Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Dog Training

Dog Training Here is the place to discuss training your Boxer (housebreaking...).

Closed Thread

Old 20th March 2011, 05:00 PM
Boxer Pal

Door Dasher

Hello everyone I seem to have a dilemma on my hands. Titan has discovered freedom of not having to be tied out accidentally and ever since then he will rush the door when people open it and escape. When I am home it is a none issue but I work nights and the wife and kids are having the issue. Would anyone happen to have a suggestion as to how I can go about fixing this? Help would be greatly appreciated. Body blocking has only gone so far since he weighs more than the kids. Thank yo very much
Sponsored Links

Old 21st March 2011, 05:21 AM
Boxer Insane

Hi. How old are your kids? Are they old enough to work with you to teach him sit and stay? If so I would start there. Work with food and you work first with the dog. Have your kids or wife ring the bell, go in and out,etc. while you teach him sit/stay. Then everyone needs to work with him.

If they are very young it becomes more about training them They need to k ow where the dog is before they open the door. I put eyehooks around my house so I could tether a dog whenever i needed to. Bewteen teaching the commands and insuring the kids really knew how importatn tit was to watch the dog at the door we have not lost one yet Good luck

Old 22nd March 2011, 09:19 AM
Super Boxer

This takes training but is totally doable! I've found my kids have left the front door wide open with both dogs sitting there watching a cat cross the yard. Talk about resisting temptation!

You'll need to work on sit and stay and then a release word for being allowed to exit the door. If you have someone to help you it makes it easier so one person can hold the leash and you can open the door...if he gets up, close the door and start over. Personally, I'd use a baby gate in the mean time so he doesn't have access to the front door. Too scary to think of him dashing out and getting hit by a car or lost.

Old 26th March 2011, 08:42 AM
Boxer Pal

I agree on the sit/stay when opening the door. It's a really important one. Have him sit while you put his leash on to go out, then stay or wait while you open the door, then slowly open it. If he gets up, close the door and start over. Let him know that the door will not stay open and he can not go out unless he is staying like you asked him to. Start out small, just a few seconds, and stretch it longer as he gets better with it. The reward being he gets to go outside.

Old 27th March 2011, 10:08 PM
Super Boxer

Could you have him drag a leash around for a bit to help whoever is inside get a hold of him? is that the issue, someone is inside? What about knocking/ringing and doing it step by step? Like have him sit and wait... us we have a small landing down to the entrance so when we were doing it, we never let her down the step. Even if the dog isn't running out you still want to get undressed without a dog jumping i think right.

How old is Titan? Ours is 1.5 and she still gets really really excited. Anyone living in the house isn't that bad... strangers/guests/family over its still pretty crazy. Calm and quiet works good, no extra excitement. Tiles and hardwood... so the paws are moving 100mph sliding all over the place. But yours wants out lol. Keeping at it.