Humane Society about 3 mos. ago. He has come a LONG way since I've gotten him, He's gained 11 lbs. & now weighs in at 76 lbs. He's a sweet boy and very friendly. Sometimes I don't think he knows he's a dog.

I had to take him to the vet today because he ate a corner peice of the plywood I used to cover the holes he puts in the basement wall.

When we're not home, he stays in the basement with lots of toys and the room is dog proof (so I thought . Used to let him in and out through the dog door until he scaled the fence.

He randomly becomes fearful of strange things - the broom, different rooms of the house, me. Poor little guy is his own worse enemy.

The vet suggested considering CLOMICALM today. Not sure about it. Behavior drugs for dogs creeps me out a little. But I will do whatever it takes to make him a happy guy. If anyone has any advise or knows about the drug, let me know.

We are also considering adopting another dog so he has a friend.
Sponsored Links

Old 15th December 2000, 12:13 PM
Boxer Booster

I had a female that was diagnosed with separation anxiety and it's something that your vet has to determine first. He'll ask you some different questions and then from what you tell him about your pet he'll then decided whether it's that or boredom. I also used the clomicalm and it was unsuccessful. I got her from a lady who lived on a farm and so when I brought Maggie home we got her a crate to put her in for when we were gone. It was the most horrifing desplay. She would make these terrible, painful, howling, crying noises. Something I've never heard before. And she would shake so badly that it would literally shake the entire crate. And she would also bite the crate so hard that her gums would bleed. I sought out professional help with vets,trainers,web sites on the problem and nothing helped. I finally had to find her a new home with someone who lived on a farm so that she wouldn't have to be crated. I don't want to discourage you; maybe your's is not quite as bad as Maggie's was but I wish you all the best.

Mary
Emma 12 week old
flashy,fawn,cropped & docked

Old 15th December 2000, 12:30 PM
Boxer Insane

SampsonsMom,

I agree with Cindy and would try a crate before choosing meds. You will quickly know if a crate will work or not and can go from there. I'm like you about drugs and dogs except I hate for them to have any kind of meds. I don't like putting any form of drug in my body and feel the same with my kids and dogs. I also understand sometimes it can't be helped and the meds are the only way. Good Luck and if you decide to try a crate hopefully it will work.

------------------
Tyson - brindle male, cropped ears (6/18/98)
Prudence - brindle female, cropped ears (8/29/99)
Sheeba - fawn female, cropped ears (1/17/00)
Alisha - Indiana

Old 15th December 2000, 01:19 PM
Boxer Pal

I too own a dog with seperation anxiety(poor rescued boxers, don't know what to do with themselves) First of all, I do not want to discourage you, but it took almost a year before we could leave Me-Tu home by herself longer than three hours. When we first got her we couldnt leave for more than fifteen minutes before she started to destroy stuff. Here is what helped:
We found that at first crating her helped, tremendously. Not only did she do much better in the crate(with her own blanky of course) but she actually would seek it out when she was intimidated by something or the kids would not leave her alone(we told the kids that it was off limits to them and to leave her alone in there) After a few months the gal that rescued her wanted her crate back. We could not afford another but I set up a little place under the breakfast bar with her blanket, a "safe" den if you will. We also found that leaving the T.V. on or the radio helps. She doesn't take the responsibility of guarding the house so seriously and doesn't seem to miss us as much. What did not work was shutting her in the basement, bathroom, bedroom anywhere sh feels secluded. I am guarenteed a thrashed room if I do it. She literally climbs the walls, throws her body against the doors and windows and chews things until she bleeds. She is truly panicked, not angry. Also I make sure the curtain is open so that she can watch for us. My neighbor told me she can look over and see the dog waiting in the window.
So to recap(I never did use drugs)
Put on some music, noise etc.
Try crating or preparing a place that is his,(don't change its location very often, and make sure it is "safe" ie no vacumns(while he is around) brooms etc.
Try allowing him to stay in the house proper if it is possible and crating doesn't work for you.
Hope all this helps, e-mail me and we will commiserate togather
K and rescued brindle boxer Me-Tu, 4 yr female w/ cropped ears and tail

Old 16th December 2000, 11:26 PM
Boxer Insane

My very limited understanding of clomicalm and related drugs is that they are used along with, and not in place of, training. I know of a few people who used clomicalm for a short time - about six months - who also did continuous training with their dogs, and have reported great success. Clomicalm alone did not have the same results. (I don't know about training alone, however.)

