Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Dog Training

Dog Training Here is the place to discuss training your Boxer (housebreaking...).

Closed Thread

Old 11th June 2007, 03:38 PM
Super Boxer

Training a Deaf Boxer

Can anyone give me some advice on how easy / difficult it was to train a deaf white Boxer? There's a 5 month old little girl in my local rescue that is deaf and my heart just goes out to her. When I mentioned inquiring about adopting her to DH, his first question was how I would train her. If anyone has a good website or resource they could direct me to, I'd appreciate it.
Sadie - my darling gentle souled kitty
Sponsored Links

Old 11th June 2007, 10:51 PM
Boxer Booster

Re: Training a Deaf Boxer

I just acquired a deaf boy today! check out http://www.deafdogs.org/

Old 12th June 2007, 06:09 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucNesbitt View Post
There's a 5 month old little girl in my local rescue
Did you get her?

We are hoping to get a white boxer later this year, and I wondered about possible deafness too, until I suddenly realized that I have already taught Biff quite a few handsignals without realizing it !
Bruno~ 2/6/10 ~ red boy ~ undocked ~ rescued

Old 12th June 2007, 09:47 AM
Super Boxer

we have three dogs.........one fawn male who can hear perfectly when he wants to.........and two deaf whites. one male and one female. all rescues.
Zuki is our female...she will be nine years old in August. Moby is our male...he is 9 months old.
training our deaf dogs isn't much different than training a hearing dog once you teach them to look at you. if it was too difficult to train them...believe me...i would never have adopted a second deaf dog. i can tell you that having a deaf dog isn't for a lazy person.LOL. instead of calling your dog you have to get up and go tap them on the shoulder to get their attention. but it's good exercise for me. sometimes you can stomp on the floor to get their attention but sometimes that can scare a dog that has been bounced around and landed in the shelter.
the first thing i taught our deaf dogs is to look at me when they are tapped on the shoulder or the top of their head. to do that....everytime they looked at me....i had a treat ready for them. i wear a treat bag on my hip at all times. it's a part of me. once they have learned to look at you for a cue or signal...you can teach them just about anything.
there were two books that helped me a lot...one was LIVING WITH A DEAF DOG By Susan Cope Becker. and the other was HEAR, HEAR GUIDE TO TRAINING A DEAF PUPPY By Barry Eaton.
also...if you go to www.deafdogs.org there is a wealth of information and reference material there.
we use standard obedience/utility hand signals for our dogs but sometimes need to make up our own, too.
since we've had a deaf dog for almost 9 years.......all the signs/signals are part of our daily routine now. we don't even remember our dogs are deaf half of the time. we don't give it a second thought. they are happy, well-mannered dogs......that love life.
i say ... go for it....
there aren't many good homes for deaf dogs and if you are willing to commit to this little girl...you will be rewarded with a wonderful dog that is totally in tune with you!
let us know how it goes!

Old 12th June 2007, 01:38 PM
Super Boxer

Thank you so much ... all of you! I'm still working on convincing DH that having a second boxer would be perfectly normal. He's a bit more of a cat person and already sensitive to the fact that our two cats don't get as much attention as they used to.

If I can convince him before someone else snatches her up, I'll let you all know!

Old 13th June 2007, 10:12 AM
Boxer Booster

I have realize I have tought KJ many hand signs with the command and I can get him to the tricks or commands with just the hand sign no words. However I am not quite sure how you would get to the point of no work just sign since she is deaf. Well good luck and congrats!

Old 13th June 2007, 12:42 PM
Boxer Insane

I think it would be wonderful if you could adopt this little angel. we automatically use hand signals anyway, to reinforce the verbal command. sometimes, when they're being stubborn, we HAVE to use the hand signal in order for them to obey. silly boys... keep us posted on what you decide! Good luck!!!