Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 29th December 2005, 09:29 PM
Boxer Booster

When are male boxers ready to mate?

I was just wondering about what time in a male boxers life they start wanting to mate.
ears/cropped
Sponsored Links

Old 30th December 2005, 05:33 AM
Elusive Moderator

Wanting to? Well, as soon as they reach puberty. That's anywhere from about 6-9 months usually, possibly a little earlier in some cases. It is perfectly possible that a pubescent male would be technically capable of mating too, so it's very important that a young dog is never allowed in contact with an in-heat bitch. And is another reason why males should preferably be neutered before 6 months of age.

Old 30th December 2005, 06:52 AM
Boxer Insane

If your boy isn't neutered by now he really should be soon. It helps keep them from undesireable behaviors like mounting things, people, etc., marking his territory, often inside the house, and trying to get away and run loose to find any female in heat. Males should only be left intact if they are of proper conformation for breeding, which can be found out by showing and having him evalauted by an unbiased judge of the breed, having extensive health testing as explained in the health testing forum above (which incidentally cannot be fully completed before 24 months of gage), and in the care of an experienced breeder or someone who is being mentored by an experienced responsible breeder. Intact males can often be quite troublesome and it's better for the dog to be neutered before puberty actually hits.

Old 30th December 2005, 08:06 AM
Energetic Moderator

And if you are asking when he will be ready to mate, the answer is after he has proven himself champion in the show ring, and been fully health tested.

Health testing cannot fully be accomplished until he is about 2 years of age. Tests you would need to perform can be found at www.boxerworld.com/health_testing.

Old 30th December 2005, 11:54 AM
Boxer Booster

Thanks for your replies. So I should wait till he is 2 years old to breed him? Duke has great blood lines. His mother was a champion and so was his grandfather. Duke doesnt even lift his leg yet, he just stands there and pees. An unusual thing he does is when my other dog Roxie is laying down or just sitting there ( she is fixed) Duke will go over and sit on her or stand over her. When they play Duke always jumps on her back. IS this a sign of puberty? He is so weird sometimes..lol

Old 30th December 2005, 12:03 PM
Elusive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittany1984
So I should wait till he is 2 years old to breed him?
You should wait until he has proven himself in the show ring as being a good enough representative of the breed to be bred from, and then has passed all of the necessary screening for genetically inheritable disease.

Since some of those tests cannot be completed until the dog is 2 years old, then by definition that means he can't be bred until after that age.

Quote:
Duke has great blood lines. His mother was a champion and so was his grandfather.
That part, I'm afraid, isn't actually relevant Duke needs to be a champion, or good enough to be one (as assessed by someone qualified to do so - meaning a judge). What his parents or other relatives achieved doesn't count for much if Duke himself isn't up to the same standard. That's actually what conformation showing is about - selection of breeding stock. And if the dog isn't good enough, or you're not prepared to have him assessed, then he simply shouldn't be bred at all.

Old 30th December 2005, 07:04 PM
Boxer Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacleod
You should wait until he has proven himself in the show ring as being a good enough representative of the breed to be bred from, and then has passed all of the necessary screening for genetically inheritable disease.

Since some of those tests cannot be completed until the dog is 2 years old, then by definition that means he can't be bred until after that age.

That part, I'm afraid, isn't actually relevant Duke needs to be a champion, or good enough to be one (as assessed by someone qualified to do so - meaning a judge). What his parents or other relatives achieved doesn't count for much if Duke himself isn't up to the same standard. That's actually what conformation showing is about - selection of breeding stock. And if the dog isn't good enough, or you're not prepared to have him assessed, then he simply shouldn't be bred at all.
Based on your statements about the parents/grandparents "champion" status not being relevant to a descendant, then why does it matter if he is a champion or not? Seems to me that the genetically inherited diseases should be the only concern of breeding.

Old 30th December 2005, 07:10 PM
Boxer Insane

I agree wholeheartedly! There are too many boxers already out there with inheritable diseases that should never have been passed on. If you are not planning to show him then how will you determine if he is of proper conformation to improve the breed? If you don't get him a championship, or at least som epoints earned in the show ring, why spend the thousands of dollars on the health testing? He needs to have hips x-rays, holter monitor done on his heart, and many other tests you can read about in the Health Testing section above. Only if he passes those first two "tests" should he even be considered for breeding, and only then with an experienced breeder or with you havnig an expericned RESPONSIBLE ethical breeder mentoring you. Breeding is not to be taken lightly and certainly isn't here. If you intend to be a back yard breeder who refuses to do the right things by your dog and the breed, then please go elsewhere it's not welcome here. If you want to be a responsible ethical breeder and do what's right by your dog and by the Boxer breed as a whole, then please stay you wold be most welcome here. If you have no intentions of doing the necessary and required things to insure he should even be bred, then you aren't a responsible breeder. I hope you are interested in going about it correctly because we need more repsonsible breeders, what we don't need are more dogs bred because someone thinks they are the perfect example of the breed and only wants either money, or a cute puppy from their "favorite dog".

Old 30th December 2005, 07:17 PM
Elusive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del T.
Seems to me that the genetically inherited diseases should be the only concern of breeding.
Really? You don't want a boxer that actually looks like the breed is supposed to, and has the correct temperament too?