If it were me, I would try training first (definitely crate training, for the dog's sake if nothing else). If I knew that I had done a thorough job of training and the dog was still not responding, then I would discuss with both my vet and my trainer the use of drugs and go from there. I always consider medication of any kind a last resort....

Juile

Old 20th December 2000, 05:35 PM
Boxer Insane

This is right up my alley. I used clomicalm for Lexi for six months. I found a behavioral therapist with a masters degree in behavioral therapy and after 3 hours of talking and her taking notes, she gave me a list of activities to do with her and a time frame to do them in in conjunction with the clomicalm...to make a long story short..don't spend the hundreds of dollars on a behavioral therapist..I still have all the paperwork and can fax it to you if you have access to a fax machine and you can use this. Clomicalm was a life saver and a home saver for my Lexi..I have to stress though that you must desensitize your dog while on Clomicalm..alot of people put their animals on it and don't take the time to train them, take them off the meds and they go back to the same behavior immediately and they claim it didn't work. Clomicalm is not a quick fix it is an aid to help relieve the anxiety your dog is having in order for you to train them. Once trained, you wean them off the medicine (about six months) and if you did your part, it falls into place. Lexi is wonderful now. She was uncrateable and yes just like Maggie FREAKED out when put in a crate as a baby and when I would come home she would be shaking, foaming at the mouth, the crate would be upside down on the opposite side of the room with pee strung all over the room from her peeing in the crate and flinging the crate all over the room. When not crated she ate the couch, carpet and padding down to the subflooring, the airconditiong unit outside when left for 30 minutes on a beautiful spring day, ate our kitchen table and the list goes on but finally she tried eating a vase and did herself some real damage and my vet drew the line as I thought she was in a "puppy phase". My vet and the therapist explained that what they go through is much like what a person goes through when they have an anxiety attack and people run for the medicine to help them cope. Sorry this is so long but please feel free to email me. It is not hard work and it takes 15 minutes of your time each day to do the training and the medicine runs maybe $30 a month. It is great if you use it correctly...again it is not it's own quick fix. Good luck! Lexi is great and I hope this provides hope for you and others out there that there is no reason to give up on these babies when it's treatable!

------------------
Aimee

Proud mama of ----
Lexi, 3 year old spayed red fawn female, docked tail and natural ears (ball of fire!!)
Baxter, 5 year old rescue fawn male with black mask, docked tail and natural ears (a true sweetie)
Garrett, 15 year old male miracle sheltie rescue (now waiting at the bridge 12-8-00)
Elvis & Sylvester 5 1/2 year old black domestic short haired twins

Old 23rd December 2000, 01:10 PM
Boxer Pal

Thanks everyone for the advice. Against most people's advice, except for that of my most trusted vet, we put Sampson on Clomicalm. It was either that or many more trips to the vet.

The poor kid is uncrateable, too much anxiety there to put him through it. Living in the humane society for 5 weeks was no help and I am certain that he was abused.

At any rate - HE IS MUCH BETTER!!!!!

Here's what has helped:
1. We started Clomicalm - only a month which isn't long, but seeing some results. Dr. suggests it only for short term (2-3 mos.) and he is on the medium dose (should be on higher for size, but we wanted to use as little med. as possible).
2. Training, training, training.
3. We have a new addition to the family. We adopted another pound puppy - Kobi - is a 14 week old Aussie/St. Bernard mix & the two of them LOVE each other. They play all day and night.

We made modifications to the fence so it is a fortress and the two of them can come and go from the yard to the large finished basement full of toys and beds and all sorts of great doggie things.

I no longer feel sick all day with worry & come home to a house that is trashed and a dog that is totally freaked out.

The vets reasoning, which I really had to think about - dogs have brains just like people and can have chemical imbalances and past traumas. Sampson was having more that anxiety, he was having mini panic attacks.

He's not perfect, but he's better & helping him was my number one goal. I couldn't bare to so what he put himself through. Sunday nights are still a challenge (that M-F work thing), but getting better.

I'll keep you posted.