Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Dog Training

Dog Training Here is the place to discuss training your Boxer (housebreaking...).

Closed Thread

Old 19th March 2010, 04:48 PM
Boxer Pal

Can a boxer stay outside from 9-5?

Hi everyone. We just got a boxer TODAY and he is 4 months old and we loveee him! I have the week off with him but was wondering if when I go back to work if he can be outside in the big kennel with his dog house and two other dogs? We live in Nevada so its about 40-60* right now. Advice?
Sponsored Links

Old 19th March 2010, 05:26 PM
Boxer Insane

I would never leave a puppy outside unattended. There are just too many things that could go wrong. Boxers, even as adults, should not be outside dogs. Their short coats and snouts don't do well in anything other than very mild temps.

Old 19th March 2010, 05:30 PM
Boxer Pal

I'm certainly no expert, as I've only owned one boxer in the past (new pup coming April 8th), but I would be hesitant to leave him outside all day. If temps are 40-60, I'd be worried that he would be cold at 40deg. And if it happens to rain all day, he is either going to have to stay confined to the dog house, or be outside wet/cold.

Maybe keep a close eye on the weather forecast and plan accordingly? But if it were me, I would be a little worried about the lower temps. Pups don;t have much body mass/fat to keep them warm.

Old 19th March 2010, 05:39 PM
Super Boxer

I agree, boxers do not do well outside and shouldn't be kept outside. Is there no way that you can keep him in the house either crated or gated off while you are away?? Possibly hire a dog walker to stop by during the middle of the day and feed/water/walk him? Or if you work close to home you could stop by on your lunch break. You could also ask a family member, friend, or neighbor if they could help out. Just some ideas...

Old 19th March 2010, 09:28 PM
Boxer Pal

Smile

thanks for the advice!! My wife and I are just going to work schedules around each other so one of us is always home with him.

Old 20th March 2010, 07:38 PM
Boxer Insane

As already mentioned, boxers being a brachycephalic breed need temperatures that are not too hot and their short coat causes them to not do well in cold weather.

Something else to take into consideration is that when left to their own devices, they can be too smart for their own good. I would not feel comfortable leaving them outside where he could break free and get hurt or killed. Not saying your other dogs aren't as smart but boxers are people oriented and will do what it takes to get to humans.

Another thing that should be mentioned is dogs shouldn't really be kept together unsupervised, especially adding a new dog. If they were to start fighting, and it was serious, they may not stop until death. My dogs are best of friends but I have seen serious dog fights and would not allow that situation to be possible.

I hope you and your wife are able to work your schedules out. Good luck with him.
Dozer (rescued 9/6/07) - Fawn docked and floppy

Old 21st March 2010, 07:37 AM
Boxer Buddy

I leave Tucker outside all day...We have a large kennel with a concrete pad and a canopy on it. We also have a large run for him and my other dog to move around in. When I first put him out when he was a puppy, we had a female bloodhound that took him in like he was one of hers. I guess it would depend on your situation. It can get pretty hot down here in GA, but the concrete pad stays cool under the canopy and there are two large shade trees in the run.

As far as leaving them to "there own devices," they are highly intelligent. We took measures when we built the kennel to keep them in. The only thing we had to add with Tucker is to put something in the latch to keep them from flipping it up. I would not have Tucker in the kennel by himself all day. He has company and they spend most of the day playing.