Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Dog Training

Dog Training Here is the place to discuss training your Boxer (housebreaking...).

Closed Thread

Old 13th April 2002, 09:00 AM
Super Boxer

Question Easier to train a puppy when you have an older dog in the household???

Hi there - just wondering whether it is easier to train a puppy when you have another dog in the household. We are thinking of getting another this summer and were just wondering if it easier 2nd time around. Not that we had huge problems with Oscar - he is fairly obedient and does most things when asked!!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Mummy to Oscar lovicon

Sponsored Links

Old 13th April 2002, 09:22 AM
Boxer Insane

I wish I could say another dog is the magic answer but I dont think it is. I think another dog "helps" but I housebroke Amaya and 2 foster puppies recently and they didn't much care what the big dogs did. The big dogs can help show the pups to go to the door but I don't think the time was cut much shorter than with just 1 dog.
Regal's Full of TENder Grace

Old 13th April 2002, 02:52 PM
Boxer Insane

I have to agree 100% with the above post. they are just puppies . Just have to watch and be ready.

"If you have your health, everything else is a bonus"

Old 14th April 2002, 06:19 PM
Boxer Insane

Cool

I believe it varies with boxers in different cases. In our house Cherokee has helped a lot with the training of Apache. You can tell he totally looks up to her. he wants to do everything she does and so since she's pretty much trained he follows in her example. it can also be a bad thing if the other dog has bad habits because then that's what they'll mimic. Apache has also helped with Cherokee as well though. For us it has been a benefit having an older dog here already. They're only a year apart.

Old 15th April 2002, 10:13 AM
Boxer Booster

i have another dog in the house.. hes 2 years old.. and he only goes outside about 3 times a day.. so i would say its not easier with another dog in the house.. i thought it would be easier myself.. i thought they would go out together and do their jobs at the same time.. but it didnt work out that way

Old 15th April 2002, 11:05 AM
Super Boxer

I don't know for sure if it was because we had an older dog already trained - but training Bailey was much easier than training Lexy. She was totally done in one week - age 4 months. Maybe Bailey was just smarter than Lexy, though! She was an older pup, however, and so was able to hold in longer than a tiny baby can.

We certainly have had an easier time with Bailey not being destructive and suffering from separation anxiety and boredom and I definately think that is because she has Lexy to keep her company.
Bailey Bug Boxer - plain fawn, floppy, docked DOB 7/29/00
Little Miss Maggie May - flashy fawn, floppy, docked DOB 1/15/2002

Old 15th April 2002, 11:14 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I found it much easier to train Owen then it was to train Tegan. Tegan was a little hellian - I mean that in the best possible way of course!

Owen was houstrained by the time he was 9 weeks old, and he has never gone through seperation anxiety or the destruction phase like I experienced with Tegan.

Perhaps Owen was easier because he was the second dog, or maybe because he is male, or perhaps he was just an easier puppy than Tegan and would have been the same no matter if he had and older dog in his life or not...

Good luck with your second one - I hope it goes well.
Payton 7/18/04 AGN.J, AGN, SGDC, ADC, AADC

Old 15th April 2002, 11:22 AM
Super Boxer

Thanks everyone for your input - it's much appreicated!!