Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 19th December 2005, 12:55 PM
Boxer Booster

very worried...6 yr old with weakness, pale gums, etc.

My 6 year old male had what I thought were two seizures this morning - episodes where he collapsed and wet himself but then came to. We immediately went to the vet where they checked him out and took blood for tests, the results of which we will know tomorrow.

He has been completely lethargic all day and has not "gone back to his old self." He refuses to eat (he is a raw fed dog, and refused a plate of cubed steak). I took him outside once, and he collapsed again and laid there on the cold driveway until I could coax him up.

I also just noticed that his gums are really white.

He's not acting in pain, not panting, just laying around. He reacts when I come into the room.

I just called the vet and he's due to return my call soon.

I don't like what I see when I do web searches for any of the above symptoms!!
Sponsored Links

Old 19th December 2005, 01:01 PM
Boxer Booster

This must be so scary for you! Lola had an episode the other night where she fell over onto her side when she got up and it freaked me out. I can't believe how protective I am of her. It breaks my heart when she's not well, and I'm sure you're feeling the same way. You're baby will be in my thoughts. I hope everything works out!

Old 19th December 2005, 01:02 PM
Boxer Booster

I wouldn't wait for the vet to call back. I would take him in NOW. Sounds like he is in some type of serious distress and needs immediate medical attention.

Old 19th December 2005, 01:05 PM
Boxer Booster

I hope everything will be ok, FH's dog (he lives with FMIL now) has been having fainting spells for the last 4 years, the vet can't find anything wrong with him, he's 13 so we just figure he's getting old, I hope he'll be ok, my boy is almost 6 so my heart really goes out to you and him. Good luck

Tyson * fawn, docked, floppy ~ 03/29/00
Chloe * brindle, docked, floppy ~ 03/05 ~ adopted 11/24/05

Old 19th December 2005, 03:54 PM
Boxer Insane

If his gums are pale it could be a heart issue-not enough oxygen. I hope he's ok.
Megan 4 yr old brindle rescue

Old 19th December 2005, 03:59 PM
Boxer Insane

Pale gums could mean a lot of things including shock, anemia and heart related problems.

Hope you get to the problem of it soon. If it is anemia, the vet should know right away from the CBC heart problems would probably take a little more prodding
Sheba- waiting at the Bridge for me

Old 19th December 2005, 04:39 PM
Boxer Booster

The color has come back to his gums.

The vet thinks it may be heart-related. My husband will be home in about 20 mins and we're going over to the emergency room. His earlier "seizures" may have been cardiomyopathy-related fainting spells.

I'm very scared because he hasn't gotten up off the couch in hours, although he's still responsive. We'll see if/how he reacts when his daddy gets home.

Old 19th December 2005, 05:04 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

i know i would be so scared. I am sending ((((hugs)))) and hope that your furbaby will be okay. keep us posted on how he is doing.

Old 19th December 2005, 06:53 PM
Boxer Booster

i hope he's okay..keep us posted!!

Old 20th December 2005, 08:27 AM
Boxer Booster

Thanks. He's at the vet's for the day, receiving fluids in hopes that that will perk him up. The hope is that he's still recovering from the seizures and will snap out of it soon. Just in case, they are also going to take chest and stomach x-rays to see if there are any masses that his blood work didn't reveal. His blood work was normal, as was the EKG we had done last night. The main thing now is his lethargy and lack of appetite. Hopefully he'll start feeling better once the fluids get in him and he'll start eating. We left hamburger and rice with the vet in case they think he'll take something. We have our fingers crossed!