Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 21st December 2005, 02:47 PM
Boxer Buddy

Dry scabby nose for 2 months now

My wife notice somethin on tysons nose back in october. Its like a white gray scabbing ont eh top of his nose.

i thought he maybe scraped it ,

but its now been close to 2 months and its still there. it doesnt bleed

we took him to the vet for a check up and forgot to ask the vet but the vet also didnt point it out.

i just dont know what it is we did have to put down some powder around the house for ants when we moved to our new home. could he have been sniffing around ?

i just dont know why it hasnt gone away
Sponsored Links

Old 21st December 2005, 03:35 PM
Boxer Insane

It could just be a scratch that isnt healing well but i would definetly have the vet take a look at it. Hope it goes away soon. Sending lots of kisses.
Boxers are really people with short legs and fur coats

Old 22nd December 2005, 06:56 AM
Boxer Insane

Atlas has this on his nose. The vet called it cauliflower nose. He told me to keep lotion on it. I put vaseline on his. My vet said boxers get this sometimes. My other boxer Abby had it also.

Old 24th December 2005, 06:53 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I used to use Vitamin E, but currenty I use Bag balm on Barron's nose to prevent it from getting dry and crusty.

Old 24th December 2005, 08:43 AM
Super Boxer

Shadow had this too! (the last couple years of his life)...

I've often wondered if it was a combination of the junk I fed him (Beneful and Iams) and also the fact that he had a hyperactive thyroid.

Old 24th December 2005, 09:32 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I don't think this condition is related to junk food because I only feed Barron the best - Canidae for food & Mother Hubbard and Blue Dog Bakery for treats.

Old 24th December 2005, 12:04 PM
Boxer Insane

It could be an allergy.

Our first Boxer, Rocky, had the crusty, scaly, condition on his nose. We switched to a lamb and rice diet and while it didn't eliminate the problem entirely, it helped reduce the area considerably.

If a dog is allergic to chicken, the "quality" of the food doesn't matter. If it contains chicken, the dog will react to it.

We used vitamin E, and when we were diligent, it would eliminate the remaining small stubborn spot that remained after switching to lamb and rice.

While vitamin E, vaseline, and bag balm all help, I wonder how Chapstick would work? It certainly is more convenient and less messy than any of the others.

Tom