Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Dog Training

Dog Training Here is the place to discuss training your Boxer (housebreaking...).

Closed Thread

Old 25th July 2006, 03:10 PM
Boxer Booster

Question Has anyone trained their boxer to be a hunting companion?

My husband wants to start right away with trying to train Apollo to go duck hunting with him..... :s

I was wondering if anyone else here has a boxer that goes hunting and if so did you enroll him in a class for it?
Sponsored Links

Old 25th July 2006, 03:22 PM
Super Boxer

A companion or a retriever? My Dad and myself trained 3 golden retrievers for duck hunting. And they were great dogs (though one was gun shy), I'm sure a boxer could be a companion but having down my fair share of duck hunting it's safe to say the boxers temperment isn't so well suited to be quiet in a duck blind for hours. Also I don't know how your dog swims, my girl loves water and wishes she could swim better but the bottom line is she's 55lb of the leanest muscle you'll find which makes her more like a lead weight than a fish. One thing you probably won't have to worry about is them being gun shy. Over 4th of July we lit up a bunch of M-80's and M-100's and my girl never flinched. I would say if you're going to do it start as young as you can. I'm not saying it would be impossible just a challenge, good luck keep us posted and have fun.

Old 28th July 2006, 06:06 AM
Boxer Pal

I have been wondering about that as well. I know how well boxers pick up scent. I have been thinking about phesant training. I have a lab puppy and I am going to start with phesant wings and figure that I will include my boxer puppy. I figure that when I start to hunt the lab that the boxer will want to come along, so she might as well have an idea on whats going. on.
Mike

Old 28th July 2006, 06:56 AM
Boxer Booster

Please keep us posted on how this turns out I am also interested in the possibility of training for upland game help. I don't have the faintest idea where to start though so if you come up with pointers feel free to pass them on as well

Good luck!