Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 22nd March 2006, 02:36 PM
Boxer Buddy

Question Scab at ear tips wont heal

I recently took Cassius to the vet and he says that this is normal and that it is caused by flapping his floppy ears very hard and that they should eventually harden and stop bleeding.

Cassius has had this since he was about 6 months old. At that age he started developing these hard scabs on the tips of both ears. At first I just ignored them, but then the scabs got bigger and harder and would bleed from time to time. I figured they were just small cuts and that they would heal but after the blood clotted and they scabbed up, they would bleed again another day. They seem to be in this same endless cycle forever. Does anyone with a floppy earred dog have this problem?

Old 22nd March 2006, 02:39 PM
Elusive Moderator

Nope. It's not that uncommon though (and not just with natural ears either - cropped dogs often have similar problems) and is very frequently caused by yeast or other fungal infection. No sign of any of that on the tips of the ears?

Old 22nd March 2006, 02:44 PM
Boxer Buddy

Question

No signs of yeast, fungus or bacteria of any kind. The vet assurred me that there was no infection and no problem. He recommended using the powder that is commonly used for stopping the bleeding in the quick when trimming nails.

So you're saying that this is a common problem for boxers even when the ears are cropped?

Old 22nd March 2006, 02:51 PM
Elusive Moderator

Not common that every second dog has it But common enough that you'll find plenty of previous threads on the forums about it. And yes, sometimes it's cropped ears, sometimes it's natural ones.

Old 22nd March 2006, 02:51 PM
Boxer Insane

We are a floppy family, but Roxy has ALWAYS had the hard tip on her ears. It doesnt bother her, and they never bleed though. She scratches her ears alot, so we thought it was from that or her tags hitting her ears?!
Shaunna
3 kitties

Old 22nd March 2006, 02:55 PM
Boxer Buddy

thanks for the responses. Well Cassius' ears dont bleed all the time and its not a lot of blood (maybe half a drop and maybe once every week or two).

If this condition is common enough, does that mean that it usually resolves itself (bleeding eventually stops)?

Old 22nd March 2006, 02:57 PM
Boxer Insane

Tess has a scab that won't heal on her ear too. She had it for a LONG time, but when we switched her to raw it went away. However, my parents fed them kibble while were were on our honeymoon and it's back. We've switched back to raw, so I'm hoping it will go away again.

Old 22nd March 2006, 03:03 PM
Elusive Moderator

Well, it's the sort of thing that usually has an underlying cause. So yes, if you address that, the problem usually resolves. As already mentioned, yeast is often a cause. And that is always present on the skin of dogs - even if not in great enough quantities to present as an infection, it *is* there.

Anyway, things that often help are high quality diets that are fairly low in grains, and that do not contain such low quality products as wheat, corn, beet pulp, soy, or molasses. And it's worth checking treats too, because you'll usually find those things there (flour and molasses in particular). Added to that, a probiotic in the diet is usually helpful, since that contains microorganisms that help to keep yeast populations down.

Old 22nd March 2006, 03:32 PM
Boxer Insane

OK so do you think Darby has a yeast infection... On the tips of her ears it is flaky but not really dry feeling more greasy. I thought maybe it was because I was not cleaning them well enough. I only use a wash cloth on her face and ears when bathing her. Maybe it is an infection?

Last edited by crowpete; 22nd March 2006 at 03:34 PM.

Old 22nd March 2006, 03:41 PM
Elusive Moderator

Quite possibly. Two things you could try there (assuming you're already feeding a good food, and there are no nasties in his diet - wheat, soy, corn, beet pulp etc) are adding a probiotic to the diet. Plain natural yoghurt will do nicely - but it needs to be unsweetened (no sugar, and no aspartimine either). You can even apply that topically too - plenty people do for their own yeast infections Even if it doesn't help, it certainly isn't going to do any harm.

The second thing is adding a source of omega 3/6 essential fatty acids to the diet. Those are excellent for skin and coat, and a great supplement anyway. Good sources are flaxseed, olive or fish oils - just a tablespoon every other day is plenty. Once again, even if this doesn't provide a cure, it's good for him anyway and won't do any harm at all.

Old 22nd March 2006, 03:45 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesster
Tess has a scab that won't heal on her ear too. She had it for a LONG time, but when we switched her to raw it went away. However, my parents fed them kibble while were were on our honeymoon and it's back. We've switched back to raw, so I'm hoping it will go away again.
Thumper's also cleared up after we made the switch to raw. ~ Cathy

Old 22nd March 2006, 03:45 PM
Boxer Insane

Darby is on Chicken Soup. Treats are bully sticks and milk bone biscuits. Guessing the milkbone biscuits is what is doing it. I will put her back on yoghurt and try to wean her off the milkbone (she wont be happy about that..they are her fav.). Thanks for the info.

Last edited by crowpete; 22nd March 2006 at 03:47 PM.