That is what conformation showing is for To assess whether or not the dog is a good enough representative of the breed to produce the next generation. That is primarily in construction, and secondarily in temperament. And yes, it does matter if the dog looks more like a bullmastiff than a boxer and has a temperament more like a terrier. Breed a few generations of dogs without consideration of the standard (blueprint for the breed), and pretty soon you've got dogs that barely resemble boxers at all.

You might not care if your pet boxer has a slightly long muzzle. But take that a few generations further, and you end up with a dog that looks nothing like a boxer at all. And how about the temperament? That is supremely important - people choose dogs because the characteristics of the breed are going to fit their lifestyle and family. And when the dog turns out nothing remotely like that, the sad fact is that they end in shelters. So it is most certainly relevant, and health (whilst being extremely important) can never be the only consideration.

The dog has to pass BOTH tests. And if it doesn't, then it is not breeding material. Period. (And hey, it's not as though there's any shortage of dogs that DO meet both criteria - why would you breed from inferior ones?)

Whether or not the dog's parents and grandparents were correct boxers (in construction and temperament) actually is *not* particularly relevant. It's nice, for sure. But it means nothing if the individual you're actually proposing to breed from is himself incorrect.

Old 30th December 2005, 07:26 PM
Boxer Buddy

Ok. I think I understand better now.

I guess my previous post was me thinking more of "show" as being able to listen and walk and sit, etc. I didn't stop to think about markings and stance, etc.

Rocket is our first boxer so we have a lot to learn. I have been reading about the markings, gait, head proportions and all that. He is also VERY intelligent. We have been through 3 "semesters" and he does very will with (unfortunetly due to me) minimal home practice time.

We are still thinking about breeding him (definately the right way) so this is why we haven't neutered him.

I am going to look at the local Boxer Club here in AZ and see about becoming a member.

I love this site and the information it provides. However, sometimes it seems like the word is "No One" should breed their Boxer.

Thanks for clarifying the breeding issue for me

Old 30th December 2005, 07:50 PM
Boxer Insane

Well I will say NO ONE who is irresponsible should breed their boxer=) To be a responsible breeder takes a LOT of knowlege, and help from other responsible breeders, lots of money to pay for the health testing and the conformation testing (showing). There is also the time you have to factor into the whole situation, especially if you are the bitch's owner as well and the bitch dies during delivery. Then you have a whole litter of pups to raise on bottles needing feeing every two hours. As Gmacleod said, if you don't make sure the male and female dogs are GREAT representatives of the breed, which you can really only find out by showing or by being evaluated by an impartial judge of boxers, then after a few years of breeding you have dogs who don't look like boxers any more. The bitches also need all of the health testing done which is not cheap, it can cost thousands. There is just a lot more to doing it responsibly and for the benefit of the breed than most people think or bother to find out about BEFORE they breed. Poor breeding practices and breeding done by people without the proper knowledge will destroy the breed, it's already happening at an alarming rate. I dont want to see them become so sickly it's almost impossible to find a healthy one, and I don't want to see them not look like my beloved squishy faces after a few generations or poor breeding.

Last edited by Vela; 30th December 2005 at 07:52 PM.

Old 30th December 2005, 07:55 PM
Elusive Moderator

LOL - no, it's not a case of "no-one" should breed their boxer. But as in all things in life, there's a right way and a wrong way (or a responsible and irresponsible way) of going about it. We on this site believe wholeheartedly in responsible breeding practices ONLY, and that is the only thing we will allow to be promoted here.

Anybody can become a breeder. But the dog(s) you propose breeding need to be proven breeding material, and while there are a whole lot of people out there who want to breed their dog (for reasons ranging from some misguided desire to spread their dogs genes far and wide, to making a few quick bucks), there aren't too many people who're willing to invest the time and money required in actually making sure they'll be doing the breed a service and not further harm by doing so.

Let's remember that it's indiscriminate and ignorant breeding practices that are actually responsible for this breed being afflicted by such serious health conditions as it is So it's no small issue.

Anyway. If you want to learn how to become a breeder, joining a boxer club and getting involved in showing is absolutely the way to start You could take a look at this page too: http://www.boxerworld.com/rescue/top6/ That page gives you a pretty good overview of what are never acceptable reasons to breed any dog. But once you get through that, it also gives you a good overview on how to go about learning to do it the right, responsible way.

And if you're not put off by the need to have your dog properly assessed (in health, conformation and temperament), then good! You're the sort of person who should be breeding dogs.

Incidentally, it may seem like nobody should breed their boxer. But we get quite a number of people wanting to post about breeding their dog on this site (despite the obvious - and deliberate - lack of a breeding forum). Once they hear about the health testing and conformation testing required to do it responsibly though, you could just about count on one hand the number of individuals who actually want to know more about that - to learn.

We also insist that anyone who comes to the site and wants to post about their breeding programme first provides us with proof of the health testing they're undertaking. That would take 2 minutes to email. But you know what? Not one single person so invited has ever been able to do so. 99% of the people who want to talk about breeding on this site are BYBs in the making, or commercial puppy millers. We have spam attempts daily. But this site isn't, and never will be, a resource for the benefit of backyard breeders.

Those who are interested in learning to breed responsibly are very welcome. And we'll help with information and advice to the extent we can. But the sort of people who aren't interested in doing things responsibly aren't actually welcome on the site at all