Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Dog Training

Dog Training Here is the place to discuss training your Boxer (housebreaking...).

Closed Thread

Old 22nd March 2009, 06:00 AM
Boxer Pal

Post How to divide a crate, if it is to big?

Hi everyone,

We're due to pick up Spike next week and in anticipation, we have bought a wire crate on-line.

When we went to see Spike at the breeder, his father looked very, very big, we had never seen a boxer that was that huge! And on the back of that we thought that we would buy a crate that would be big enough for him when he's an fully grown adult.

But how can I divide the crate while Spike is still a puppy? The crate did not come with a divider.

Thanks for reading and am looking forward to your replies.
Sponsored Links

Old 22nd March 2009, 06:06 AM
Reasonable Moderator

You could try finding a cardboard box, that is the right size, that you can fit into the back of the kennel. That is what I did when Markus was a pup. It was in a plastic Vari-Kennel, but it worked just fine. It got a little chewed, but that was it.

Old 22nd March 2009, 12:04 PM
Boxer Insane

I used a laundry basket and turned it upside down as well as a cardboard banker's box and turned that upside down and stacked them on top of eachother.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 22nd March 2009, 12:14 PM
Boxer Pal

Smile

Hi BxrMommieNAZ & Jan,

I'll try and source some boxes and other bit and pieces and try your suggestions.

Fingers crossed, but I'm sure that the crate training and house training will go fine over the next while.

If anyone else has any additional idea's that they would like to share, I would really be interested in hearing them.

Cheers!

Old 22nd March 2009, 01:46 PM
Elusive Moderator

It rather depends on how much time the pup spends in his crate at a stretch - but worth bearing in mind that not every pup needs his room restricted You may actually find that if you keep the time between potty opportunities short (and hour or two), then the pup is perfectly fine with the luxury of additional space and doesn't need his crate divided at all.

If it does have to be divided to persuade him not to pee when he feels the need to, then cardboard boxes are probably the best alternative. Unlike plastic items, cardboard is unlikely to do any harm if chewed and some bits are swallowed.