Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

 
  #1  
Old 4th January 2006, 12:09 PM
tesster's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA - Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 1,617
Unhappy Boxer Suddenly Can't Use Back Legs

Hi everyone. I'm hoping you can help with some ideas as to what might cause my parents' 9 year old boxer to suddenly be unable to use her back legs. She is in very apparent pain and does not want to get up at all. She even, they think, urinated on the sofa where she was laying all day. She has never had an accident.

They can get her to stand, but she really does not want to walk at all on her back legs. She's had a similar episode a few months back after playing at the farm and running around all day. The next day she wasn't eagar to move around, but then she was fine. This time, there was nothing that seemed to have caused it.

We're really concerned. They're taking her to the vet today. What might it be? Arthritis? Hip displaysia would have onset much earlier in her life, don't you think?
__________________
Julie and the little darlings...
Tess (fawn girl, born 23-Jun-03)
Conner (fawn boy, rescued 11-Jun-05 @ 8 months)
Sponsored Links

 
  #2  
Old 4th January 2006, 12:44 PM
gmacleod's Avatar
Elusive Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 15,273
Oooh. I'm afraid I'd guess at something rather a lot more serious than arthritis (except possibly arthritis of the spine - but that wouldn't arrive suddenly). Hip dysplasia should not affect nerves either. If she is losing the ability to control her bladder as well, then you'd have to consider something like a herniated disk in the spine that's affecting nerves as well as bone/cartillage. Well, that's just one possibility and a guess - but I would not be confident that that's a minor and easily corrected problem.
__________________
Not sure, or just haven't read them? Read the Rules before you post please.

 
  #3  
Old 4th January 2006, 12:55 PM
Donna1969's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA/Connecticut
Posts: 2,295
normally hip dysplasia and arthritis

tend to show up gradually and getting worse over time, well from my experiences thats how it went. I would have to agree with gmacleod, its probably some more than that. Wishing you the best of news. Do keep us posted on what the vet says.
__________________
Donna
Carson male,1/22/06 white floppy docked
Echo 2/6/06 Female fawn floppy docked
Blizzard 9/97-12/05 white angel

 
  #4  
Old 4th January 2006, 01:32 PM
tesster's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA - Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 1,617
I sure hope you guys are wrong (for once)! She has gotten slower over the last few months. She hesitates to jump on things and always hesitates on stairs, etc. I forgot to mention that before.

Gwyneth, how do they diagnose things like you suspect? X-rays? If she's calm, do they have to put her under general anestetic to do so?

Thanks,
Julie

 
  #5  
Old 4th January 2006, 02:19 PM
dj_girl's Avatar
Boxer Pal
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA, Texas
Posts: 15
Red face Dislocated disk (?)

Hi, the same thing happened to a cocker spaniel i used to have when i was younger. He was fine the night before, then the next morning, couldnt walk on his two back legs. My parents took him to the vet and they told us that he had a dislocated disk in his spine. This was a long time ago, but from what I can remember, they gave us the option of doing surgery (very expensive) or taking some meds which they said could or could not work. I decided on the meds because my parents were on a budget and to my pleasant surprise, he recorved rather quickly and in a couple of weeks he could function like before. You just have to be extremelly patient and caring for a couple of weeks... and like I did, just ignored the annoying neighboor's kids who made fun of me because I was 'carrying a dog that could walk on his own'. I wish you the best of luck w/your baby :-)

 
  #6  
Old 4th January 2006, 02:36 PM
gmacleod's Avatar
Elusive Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 15,273
I hope I'm way wrong too. And probably am - it's just one possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesster
Gwyneth, how do they diagnose things like you suspect? X-rays? If she's calm, do they have to put her under general anestetic to do so?
General anasthetic and myelography (an x-ray of the spinal canal taken after a special dye is injected). It is not without risk of it's own. http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/cli...myelogram.html

 
  #7  
Old 4th January 2006, 02:39 PM
courtney323's Avatar
Energetic Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: USA - Austin, TX
Posts: 3,147
dj_girl -

You were asked to post your Introduction back in this thread:http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/sho...621#post774621

You need to do this now, or you will be removed.
__________________
Madeline: Flashy Fawn Rescue Girl, 5 years
Lennox: Flashy Brindle Recue Boy, approx. 4 years

 
  #8  
Old 4th January 2006, 05:54 PM
TexasTini's Avatar
Super Boxer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA, Massachusetts
Posts: 444
Shadow gradually lost the control of his back legs (he had degenerative mylopathy). It was so sad to watch. He went from slipping ocassionally in late February to not being able to walk or wiggle his little nub in late July.

He never cried in pain (but we had him on medication for arthritis), but he did fuss a lot. We think he was uncomfortable and it bothered him to not be able to move to where he wanted to go.

Hope your parent's baby is okay.
__________________
Linda
Mom to Sampson (Beautiful classic fawn w/ white socks) born on 7/13/05
I Miss you Shadow 5/94-8/3/05

 
  #9  
Old 4th January 2006, 09:45 PM
tesster's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA - Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 1,617
The vet suspects arthritis, but isn't sure where it is, from what I gathered. They have other problems, so it was hard to get much information. One of their horses has colic which, apparently, is potentially fatal in horses. So, they're tending to him as well.

The said that the treatment for the two things she's suspecting in Reno (the boxer) is the same, so she's put her on an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever and is hoping things will get better. I'm sorry I don't have better information. They're trying to save the horse at the moment.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll keep you updated.

Julie

 
  #10  
Old 5th January 2006, 08:58 AM
crowpete's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,671
I sure hope Reno is ok. Still sending lots of prayers!

Is your horses intestine already twisted? I will send healing vibes to your horse also (I rode horses since I was 3yrs old and love them to death).

Praying for both of your babies!

 
  #11  
Old 5th January 2006, 09:49 AM
Super Boxer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Central California
Posts: 396
Julie:

I would have your parents speak with the veterinarian (when they get the chance) about getting a referral to a veterinary chiropractor. I'd always take this approach before any meds or more invasive actions.

I sure hope they find out what the problem is; I'd really, really be inclined to check out the chiropractic possibilities...

Bob

 
  #12  
Old 5th January 2006, 10:41 AM
tesster's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA - Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 1,617
Thanks Ozzie! I will definitely have them look into that. They live in "the sticks" so I'm not terribly confident that the vet's diagnosis is based on very thorough testing/exam, etc. The vets out there have a general attitude of, "a dog's a dog - it's not like it's making you any money."

So, they definitely might be looking into alternative medicine for Reno if things don't get better or this becomes a chronic problem. Right now, they have her on pain relievers/anti-inflamatory meds to see if that improves the situation. My brother said that she's doing better.

My parents have been out at the land all night with the horse. He's is getting a little better, but not much. They were ready to put him down at 5am because he was in so much pain, but he rallied and started showing signs of improvement. Apparently, the longer the symptoms persist with colic, the worse it is. Two vets have seen him and have really done all they can do, so we're just waiting to see if he gets better. They don't suspect obstruction or that his stomach has twisted. He's not rolling, so the vet said it was OK to let him lay down and rest. He's pretty exhausted, as are my parents.

So, dog and horse are both improving, but the horse isn't out of the woods yet.