Go Back   Boxer Board > NUTRITION FORUMS > Dog / Pet food recalls & warnings

Dog / Pet food recalls & warnings Discussion regarding food recalls & warnings

Closed Thread

Old 13th June 2009, 06:15 AM
Boxer Insane

Evangers might be hard to find....

From the FDA release: “The FDA is stopping Evanger's ability to ship pet food in interstate commerce,” said Dr. Bernadette Dunham. “Today’s enforcement action sends a strong message to manufacturers of pet food that we will take whatever action necessary to keep unsafe products from reaching consumers.”

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm166265.htm
Noel, fawn girl
The Following User Says Thank You to boxmom For This Useful Post:
GDOGS1 (17th June 2009)
Sponsored Links

Old 13th June 2009, 02:46 PM
Boxer Insane

WOW! I used to buy the Evanger's 100% meat, but now I use Wellness or make my own because it was too expensive and hard for me to get. Now I'm kind of glad!
Roxy, 9 yr old brindle female, waiting at the bridge 4/10/00-4/10/09

Old 13th June 2009, 03:44 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I recently used Evangers canned, and it gave all three TERRIBLE diarrhea. Not that that was related to the FDA warning, but who knows.

Old 16th June 2009, 09:57 AM
Boxer Insane

Oh shoot! I buy the Evanger's Duck and Sweet Potato for Cornelius. I'm not taking any chances. The last couple of cans are going in the garbage. Now the search continues for another canned dog food - Evangers D&S was the only one that didn't cause a tummy upset for my boy.

Old 16th June 2009, 10:17 AM
Boxer Insane

Thanks so much for posting this. Rolen gets the 100% meat wet food mixed in with his kibble every day. I just bought some more cans last Friday, so I will be taking those back. What other 100% meat wet foods are out there?

Old 16th June 2009, 10:56 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolenKisses View Post
Thanks so much for posting this. Rolen gets the 100% meat wet food mixed in with his kibble every day. I just bought some more cans last Friday, so I will be taking those back. What other 100% meat wet foods are out there?
I use Wellness 95% meat. The other 5% is water, cassia gum and carrageenan. Cassia gum is used as a thickening agent derrived from the seeds of a plant or tree (not sure which one), and is also used in human food such as frozen desserts. Carrageenan is derrived from seaweed and also used as a gelatin I believe. In everything I have read about these two ingredients neither cause any problems in animals or humans.

So, it is mostly meat with water and thickening agents (which 5% isn't a very large amount.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayboxer For This Useful Post:
GDOGS1 (17th June 2009), RolenKisses (16th June 2009)

Old 17th June 2009, 05:42 AM
Boxer Buddy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolenKisses View Post
I was just reading about the Merrick before Grain canned meat in another post! It looks really good! Maybe worth checking it out!
GDOGS1 (17th June 2009), RolenKisses (17th June 2009)

Old 17th June 2009, 06:44 PM
Boxer Insane

just wanted to say thanx for the heads up on this as i feed GDOGS Evangers canned food with his kibble,am taking it back on saturday and going to exchange it for some Wellness core.

MoM & DaD of GDOGS 8/18/05 Brindle,Docked,Floppy and full of Zest

Old 17th June 2009, 10:44 PM
Boxer Booster

wow, i was just looking at a possible wet food to mix into the kibble that would give a change from the blue buffalo that we currently use. looks like i will stick with blue buffalo.
.X.

Old 18th June 2009, 06:50 AM
Boxer Insane

I just changed to Innovo Evo Red Meat (95% meat) to mix with Cornelius' kibble. He loves it!!

Old 19th June 2009, 08:31 PM
Super Boxer

whats going on with all these companies lately,i for one commend the normally "innefective" FDA for doing something that apparently needed to be done to send a message that these are more than just pets,they are beloved family members and needed to be treated with the same dignity as a human that for whatever reason has been tasked with seeing they get the benefit of our wisdom and compassion.

Old 19th June 2009, 09:12 PM
Boxer Insane

Well said, argosrocks!!