Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Dog Training

Dog Training Here is the place to discuss training your Boxer (housebreaking...).

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2009, 03:57 PM
Boxer Buddy

escape artist! help stella stay in crate!

My pup Stella is 7 months old now and is a total escape artist! She has been busting out of her crate at least once a week for the past 2 months. We have zip tied pretty much everything but the door, but today she even busted the door! Even on days she doesnt get out, she has moved the crate about 5 feet from where it was. We have been trying to leave her out when we are gone for only 1-2 hours and she has been doing well. But today when she got out, she ripped down all the vertical blinds off the slider door so Im thinking that shes not totally ready to be left out!

I guess Im just looking for advice or ideas on why she is trying to get out so bad... She has no problem going in and always gets a yummy stuffed kong to work on. She has a bed in her crate and doesnt have accidents anymore and she's really not in there more that 4 or 5 hours at a time. Do you think that once she got out the first time, she knew she could do it, so she keeps trying? Do you think getting a hard plastic crate would help?? (we use a wire one now). i did read a previous post about this but was wondering if anyone had any new advice for us....
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links

Old 13th March 2009, 05:24 PM
Boxer Insane

They are sooo smart!! ....
Do you have a soft crate or a wire crate...My Laila got out once from our wire crate but we had inadvertently left one of the side doors unlatched...she has never gotten out again...the wire crates are pretty sturdy....
Barbara

Old 13th March 2009, 06:27 PM
Boxer Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruse View Post
They are sooo smart!! ....
Do you have a soft crate or a wire crate...My Laila got out once from our wire crate but we had inadvertently left one of the side doors unlatched...she has never gotten out again...the wire crates are pretty sturdy....
Barbara
We have a wire crate now, and its all warped because I think she throws herself at the bars to try to get out.....oh I wish I had a hidden camera!!!

Old 14th March 2009, 06:17 AM
Boxer Insane

OMG!! I can't believe it,,,that is one strong boxer!! I wonder if you have a small area like a mud room or the like that you can use as a crated area when you have too???
Barbara

Old 14th March 2009, 06:38 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Zeus busted out of his precision wire crate that I initially had in my bedroom. I put a sturdy lock on the door, which prevented him from getting out until I tried another approach. I put my old mid west wire crate in the living room (which is much brighter than my bedroom) and he did well there. No more escaping on his part. Good luck trying to find what works best for you.

Old 14th March 2009, 01:36 PM
Boxer Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruse View Post
OMG!! I can't believe it,,,that is one strong boxer!! I wonder if you have a small area like a mud room or the like that you can use as a crated area when you have too???
Barbara
I wish we had a room that we could keep her gated in, but our condo is really open and there are not any real doors or walls that are close together to put a gate up on. Oh well...today I zip tied all the corners and then zip tied the warped door and but a caribeener on the other door so that it kinda kept is closed better..I guess we'll see!

Old 14th March 2009, 03:19 PM
Boxer Insane

Did it work when you tried it today?
Samson & Sheena and Sezar & Sadie - all at the bridge

Old 15th March 2009, 06:18 AM
Boxer Buddy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Boys View Post
Did it work when you tried it today?
Yeah, it seemed better. The door doesnt look like she was jumping at it, and the caribeener was still in place and doesnt look chewed at all! I guess we'll see if this crate can be saved or if I need to buy another one.... Hopefully she wont need something reinforced with steel...hahahaha

Old 15th March 2009, 07:51 AM
Boxer Buddy

Did you try leaving a radio or tv on to calm him.

Old 15th March 2009, 08:59 AM
Boxer Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerclan View Post
Did you try leaving a radio or tv on to calm him.
No, i didnt think about that, but I can try it this week and see...thanks!