Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 19th April 2006, 01:19 PM
Super Boxer

Unhappy eating grass, vomiting, and falling over? (kinda long)

Sometimes Loki eats grass and it seems that he only does it to induce vomiting because he pukes every times he does. He doesn't eat grass that often but he seeks it out sometimes and gobbles the grass up. Now sometimes he just eats the grass and barfs up some mucusy stuff and the grass, and thats that.
But sometimes he eats the grass and starts pacing and heaving, (gulping real heavy,) before he throws up. When he does that he pukes and then falls over on his side! I think that he gets light headed from the pacing and gulping of air and vomiting. He has done this twice before, most recently yesterday. He always gets right back up, nub wagging, and normal...or else he gets up and tries to eat more grass.
I just don't understand why he does this at all. Why does he eat grass and throw up? And why does he fall over sometimes?
My vet said not to worry that he probably just gets dizzy from pacing and heaving. BUT OF COURSE IM STILL WORRIED!
Loki is almost 4 y.o, and otherwise healthy. He still eats & drinks normally through these episodes....I don't get it.

Any advice/help is very much appreciated! Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links

Old 19th April 2006, 01:34 PM
Boxer Insane

I had to re-read the title of your post! You described EXACTLY what happened to my girl this past Saturday. (see post, "ER VISIT")

The only difference was that we brought Cami into the house and I checked her gums and they were very pale. She actually fell over, got up immediatly and then threw up....a massive amount.

I have been doing a lot of research since then and what you described could be Vasovagul Syndrome.

Due to this being her first issue with this and the fact that her gums were so pale we are seeing a cardiologist. It is very normal for them to eat grass and vomit but the falling over part is very scary.

Throwing up bile (yellow) or white foam is usually in indicator of an empty stomach. Easily cured by making sure that they always have something in them. Something as simple as biscuits thru out the day should help to alleviate the nausea.

Last edited by Cami; 19th April 2006 at 01:50 PM.

Old 19th April 2006, 01:41 PM
Boxer Insane

I am so sorry this is happening to poor Loki!!
Bailey eats grass alot if she has an upset tummers and then throws up. So that part is farely normal. I agree with everyone about the falling over, probably just from the heaving. I would still get a second opinion from another vet though. There is a reason he is trying to get sick. Ya know. Good luck and let us know how he is doing.

Old 19th April 2006, 06:23 PM
Super Boxer

Thanks all,
It is just so wierd cuz Loki is fine, you know? Sometimes he gets a belly ache and eats grass to throw up. It's not very often. And even less often that he falls,(yesterday just a dazed stumble, really) after vomiting. Thank you Cami I will mention Vasovagul Syndrome to my vet and do some research.
I don't know why he wants to eat grass or what might be upsetting his tummy in the first place. I've asked him and he just wiggles his nub...go figure! I wish he could tell me. Unless I learn different, I assume that he eats grass because his tummy hurts and he wants to puke.

Old 19th April 2006, 07:37 PM
Super Boxer

Seems like alot of us are going through this. Mopar has been doing the very same thing. After alot of tests and xrays and alot of ducketts later we have IBD. Seems to be going ok right now just have to watch what he eats...